Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:36 AM

Default selecting gear please see pics

Putting my bike back together at the moment after a problem.

Put the cranks together and check to make sure I can select all gears, and it does. The only problem is that sometimes it feels like it's heavy to turn and the little selector has not engaged properly (see pic 1). After turning the gear shaft a bit it normally clicks into the right place (see pic 2).

Is this normal, or does the bike have a problem,
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0008.JPG (59.0 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0009.JPG (38.5 KB, 70 views)

Old 04-17-2008, 06:31 PM

That flat metal plate in the left of your picture, the one that slides fore and aft with a spring attached is called the scorpion gear. It is a cheap stamping that may have a small bur on it - a common problem for this part. I had to take it out of my 2007 bike and sand down the edges because it would quit sliding when my oil got a little dirty. - Ken
Old 04-17-2008, 08:15 PM

Gasser raises a good point, but I think what you feel is normal for trying to actuate the trans by hand while it is not moving. What happens internally is the three gear dogs do not always align with the mating gear slots, and the shift will not complete until either the counter or main shaft is moved so the parts can align. Thats why the star appears to be stuck between gear positions. Slip the clutch hub on the mainshaft for more turning force, and turn it while shifting, while putting a slight load on the countershaft. I suspect it will shift fine.

The sticking Scorpion problem is simple and causes the shift drum to not be engaged, which yours is in the photo. Still, it would not hurt to remove it and check/debur the parts while its eaisly accessable.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:21 AM

Cool, I'm thinkin it will prob be fine when it's put together.

Thanks