Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-08-2009, 10:03 AM

Default Move from KDX to 300ec?

Hi Guys,

I just got back into dirt biking after a 15 year hiatus (I'm 35 now). I bought a KDX 220 last year, did a lot of trail riding and entered my first ever harescramble last week - best time of my life!! I finished 7 ot of 21 in my class and felt great about it. The stock (properly jetted) KDX really surprised me, it was awesome in the tight stuff - the short wheel base was really easy to thread through trees, the engine and gear ratio allowed me to tractor without stalling, and it always started up on the first kick when I needed it to.

The suspension on the fast sections is what let me down though, and from what I've read, there really isn't really much that can be done outside of throwing a lot of money at it and still winding up mediocre at best. I also could use more top end.

A guy locally has a 2001 GasGas 300ec for sale for $2000. It is pretty much stock except for the bars and a revalve by Powerband Racing. He raced it in a few enduros. I'm thinking of putting my KDX up for sale and buying the GasGas so I can be more competive in harescramble and enduros, WITHOUT spending a lot more money.

So my questions are:

Is it easy to get parts for a 2001?
What are the differences between the old and new 300's?
Any weaknesses of the model/year I should know about?

Thanks,
Mark