Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 05-21-2008, 01:20 PM

Default Review: Rekluse Z-start clutch

I installed a Rekluse clutch in my bike last week after riding my buddy's KTM with one. All I can say is wow. This sucker is great and I highly recommend it.

Installation:
I was a little worried about installation since there was a shipping delay and I didn't get my clutch until Thursday after work (I was leaving Friday afternoon to go racing in the Okanagan). My worries were pointless since the kit comes with everything needed including excellent instructions. I used the included 5 tungsten balls and used the L1 spring with 1 washer. Setting the gap takes a little time but nothing major. The brake pedal spacer they include is crap (looks nice, but isn't exactly a great performer) but luckily my brake pedal cleared the clutch cover without it.

Riding Impression:
Wow. I tested it by running two races over the weekend on pretty nasty BC terrain. The clutch performed flawlessly over the weekend and made the bike so much easier to ride. I had to adjust my riding style by staying on the pipe more and not lugging the bike all the time, but otherwise it was great. You do need to shift the bike, though I found I didn't need first gear as much. I loved coming into corners, locking up the rear wheel then just rolling on the throttle coming out. I passed a lot of guys on technical climbs (especially rocky ones) because it's as simple as gas and go. I really like in on long downhills. No more pulling in the clutch to keep from stalling.

I kept the lever on my bars and do use the clutch override from time to time. Feel is very light, but manageable. It doesn't fully disengage at high RPM, but until they make a Pro version for the GasGas I'll live with the current setup.

The only time I didn't like the Rekluse is on loose sandy hillclimbs. It still performs well, but feels weird. I'll live with it as I love it for everything else, especially rocks.

I do plan on trying the 10 tungsten ball setup in the future since Jim and a few others highly recommend it.

So, in summary, I can't say enough good things about the rekluse. Riders of any ability should give it a try, because it will probably make you faster.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:11 AM

Technology is a wonderful thing. Rekluse is a great example of a technology to make us more effective in what we choose to do - riding.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyManiac View Post
It doesn't fully disengage at high RPM,...Riders of any ability should give it a try,
All my buddies have Rekluse. I'm scared to try one because when I screw up it usually results in WFO. I've saved myself from injury, or worse, many times just because I always have a finger ready to pull in the clutch when this happens.
It seems every time they almost have me talked into getting Rekluse I have an "incident" that changes my mind.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:58 PM

I took my Rekluse out because it made me lazy (lazier) on my 300. I find that I attack more without the Rekluse. I must admit though the Rekluse is magic in nasty rocks.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:05 AM

Lazier or more efficient? I attack more with the Rekluse simply b/c I have more energy to concentrate on things like rock gardens, super steep techy switchbacks, etc. No more kick starting on the sides of hills or in the middle of technical sections. Pick the bike up still running and help it with a little throttle to the safe zone.

I still use it much like a regular clutch but when I get to the rides crux after 70 miles all I worry about is opening the throttle, pointing her and holding on with fresh arms. Sandy motocross type terrain is the only time I miss the regular clutch. The new Pro Model fixes that issue...too bad they haven't fitted one for the GG's
Old 08-13-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasIdaho View Post
Lazier or more efficient? I attack more with the Rekluse simply b/c I have more energy to concentrate on things like rock gardens, super steep techy switchbacks, etc. No more kick starting on the sides of hills or in the middle of technical sections. Pick the bike up still running and help it with a little throttle to the safe zone.
I am more effecient. I have the pro on my YZ 250 and I love it. Totally made me a better and faster rider, hill climbs are easier too. I especially like it whe I roll up to my friends and not have to find neutral or clutch in when we are waiting a little.

Yesterday I emailed rekluse to see if they are making a pro for the gassers 2ts anytime soon. Pehaps they would if more people asked...
Old 08-17-2008, 08:04 PM

Couldn't hurt to keep hounding them. I ride with some of the Rekluse boys on occasion and I know that they are slammed trying to keep up with the popular bikes. Not likely to see any Pro model for the GG's anytime soon.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:06 AM

Here's an update after riding damn close to a season with the Rekluse.

I rode with it up until mid-August, just before I left for the ISDE in Greece. I took it out of my bike at home and brought it with me to Greece, unsure if I'd run it or not. Once there, I decided not to run it as I'm not 100% sold on clutch life with the Rekluse. There is more slip in the system and I didn't want to have to replace plates mid-race at the ISDE. This was a good decision as there was really no need for the Rekluse, besides saving a little energy in some spots. The stock GasGas clutch is great and the 250 makes so much bottom end it's still easy to ride in the technical stuff. +1 for keeping it simple.

I got home from the ISDE and decided not to re-install the rekluse since I was having fun having full control of the bike again. I felt fast and I missed the instant off-idle pull of the stock clutch. Fast forward to this weekend when I was doing final preparations for our local club race (part of the PN series up here). Saturday was course fine tuning so I rode with the stock clutch and had a blast. Sunday was course arrowing so I decided to put in the rekluse again as it would make life easy for arrowing. I had a few issues with the slave cylinder on re-installation so at the moment I have no over-ride, but the rekluse works like a charm. I run it with a 0.030" gap, L1 spring and 5 tungsten balls, 25 steel balls. For arrowing it was great not having to use the clutch, and after arrowing I decided to put in a 'fast' lap around the 45-50 minute/30 km loop. Needless to say, I'm keeping the rekluse in for racing next weekend. I'm significantly faster with the rekluse on all but the most technical hills. On flowy singletrack it's no contest, rekluse wins by a mile. That said, if I were strictly a play rider, there's no way I'd use a rekluse as it takes away some of the joys of riding. But, right now my number 1 priority is to get the best results I can, and to do that there will be a rekluse clutch in my bike for all of the PN races. For desert racing and the harescrambles in Spokane I won't use it since it's all high speed stuff.

To elaborate on the using the rekluse in the technical stuff, I found that you lose the off idle response with the rekluse. Even with the lightest spring in there, it still does not pick up like a manual clutch can. I hope to try 10-15 tungsten balls in it to see if that helps as if I could get immediate engagement with little to no slip, the rekluse would be perfect. I like to use the override to modulate the clutch and want the rekluse so I can hammer on the rear brake without stalling and give my left hand a break from time to time.

So, that's my opinion of the rekluse. Great for racers, not so great for play riding.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:36 AM

You should really try it with 10 tungsten balls, the difference is quite noticable. Much better hookup off idle, though still not as much instant snap as a standard clutch, but very, very nice in our northwest nastiness (western Washington for me). From what you have said, I think you'd like it a lot.
Thank you, Jim Cook, for convincing me to try it. I was on the fence about the Rekluse before I went with the 10 ball setup. Now, if it seems like there's too much clutch slippage, I know that I need to downshift at the earliest opportunity (but the Rekluse lets me get away with waiting a bit for that opportunity if I need to).

Tim H
Old 10-01-2008, 12:25 AM

Tim, that's good news for when you visit again. I won't have to work too hard in the begining, or until your clutch skills come zooming back.

2005 GasGas EC300 (Ohlins front and rear)
2007 Yamaha FZ1
2003 Pampera 280(hers)