Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-30-2021, 08:02 PM

Default 300cc ><'21 GG vs '21 Beta RR VS '18 GasGas

Need to make a decision here soon and interested in other's thoughts on this.

1. Stay with my current ride, 2018 EC300- 640 mi, 56hrs
2. Beta 300 RR 2020 (or 2021)
3. 2021 GasGas 300

Needs:

-Has to be plated as easily as possible.
-Best foundation for techy singletrack, at elevation. Currently in Colorado and start about 8k feet and go up from there.
-would like to do some enduro racing

I like my current ride but feel like Beta may have a bit more power and a better platform moving forward. I like the Beta having the oil tank so on epic rides I can pull into a gas station and fill up.

I like the idea of the '21 GasGas with fuel injection but not totally on board with a red KTM... I have ridden KTM in the past and fine with them if it is the best platform for my needs.

I cannot afford to buy new bikes each year so I need to make a decision and stick with it a few years.

Thoughts???

Thank you all in advance!

Old 01-31-2021, 09:08 PM

What do you think you're missing out on with the 2018 gg? Is a newer bike going to be that much more improved?
Just a couple of questions I would ask myself if in your position.
Old 02-01-2021, 04:20 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I must agree with Gez. If you are happy with the one you have, why bother changing? For your 2018, spare parts are available (through Rieju), and 56 hours is nothing for such a bike. Just do a suspension service, lube the link bearings and go on. When you pass 100 hours, replace the piston.
If you feel that the 300 ist low on power, there are ways to improve it, eg.g by making sure the head is optimal. And of course the jetting.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 02-01-2021, 10:35 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I was in the same boat. I was looking for a new bike this year (I turn 60), and when I did the math and took a realistic look, I decided to keep my 2002 (!) GG, and do some updates. (I am into it for about $1,400. i'll post on "what did i do to my GG today thread"). Much of that $1,400 was really not NEEDED (new ARC levers, for instance, spare clutch pack, clutch slave and master rebuild kits, new carb slide (finally time to experiment with jetting), etc.). I just wanted to treat myself a bit.

I bough the bike used with no idea of how many hours. When I bought it, i just stuck a new piston kit in it. At 450 hours on one piston, the piston looked good, the ring end gap was good, but the cylinder had a bit of a lip on top, so i decided to re-plate and new piston. What the heck. I've had it for 15 years.

Bottom end is perfect. Just a bit of polish on the small end of the con rod. Maybe in another 10 years i'll replace it.

I looked at TMs, Beta, KTM, and Sherco. If you REALLY look at them, there isn't much difference in architecture, and the only real thing that stands out is the TM AL frame. (Those ARE really pretty bikes.)

Freshen up the suspension, work on jetting a bit, maybe new plastics (buy the new Rieju plastic kit for $200), and you're good to go. Other than Rieju tweaking the E-start a bit, the new bike is essentially the same as the old one ("won't get fooled again" - WHO reference).

Carry a pint or two of oil with you - easy peasy.

I am pre-retired, have plenty of dough, but i can't seem to justify a new bike when for 1/7 the cost of a new one, i'll be able to ride this for another 15 years. I guess i am frugal, but the money i don't spend on a bike, i can spend this summer riding for 2 months straight.

Cylinder is being dropped off today. Yee haw! Back in action in a few days.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:59 AM

Thank you for your thoughts guys! I had always wanted a Beta and I like the oil injection idea. Last year they did the counter balancer so this year, maybe they have it figured out. I would like to try some enduro races this year if possible so was just looking at a possible "upgrade" in power, weight, suspension, etc. I may just go by the shop and kick the tires on the Beta but may end up hanging on to the GasGas.

Thank you all again!

B.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:05 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

All FWIW -

I've learned that is impossible to buy a bike "by the book" (or by the magazine ) - that is, other people's reviews may turn out to be different than your experience. I once bought a brand that "everyone" said was the best bike they had ever ridden. They were right - but they were right for them. I didn't "gel" with it, it was a smaller platform and the suspension wasn't up to par. That's OK - I was out to find the "best bike" and I learned something in the process. That one didn't "feel" right. When I rode the 2018 GG, I found the bike for me.

So if you like your GG, I'd encourage you to find a way to ride those other bikes before purchasing. If you can't, then if possible wait to sell your current ride until you've been able to compare it with the new one in back to back rides (careful though, I've done that and have yet to sell my 2006!).

I admit I have not ridden a Beta yet (only Sherco and Husky TPI). The Betas look great, and would be high on my list - but appear in the showroom (and from the reviews, which I just said to take lightly) to be a slightly smaller bike, which is good for some people and not for others. It's also possible that Beta suspension (whether KYB or Sachs) may need some work to match the action of your current GG suspension (which I find to be great!), but that may depend on your riding style. Can't really know until you try though!

All good choices, and all good fun!

Jeff
Old 02-01-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerj View Post
All FWIW -

I've learned that is impossible to buy a bike "by the book" (or by the magazine ) - that is, other people's reviews may turn out to be different than your experience. I once bought a brand that "everyone" said was the best bike they had ever ridden. They were right - but they were right for them. I didn't "gel" with it, it was a smaller platform and the suspension wasn't up to par. That's OK - I was out to find the "best bike" and I learned something in the process. That one didn't "feel" right. When I rode the 2018 GG, I found the bike for me.

So if you like your GG, I'd encourage you to find a way to ride those other bikes before purchasing. If you can't, then if possible wait to sell your current ride until you've been able to compare it with the new one in back to back rides (careful though, I've done that and have yet to sell my 2006!).

I admit I have not ridden a Beta yet (only Sherco and Husky TPI). The Betas look great, and would be high on my list - but appear in the showroom (and from the reviews, which I just said to take lightly) to be a slightly smaller bike, which is good for some people and not for others. It's also possible that Beta suspension (whether KYB or Sachs) may need some work to match the action of your current GG suspension (which I find to be great!), but that may depend on your riding style. Can't really know until you try though!

All good choices, and all good fun!

Jeff
Yup, for sure, understandable. For me, the GasGas does not give me that "just right" feeling. I had a KTM that after a little dialing in, it felt great, so I definitely know that feeling of which you speak. That is a bit of why I wanted to kick tires on a Beta as well. Who knows though. Thank you for your insight and happy riding!
Old 02-03-2021, 01:50 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

that is so true, never buy a bike based on a magazine review - a few examples being the canondale being bike of the year and numerous rave reviews of the bmw.

With them all being heavily reliant on advertising it is difficult for them to be totally honest without jeopardizing their pay check - that being said it is sometimes very revealing when you read a current review and they sometimes point out all the shortcomings of the previous year's bike - i suppose it is a form of clearing their conscience
Old 03-16-2021, 03:54 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I'm curious - did you ride different bikes, and decide which to buy?

Even after investing in my GG, i still look at other bikes. Am i cheating?
Old 03-16-2021, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz11 View Post
I'm curious - did you ride different bikes, and decide which to buy?

Even after investing in my GG, i still look at other bikes. Am i cheating?
Nah, you are not cheating. Years ago the yearly progression of bikes was exponential. Every year the "new" bike was so much better in every way. Suspension, power, electronics, ergos, etc. That went on for about 2 decades. It has now reached a bit of a ceiling it seems. Bikes produced within the last 5 years are so very close (you could even say the last 10 years), that it will come down to the rider.

I do not know what you ride but if you like it, ride it. If you see something else that catches your eye, maybe it works better for you, maybe it does not. But hey, that is half the fun of this right? As long as you are on 2 wheels and having fun, twist it and rip it!!!!!