Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:26 PM

Default 2019 ec300 fuel

Hello everyone I have just taken delivery of a brand new ec300r, I took it for its 1st ride yesterday and did a nice running in period before slowly getting up to speed...
It ran a little boggy at 1st and i thought nothing of it with it being tight, through the day I started giving it a more power until it reached the 25mile mark and then started riding it as I normally would..
I did a route I do alot, my re fuelling point is at 47 mls from home my old 250 exc 2t would use about 5 lts of fuel well the gasser used the full 10lts I got to the fuel station on fumes... set off again to do my normal route home which is a distance of 60 miles i normally get home with a 1/4 tank left but I used 1 full tank 10lts and had to stop and put another 5 lts in to get home...
The bike fouled a plug so I changed it but the only one I had was a NGK BR9eg I noticed instantly it was running better ( will a 9 be ok to run or should I put a 8 in )
The next thing I noticed was when it was in the rain mode on the map switch when you shut off on a decent it made a clunky noise from the engine NOT the chain slapping, but when its in full power mode this disappeared ???
So can you guys point me in the direction of what to check.
I have had the carb and checked it and its got the standard jetting in and needle on the 3 position, the air screw was out 2 turns, I have just watched a video on float height so I will have to check that next..
I am really concerned on the amount of fuel the bike used has anyone else had this problem...

Old 10-22-2018, 04:38 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default 2019

Photo's of the bike Please. Correct the squish and you should be good.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

And get rid of that stock needle!!

I ran out of fuel at 60kms on my 2010 when it was new, on stock jetting. After some work and a better configuration it'd get to 100kms without having to switch to reserve pretty consistently.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john r b View Post
how do I correct the squish and how do I upload photos please
Old 10-22-2018, 04:53 PM

[img] e24670eb[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E24670EB-610A-46F5-928A-26957FEC2871.jpg (128.3 KB, 87 views)
Old 10-22-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john r b View Post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EA0EB445-9380-4EC9-AA89-D2902C68EAC2.jpg (124.1 KB, 50 views)
Old 10-22-2018, 05:34 PM

From everything I know and I'm sure others will tell you...the bikes leave the factory with very rich jetting, this results in poor/boggy throttle response, terrible fuel consumption, fouling plugs, etc.

My advice would be to check the carb float height, fit the recommended spark plug, then adjust the jetting.

Once you get the carb set up somewhere near it'll be great.

Plenty of info about jetting on this forum, just do a quick search.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the squish at this time, that can be done later depending on how serious you are and if you feel the need.

All the best, Dave.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davehuge View Post
From everything I know and I'm sure others will tell you...the bikes leave the factory with very rich jetting, this results in poor/boggy throttle response, terrible fuel consumption, fouling plugs, etc.

My advice would be to check the carb float height, fit the recommended spark plug, then adjust the jetting.

Once you get the carb set up somewhere near it'll be great.

Plenty of info about jetting on this forum, just do a quick search.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the squish at this time, that can be done later depending on how serious you are and if you feel the need.

All the best, Dave.

Cheers Dave I will crack on and get it sorted...
Old 10-23-2018, 02:02 AM

If you give us your location/altitude/temperature then Jakobi might be kind enough to suggest a starting point for jetting, to give you a head start.

The standard no.7 slide is usually OK, so it"s a matter of trying different needles, main jets, pilot jets and clip positions. Most important to just make one change at a time, then test and keep notes so you don't get lost.

Make sure you're using a good quality full synthetic oil mixed at 50:1 (usually 50:1 but please check).

If you speak to your dealer (where you've just spent thousands) I would hope they'd help you out with supplying jets/needles at a discounted price! I wish GasGas and other manufacturers supplied a selection of jets/needles with their bikes.

Congratulations on your new bike, it looks stunning, I'm very jealous!
Old 10-23-2018, 06:18 AM

Congrats to your bike, I bought the same one recently. Let the squish alone at the moment, you will get it dialed in soon. the high fuel consumption is due to the too high float level, as it has been said before.

Open the fuel tap, wait 10 seconds, then tilt the bike slowly until you reach about 45 degrees. You will see that fuel spills out of the carb much earlier at about 60 to 55 degrees. Then its time to set the float height a tad lower. I have no clue about your tech skills but its not very difficult.

Next get rid of the standard needle, its crap. If you are not someone who is a racer or do a lot of WOT riding, especially in deep sand I recommend you to spend a few bucks on a JD jetting kit.

Alternatively you can try a NECW needle which should work better than the standard one.

Its a brilliant bike, have fun with it.

Thats mine: