Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:20 AM

Default GPS recomendations

I will be looking into buying a GPS to be used dirtbike riding. Anyone have any recomendations? I am not looking to spend bucketloads of money but also want one that will function nicely for route finding and such.

Paul

Old 05-03-2009, 10:47 AM

I have a Garmin eTrex Legend HCx. It has an extremely sensitive receiver - eight steady satellite signals with three more that come and go while in my basement. Battery life is very good. My only dis is the display. It's a tad small for an old guy that does't want to wear glasses
Old 05-03-2009, 11:34 AM

Paul,

I have a Garmin eTrex Legend as well, but the original one with the monochrome display and 8M built in memory. It has been on four bikes and is bulletproof. All I did was shim the batteries tighter and use dielectric grease on the contact ends. Its waterproof too, after a ride I wash the mud off in the sink. If you don't care about color these are still in production and pretty cheap, like around $150 I beleive. I have all the software and it works great for mapping trails and following previous tracks. 8M doesn't sound like much but you can fit far more topo data than you can ride in a weekend. I can fit north NJ, east PA, and south NY, and these are feature rich areas (more memory). Any unit that fits nice on the bars will have a relatively small display. Whatever you get, get or make a nice vibration isolated mount. The RAM mounts are nice for a road bike but a little to high profile for my taste. I made my own years ago. What I would do now is get the cradle for whatever GPS you choose from RAM (very cheap), and mount it to a thin plate with vibration isolators, the plate mounting to the left or right bar clamp bolts.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I'm with Glenn. Garmin etrx color. I use a Ram ball type mount, in theory this mount should be the cake but in reality it won't stay where you set it, moves around on the ball mount. The gps is top line, TOPO software from National Geographic IMO is the best topo out there. Really makes mapping your favorite trails and newly found trails nice. I even keep it on my laptop and take that and a printer with me in the truck some times so i can print maps for riding buddies on the spot, wierd i know!!!
Old 05-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

One recommendation, put a stick on cover over the screen on whatever you buy. I use the ones for pocket pc's that you can get from Staples or Office Depot. Will save your screen from scratches and rock dings. Will not help when you loop out on that steep uphill,lol.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Site Sponsor

I hate garmin......

I have a 2 year old one and now they want $129.95 per year to up date the maps. I only use the standard mode and my unit has to receive signal and maps every time I use it. I think I only paid $260.00 + for it at Costco and never have been happy with it. It gives bad directions!
Old 05-03-2009, 07:52 PM

For topo work that is not an issue. The MapSource software thet works with the etrex series has free updates. I have a new Garmin Nuvi 255 with a RAM mount on my Ducati and it has been great. Better than stopping and looking at paper maps, I use it to see whats ahead not to tell me where to go. With a small tank on an 1100 cc twin I need to know where the next gas station is.

BTW, you can buy some GPS systems from Garmin direct at a substantial discount for being an AMA member. I paid $169 for my Nuvi about a month ago, with one free update included.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:39 AM

I have a Garmin 60CSx (I think) unit which I'm very happy with >>> for trail riding <<<. But I do think that your intended usage of the unit will influence your happiness. I use mine almost exclusively in "bread-crumb" mode where I track my riding. I then upload the data onto my PC where I maintain a database of trails. I overlay the data on topomaps, GoogleEarth shots, etc. I use the data/software as a ride planning tool. I don't download topo data to my GPS. I don't consult the GPS when I ride (other that to find the truck if I get turned-around). Or sometimes I'll use the GPS to get me to a trailhead. But once I'm riding I look forward at the trail and not at the unit!

And my mount reflects that; I use the provided clip to secure the unit to my chest protector/roost guard. Statistically, I seem to survive wipe-outs better than my bike. I don't seem to slam my chest. So far, so good. I don't think I could say the same thing if the usint were mounted on the bars.

I do use those plastic PDA screen protectors on the unit. They are an effective way to keep the original plastic/glass (?) scratch free.

I can see how one could be disappointed/unhappy with a Garmin Nuvi type of road-unit in the dirt. My understanding of the units is that they're not set up for trail use/bread-crumbing. But I have no first hand experience with one (other than on a road trip).

One "fun-feature" of my 60CSx is the barometric altimeter. Yes, I realize that it only measures atmospheric differences and is literally effected by the weather. But, overlooking that basic limitation, having altitude info is fun. There's a site (gpsvisulizer (?) or something like that), which - among other filters - will colour your track by changes in elevation. The coloured data can then be overlayed on GoogleEarth.

Have fun with whatever you buy.

Dale
Old 05-04-2009, 10:24 AM

I don't understand the importance of map updates. Is it the roads and such that are updated or is the topo info what is updated? What I am after is something I can use to find my way using breadcrumbs provided by friendly locals in new areas.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:38 AM

Paul,

The periodic map updates are primarily for road navigation units and take into account new construction. It generally has nothing to do with topo data for what your interested in. The only updates I have had were to correct minor bugs in the software, like any other software, and it was all free. The eTrex I have, or the newer color models will do exactly what you want, as thats what I do with it. I have everything saved in my PC. Typically I record a track, upload it to the PC, clean it up and add waypoints with notes, like for a tight turn into singletrack that is usually overgrown in summer. If memory fails the GPS backs you up.