Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 12-23-2017, 10:06 PM

Took it out for its maiden voyage, very quickly got accustomed to the ergo’s, suspension is awesome out of the box. Added a couple of clicks of damping to the shock. Springs are very close to being in the ball park so I’ll leave them for the time being.
My free pistons firmed up the damping ever so slightly more than the demo I rode due to having a little less freeplay.
I just stuck my favourite needle (n3cj) with the stock jetting and did the float height and it is sweet! Very smooth motor but I do miss the Tm’s rubber mounted bars! They need a tad more height and I‘ll be set!
Starter worked faultlessly every time, but I added some beefier sized leads and wet modded it anyway. I have never liked grease in bendixes anyway. Felt a little dirty using a button and my masculinity has dropped a few points as well!
Very glad I made the swap! I dropped it on the second last rock step for the day but saved any damage by throwing my body under it! It feels like I have some of my bouncy trials skills back too which I thought I’d lost on the Tm, probably due to the smoother and gruntier nature of the gassy motor.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:23 PM

Sorry for the delayed answer guys.

Many thanks for all the information about the new Gasser. That all sounds pretty good to me. We (mate and I) will have a first look at it end of next week. Unfortunately we cant ride it yet, but seems to be only a matter of time.

Concerning the vibes a dealer whom I know since decades said its like the 2015/16 KTM and the 2017KTM's are a bit better but it isnt much.
I found the KTM 2015 (which I had for one season) pretty good, much better than a friends GG 2013 (or 14 cant remember). The GG 2018 seems to be far better...
Old 01-07-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser Nate View Post
Took it out for its maiden voyage, very quickly got accustomed to the ergo?s, suspension is awesome out of the box. Added a couple of clicks of damping to the shock. Springs are very close to being in the ball park so I?ll leave them for the time being.
My free pistons firmed up the damping ever so slightly more than the demo I rode due to having a little less freeplay.
I just stuck my favourite needle (n3cj) with the stock jetting and did the float height and it is sweet! Very smooth motor but I do miss the Tm?s rubber mounted bars! They need a tad more height and I?ll be set!
Starter worked faultlessly every time, but I added some beefier sized leads and wet modded it anyway. I have never liked grease in bendixes anyway. Felt a little dirty using a button and my masculinity has dropped a few points as well!
Very glad I made the swap! I dropped it on the second last rock step for the day but saved any damage by throwing my body under it! It feels like I have some of my bouncy trials skills back too which I thought I?d lost on the Tm, probably due to the smoother and gruntier nature of the gassy motor.
How did you resolve an air vent on cover in wet mod ? I make it the same in Husaberg but there is a larger rubber on electric wire and you need to close the vent on lower side of cover before you put oil inside.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ropheo View Post
How did you resolve an air vent on cover in wet mod ? I make it the same in Husaberg but there is a larger rubber on electric wire and you need to close the vent on lower side of cover before you put oil inside.
I just used a small 5mm vacuum fitting off a road bike, at the top of the cover, then ran the hose up high with a 180 bend at the top. Hasn?t leaked a drop with 25ml in it, starter engages instantly and fires up straight away.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:46 AM

So, you drilled and taped the cover for vacuum ? Can you make some photos ? How is work your starter on cold engine, when the oil is still not warm and densited ? My works correctly when engine is warm (sometimes his stuck on first shot but fast second and he starts good) on cold starter haven't power to twist crankshaft.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:10 PM

Instantly and straight away when cold mate, I also put some proper sized earth straps on as well and ran one down to the starter directly from the battery. I?ll try and take a photo and post it up for you.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:06 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ropheo View Post
So, you drilled and taped the cover for vacuum ? Can you make some photos ? How is work your starter on cold engine, when the oil is still not warm and densited ? My works correctly when engine is warm (sometimes his stuck on first shot but fast second and he starts good) on cold starter haven't power to twist crankshaft.
If you have the lithium battery, this may be the cause for what you describe: The lithium battery needs to warm in cold weather before it puts out full power. This is often done by running the headlight for a short while (30 to 40 seconds?) to warm the battery before pushing the starter button.

'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/
Old 01-10-2018, 03:58 AM

I polished mount bracket from starter and on cover around bolts to raw metal and the difference is huge. Now starter works when the engine is cold without problems. I have to also apply a wire directly from battery to starter.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:14 AM

See if this picture works mate, I highly recommend the wet mod. If anything it saves having to strip and clean the bendix all the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9E79E039-59DF-4459-B697-0C5135326385.jpg (98.7 KB, 72 views)