Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:29 AM
Site Sponsor

Default White puff of smoke!

After a long straight I let off and I get a white puff "cloud" of smoke. Any suggestions? p/v not closing? too hot? timing? Need help quick. thanks

Old 06-16-2011, 07:51 AM

Ron,

If its only during a high RPM/closed throttle condition, then vacuum is higher(compression braking). This means you could be pulling in coolant or trans oil. Any other symptoms? Coolant or trans oil contaminated?

If it happens when the throttle is opened after a hard decel then it couild simply be cleaning out after loading up from a rich pilot, but I'm sure you know this.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:04 AM
Site Sponsor

42 pilot 172 main, fluids seem fine but I will look again today, could it be the p/v not closing fast enough. The bike seems to run really really good plug looks brown/ not white or black. I just started noticing it the last 2 rides. Note: junior is really riding the bike. Never noticed in the woods but have noticed the last two times on an mx track. Any help will be mint as we have a netra scramble sunday. thanks guys
Old 06-16-2011, 08:14 AM

I don't see how the PV would cause that. I guess you have to be sure exactly when its happening, closed or closed then opened throttle. From my experience its typical after a long technical decent mostly off throttle and then hard accel, simply burning off extra fuel/oil, even on a cleanly jetted bike. Should be able to tell if the smoke is from two stroke oil or if its different. If you have a leak down tester in the shop that will tell you for sure.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:22 AM
Site Sponsor

I will get a leak down tester on order today, it looks and seems to be only from full throttle then letting off. "Wide open to nothing", it puffs a pretty big cloud when he gets back on the gas it goes away. I will replace head orings and w/p seal today but it does not seem to be loosing fluid. thanks again for the input.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:30 AM

It won't be the waterpump seal so save your time, the trans side of the seal sees no pressure change from throttle position. Head o-rings/base gasket if its coolant, crank seal/center case gasket if its trans oil. Also check if your trans/PV vent is clear, if blocked you could build pressure and push a compromised seal over the edge.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

I would guess O-ring...Have you had the head off lately?
Like Glen has suggested leak down test.
07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 06-16-2011, 09:31 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
It won't be the waterpump seal so save your time, the trans side of the seal sees no pressure change from throttle position. Head o-rings/base gasket if its coolant, crank seal/center case gasket if its trans oil. Also check if your trans/PV vent is clear, if blocked you could build pressure and push a compromised seal over the edge.
thanks I will check all of the above