Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keg View Post
I am 6'3" and 240lbs. I have stock bar clamps and Ricky Carmichael Low Pro Tapers.

Tall bars are ok for trail riding but when trying to go fast in flat turns sitting down to get drive low bars work. And bending over a little while standing is not so bad. My arms are longer than a short guys, so I don't need them to be higher.

Do you sit and race moto? how would the low set-up work for trail racing?

Old 06-24-2011, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtienneNZ View Post
Lowering my footpegs made a big difference for me
How do you lower the stock pegs? I've been searching the forum for this answer.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdad450F View Post
How do you lower the stock pegs? I've been searching the forum for this answer.
Look at your pegs, cut the round nub off the top portion of the mount and reweld it to the underneath of the footpeg. I did this mod almost 10yrs ago. Yeah, my feet are a little closer to the ground but the increased clearance for the brake and shift lever was well worth it. Plus I'm 6'1" also. With BRP upper triple clamp that moved my bars forward and (CR high bend?) differant bars it's a world of differance compared to my kids bike.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 06-07-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostby View Post
Look at your pegs, cut the round nub off the top portion of the mount and reweld it to the underneath of the footpeg. I did this mod almost 10yrs ago. Yeah, my feet are a little closer to the ground but the increased clearance for the brake and shift lever was well worth it. Plus I'm 6'1" also. With BRP upper triple clamp that moved my bars forward and (CR high bend?) differant bars it's a world of differance compared to my kids bike.
any pics of this? ??

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2014, 09:34 AM
Site Sponsor

I installed stock pegs off of a 09 yz450f. These are a perfect fit and will lower your peg height about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch. They also have a wider platform and don't crack like the stock ones.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:08 PM

Thanks rosco...im going to cut my stock pegs later..today I move the bars forward..also have riser. ..my problem still is gripping the bike with my legs.. my knees are still above the seat..so im also going to order the tall seat...

Old 06-08-2014, 02:59 PM

I AM THE BIGGEST!!!
5'2" 120#

I am probably the littlest gasser haha ;-)
So I have the opposite set of problems .... But it's all kinda similar ...

I love bike fit threads like this because bike fit is so important and so often overlooked!

As other guys have suggested I'd do the following for sure:

1. Get the right size spring.

I can pretty much live with the Regular spring at my weight (ok it is a tad stiff for just trails for me but if it can kinda accommodate me I can't imagine you'd be very happy w it.

2. Get the tall seat.

This is the best thing you can do, it's not messing with the handling of the bike or geometry really. Also, if the tall seat doesn't get u high enough u can usually add foam (see how much extra material in the seat cover you have first). I have heard of guys using memory foam, or similar. Worst case scenarios you'll just be more comfy :-D

3. Bars Position

at least on my bike, I can move the bars closer to me on the mounts, you may want to move them further out. I think there's close to a inch of adjustment w the stock mounts, aftermarket may have an option kinda like on some sleds to get them further out if you like.

I would suggest getting the "reach"/distance of the bars comfortable first then if more changes are needed worry about bends or risers.

4. Kind of a wildcard - have you considered a larger tank?

This might help (depending in the design of the specific tank) improve the ergonomics of your bike....(this would depend on the exact tank design, but) a lot of the big tanks kind of lift up the front of the seat/give you more tank to squeeze w your knees. Just a thought.
I cannot speak to the GG large tanks though just what I have observed on other bikes.

5. Lower footpegs- I looked at this awhile when considering a smaller bike (crf150r) and I felt kinda like how you feel on your bike - nothin to squeeze w my knees. Other guys have brought up good points on a couple draw backs to this . It depends on the type of riding you do. If you are riding competitively a lot of technical trail stuff maybe an issue. Then again my experience has been the pros usually outweigh the cons when one of the "pros" is that the bike fits YOU better.

6. I would be hesitant to do a shorter link if such a thing is made, my philosophy is more to make the bike for better with changing it's geometry as little as possible esp with respect to moving parts like suspension. FWIW I am smurf sized and have never used a LL on my bike.

Start with what you know you need/will help, first (tall foam and heavier spring) then re evaluate !
Old 07-30-2017, 01:00 PM

Coming back to this ancient thread... I have EC300 / 2009.

I am 6'3" (191 cm) and my knees barely squeeze the seat. I am like King Kong on a cabin.

What if I cut the extra 10 mm (3/8") there is between the lower part of the peg (area where the retracting spring seats) and the peg support, and then put a suitable nut or other spacer above the peg to fill the clearance ? Sure, I lose the spring but what the hell...

I believe - based on multiple internet searches - that there are no lowering pegs and/or Steg Pegz available for the 2009 model?

Where could I purchase a taller seat?
Old 07-31-2017, 05:28 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyx View Post
Coming back to this ancient thread... I have EC300 / 2009.

I am 6'3" (191 cm) and my knees barely squeeze the seat. I am like King Kong on a cabin.

What if I cut the extra 10 mm (3/8") there is between the lower part of the peg (area where the retracting spring seats) and the peg support, and then put a suitable nut or other spacer above the peg to fill the clearance ? Sure, I lose the spring but what the hell...

I believe - based on multiple internet searches - that there are no lowering pegs and/or Steg Pegz available for the 2009 model?

Where could I purchase a taller seat?
Don't the yz pegs also cross over to 09's?
I believe they do which means you could fit fastway pegs in the lower position
Old 08-01-2017, 07:28 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooly View Post
Thanks rosco...im going to cut my stock pegs later..today I move the bars forward..also have riser. ..my problem still is gripping the bike with my legs.. my knees are still above the seat..so im also going to order the tall seat...

I am 6'4" 245lbs I ride a 2000 which is a little smaller frame than the newer bikes.
1)Front and rear springs for my weight and riding style.
2) Forks and shock have been revalved for my weight and riding style.
3) Fastway foot pegs in lowering position. They help more than they hurt in my opinion. I only really notice them hitting in deep ruts.
4) Tall Seat - medium foam
5) Straighter bars with less bend angle back toward the rider.
6) Move the bars forward. When I had the stock GG triple clamps I used a 6"x2"x 1" thick aluminum block bolted in the stock holes and I drilled two new holes 1" further forward. This opened up the rider space considerably. I swapped out the WP43 with KYB SSS forks. I used the later yz upper clamps that have more mounting positions so I no longer needed the aluminum block.