Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:30 AM

Default Will anything other than a GG front wheel fit a GG?

I'm back again with another question.

After spending a lot of time looking for an oversized rotor for my FSE, It appears that the easiest way to do that would be to fit a complete KTM, Husa or Husky or maybe even a Japanese front wheel. An added advantage to this would be the plentiful aftermarket avail. of a 17" front wheel.
My FSE front wheel has a 25mm shaft. I have not begun to examine what fronts have a 25. So unless I get some help on this, it'll be back to the catalogs

Anybody done it? Anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks, tony

Old 11-05-2008, 11:01 AM

See if they will help you out. Nice but $$$

http://www.radmfg.com/
Old 11-05-2008, 11:18 AM

Check the bolt pattern against a Suz DRZ or Yam YZ, and go from there.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:49 AM

GMP
If your talking about the bolt pattern for the rotor, from my reviewing all the avail online catalogs, only a GG rotor will fit a GG front hub. From the catalogs I looked thru the GG front rotor ID is 108.5 mm and after looking thru the EBC catalog it is the only rotor with that ID.

MotoMaster makes a wave rotor for the GG as well as a bracket. But, so far I have not found any US distributer that carries the MotoMaster rotor for a GG.

The DRZ will not fit. Neither the rotor or the wheel. The DRZ wheel is for a 20mm axle and the GG takes a 25mm wheel.

It just seems like the easiest way to go would be to find a hub from another mnfg. that fits. Next would be to find an adapter to fit to the fork and to the caliper.

Tony
Old 11-05-2008, 06:56 PM

Did you try these folks?
http://www.moto-masterusa.com/
or these folks.
http://www.motostrano.com/supermoto.html
Then there is QTMI local to So-Cal. They may be
able to help.
http://www.qtmi.com/
And of course you asked the guys at Go-Fasters?!?!
http://www.gofasters.com/
Someone must have a GasGas SM front rotor sitting
around somewhere.
If all else fails. Let your fingers do the walking and start
calling the USA dealers.
http://www.gasgas.com/dealers.htm
A new rotor has got to be easier than trying to fit a
whole new hub. I am sure you could get a Tallon or
some other after market hub to work...if you found the
right bearings and spacers. Anything CAN be done with
enough research, $$.00 and time.
I am lazy and choose the path of least resistance.
Come back if you run into a brick wall and we can put
our heads together and see if we can figure it out.
Good hunting. Jeff
Old 11-07-2008, 10:07 AM

Jeff,
Thanks for the help.
I will try to find something stock from the GG SM for the front end and see how that goes. I bought the bike as a project and it appears that it indeed will be exactly that. The more I ride the GASGAS the more I think it's worth the effort. I really do like the dry sump motor and looking at the GG motor side by side with my DRZ the similarities are readily apparent. I like the stock setup on the GG for enduro use so thats not a problem. Off road it is really sweet. But for a street SM, it has it's problems. The first is the minuscule front sprocket. To compensate for that I need to get the rear sprocket down to around 35 or 36 to suite me. Because of the I.D. of the rear sprocket that is not possible. At 38t the sprocket bolts are almost touching the chain. So I might as well change the rear hub as well to something that takes a smaller I.D. sprocket. My DRZ rear might just do the job. Maybe next week I will start to see if I can get it to work. Yesterday, I put a new rear tire on my DRZ (150-60-17) as well as putting a full set on the GG. So, I did put the DRZ wheel on the GG and it is a close fit but I would need a new Nissan brake bracket for it to work. For the front wheel I might just go with a late model Husky hub it is also a 25mm hub unlike the 26mm for all the late model KTMs. It is my intention to find what will fit and than to order Talon hubs, 17" Excel wheels with a 320mm front rotor using the stock caliper.

It seems like a lot of work but even if I had a stock GG SM, I would still to do something about the rear wheel. GG recommends a 140-80-17 for the rear SM but SM tires just aren't made it that size. A true SM tire is avail as a 150-60. The diameter of a 150-60 and a 140-80 is 2".

Yesterday I put a 120-80-18 on the rear of the GG and with the current 41t on the rear, it's exactly where I want it to be. So, to get the same effect with a 150-60-17, I would have to get a 35 or 36t rear which might be possible with the DRZ hub, but not with the GG hub.

anyway, I will continue with the project and any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tony
Old 11-07-2008, 12:42 PM

Ca_Tony. Sounds like a lot of work. I am sure in the end
it will be worth it and you will be proud of your project
bike....but....
Maybe you should just buy a GG SM already made.
There is a guy over in SuperMotoJunkie that has
been trying to sell his for some time now.
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=62630
You may have to join the group to get the link to work.
or search there for "2003 Gas Gas 450 SM/Ohlins"
If you are firm on sticking with a pre-2005 FSE motor.
Do some research as the earlier motors are know to have
some problems.
A friend of mines 2003 swallowed a valve and after a small
truck load of $$ replacing just about everything from the
base gasket up. ~50 miles later it tossed the rod through
the cases and grenaded the motor. In GasGas USA's defense.
They replaced his bike with a new 2005 for all his trouble.
Try getting Honda to do that!
If you do choose to continue with your project. Please keep
us up to date as you are developing some possibly usefull
information for the whole GasGas community.
Best wishes on your project.
Jeff
Old 11-08-2008, 09:21 AM

Jeff,

Strange you would bring up the SM from Mich. It was that post that prompted me to start looking for a Ca. Plated GG months ago. In spite of your comments re. the Dry sump motor it was the dry sump that initially caught my interest with the older GG. My attraction for the dry sump motor has to do with my appreciation for the dry sump in my DRZ and other brands that have them. Seems like the high oil capacity dry sump motors are all known for their high reliability and longevity. I began testing the oil temp in my DRZ this summer after hard rides by sticking a probe down the frame tube and I noticed that the oil temp was always under 260f. That sold me on the dry sump. My initial thought for a project bike was a 07 KTM 530 EXC because all the aftermarket SM conversion stuff was readily avail. The downside to the KTM as far as I was concerned was the limited amount of oil they carried and their propensity to run hot on the street. I have quite a few bikes but none are exactly the way I want them to be for a street SM.

My GG has the motor I want and the light weight and balance factor that my DRZ will never have.

All the stuff above in my previous post has to do with my annoyance with small production companies that go their own way with proprietary sprockets and hubs and they make buying aftermarket parts an unnecessary nightmare. In looking thru the Talon catalog, I noticed that they listed the availability of 17" rear wheels and hubs for FSE but only listed 17" front wheels for the 20mm axle. Probably has to do with not having the right spokes to fit the 25mm FSE hub. Anyway, I thought if I was going to set my FSE up for SM I would do it my way. If I could go with a Husky front wheel, I would have lots of options for brakes. If I went with a Talon DRZ hub, I would also have the options to use a smaller rear sprocket and the larger DRZ rear brake and would also be able to order their DRZ cush hub.

Nothing like a winter project.

Tony