Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:05 PM

The 2018 is a very nice package already, maybe some refinements. I like the GP extras and I like sand cast cases. Just my 2 cents.😀

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar

Old 05-24-2018, 09:39 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
How dare you, Sir.

How dare you.
O I'm all kinds of daring!!
One time I even rode a dirtbike!!!

Honestly though GG needs to keep updating to attract repeat new buyers. They know that just like everyone else does. And like it or not the hottest item on most riders lists right now is a counter balancer. Then FI. Unless they got some other cool trick up their sleeve that we don't know about.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:44 AM

Just from this dirt bikers perspective, counter balancers mean nothing to me. I've ridden forever without them and don't see the need.

FI would be nice but currently it's not all that it's cracked up to be on a 2T. Watched my buddy this past weekend with his new KTM 250 with the FI having a hard time getting it started after it had already been run. He looked rather perplexed over it and we gave him a bit of ribbing over it. My old carb bikes normally start 2nd kick cold and 1st time rest of the day. Also don't like on the KTM version that if you drop the bike you have to actually stop and inspect that there are no air bubbles in the 2T oil feed line or you could hurt the engine. That really sounds like a PITA to have to do during a race. Hopefully it gets better.

The only things I think need improving is to keep trying to reduce weight, as long as it doesn't sacrifice reliability, ditch the stinking auto-retracting function of the kickstand for the US market, and fix the weak clutch cover and/or redesign the rear brake lever so we don't see the failure of the cover any more. Of course, this is all assuming they have already done all the ECU, starter wire, and battery upgrades.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 05-25-2018, 08:45 AM

I would only be happy if they said it was totally redesigned new frame, engine, suspension, and more fluff.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:00 AM

There is a lot of testimonial in this thread for the intrepid Spanish Marketing team to further investigate.

?Simple? fixes to simple problems. Less weight but don?t sacrifice durability. A few minor tweaks here and there.

As for FI, all of my riding friends have FI 4T KTM, Betas, etc. But even a few of them have a ?Baja Bike.? A six to ten year-old carbed 4-stroke that has less things to fail in a week of remote riding in Baja Mexico.

They *do* appreciate EFI in Colorado elevations, though.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:48 AM

Maybe a bit less weight and redesigned e start like the other brands. If the current e start proves to be pretty reliable long term, that's less of a concern.

Counterbalancers and EFI 2Ts are far from necessary, certainly nice, but I'd love a cheaper lighter bike without those things, personally.

I like that the "boutique" brands offer something different than KTM in a competitive package. People will ask gasgas and sherco and beta to have all things that KTM has and then scoff when the price goes up. I appreciate the differentiation and hope that there are enough similarly minded riders to keep us from having 4 brands making the same bike with different plastics.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:50 PM

counterbalancers? Pfffffffft!

Parts omitted rarely give problems.....
Old 05-25-2018, 09:18 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus_Flat View Post
Maybe a bit less weight and redesigned e start like the other brands. If the current e start proves to be pretty reliable long term, that's less of a concern.

Counterbalancers and EFI 2Ts are far from necessary, certainly nice, but I'd love a cheaper lighter bike without those things, personally.

I like that the "boutique" brands offer something different than KTM in a competitive package. People will ask gasgas and sherco and beta to have all things that KTM has and then scoff when the price goes up. I appreciate the differentiation and hope that there are enough similarly minded riders to keep us from having 4 brands making the same bike with different plastics.
concerning the E-starts on the '18's... I have a measly 350km on mine. But it has not missed a beat even once yet. (other than a time that a connection I had not put back together properly came apart. But that's my fault.)
I'll keep posting back if it develops any issues. But right now its a half second press of the button and it's running every time.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:01 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

why the hate on the kick stand on the 18's??? Im starting to think Im the only person who likes the auto retracting function of it haha
1999 Excelsior Henderson Super X
2003 FZ1
Old 05-26-2018, 07:23 AM

My e-start is rubbish cold and mediocre at best when warm. 2018 GP300 but only has a couple of hundred kilometres on it.

May be better when it loosens up a little.