Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:03 PM

Default 04 EC 300 Hard Starting

Hey guys,

I am looking for some tips to ease starting the bike.

I went to change the oil today and following the user manual attempted to start it and warm it up to get sediment suspended in the oil. But it took waaaaay too many kicks to get it started.

After it fired up and warmed up etc... I pulled the plug to take a look. Its a dark brown/slightly wet looking in color...

The bike is stock as far as I know with no performance mods other than the fmf pipe and silence. I bought the bike as a wreck with a broken sub frame, plastics and the pipe was bent. The silencer is also damaged but I havent replaced it yet.

Recently I picked up a used FMF Fatty to put on the bike. The first time it fired up there was a TON of smoke so I am wondering if maybe the pipe may be semi plugged? I also noticed a little bit of blow by at the exhaust opening so I am wondering if the seals or springs are bad or possibly a bent pipe causing an air leak? Like I mentioned the silencer is damaged where the tip moves around freely so maybe its clogged as well? I know it doesnt mate up correctly with the pipe right now as I get blow by there as well, even with the rubber coupling.

Any tips etc... on what I can do to make her start easier? I love the bike but I dont want to look like a nerd that cant start his "exotic" bike...

Old 01-20-2010, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordfeyr View Post

Any tips etc... on what I can do to make her start easier? I love the bike but I dont want to look like a nerd that cant start his "exotic" bike...
There's something wrong they start easy.
Lots to check but I'd begin with fresh fuel if you have any doubts.
Other things; air leaks, manifold first, fuel tank vent working, reeds ok, crankcase compression, cylinder compression, strong spark - should drive spark across a 10 mm gap from a kick, float height, jets correct and unblocked. Exhaust constricted as you suggest. Sure there's many more but if it's been standing - fresh fuel, flush the old out of the lines and float bowl.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:32 AM

Try tipping the bike on its side long enough for fuel to run out the overflow hose. It should start right up using the choke and no throttle. I had the same issue until I finally got my jetting dialed in.
Check the jetting sticky and see what others are running. I suspect you will benefit with a needle change. I think others have found success with the CCK needle.
Good luck!

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 01-20-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostby View Post
Try tipping the bike on its side long enough for fuel to run out the overflow hose. It should start right up using the choke and no throttle. I had the same issue until I finally got my jetting dialed in.
Check the jetting sticky and see what others are running. I suspect you will benefit with a needle change. I think others have found success with the CCK needle.
Good luck!

Good point. I found when I set my float height so it didn't piss fuel out the overflow at the slightest provocation it was a little harder to start. And I agree CCK needle is the one for the 300 if you want smooth throttle response.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:18 PM

I have an 2006 GG300, it was really hard to start when cold, laying on side works, but I found out that you are not suppose to twist the gas when cold, just pull out the choke and kick. my bike always starts within 3 kicks.
best of luck.