Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:43 PM

Default 2011 Side Stand Spring Failure

Hi All, I had my side stand spring ('11 300EC Six Days) suffer a metal fatigue breakage (used my hand to lower the stand and watched it break)...just curious to know if any one else has had a similar experience? I would have gladly paid an additional $5 for the bike had it come with a decent quality spring!

Old 06-26-2012, 12:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausf View Post
Hi All, I had my side stand spring ('11 300EC Six Days) suffer a metal fatigue breakage (used my hand to lower the stand and watched it break)...just curious to know if any one else has had a similar experience? I would have gladly paid an additional $5 for the bike had it come with a decent quality spring!
Yes, two springs within a matter of two months failed on me. One shot off like a rocket whilst I was standing next to the bike. The other shot off when I lowered the stand after finishing an enduro. Both failed at the point near the frame. Where it contacts it goes thru a rubbing motion on the sharp edge of the small catch everytime you raise and lower it.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:06 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I removed the stand alltogether, a stand failure at the wrong time can send you to the ground.
I try to eliminate what every I think might be a problem prior to a race.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:25 AM
Super Moderator

I'm no racer but I have done 5000kms without any issues on my 2010 (same chasis). Mind you I only put it down when I have to, and I never let it fling up under its own force (unless if it sneaks past me). I usually use my hand and ease it back against its own force.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:24 AM

Not a fan of these self retracting sidestands.....Looks like a bit of engineering is in order to change that on my '12......
Old 06-26-2012, 05:27 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
I'm no racer but I have done 5000kms without any issues on my 2010 (same chasis). Mind you I only put it down when I have to, and I never let it fling up under its own force (unless if it sneaks past me). I usually use my hand and ease it back against its own force.
Fair enough, but stands to reason why MX bikes don't have kick stands.

I ride and race in some pretty tight nasty stuff, I have seen springs sheered off in a tight trail...that's the last place I want a side stand dangling from my bike...nor do I want to mess with it during a race.

Imagine a spring popping off while jumping and the stand swinging down when landing...Ya I think I'll keep mine off.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:50 AM

Need to engineer some sort of strap that can hold it up in place while moving like the ktm has. That way it won't fall down if the spring breaks....

BTW... my stand has been taken off the bike
Old 06-26-2012, 07:26 AM

I'm with moto9, remove the stand, nothing good comes of it. I've done that on all my GGs. The woods are full of stands. For enduro gas stops I put it in the cooler with just the bolt in case all the trees are taken.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyo View Post
Need to engineer some sort of strap that can hold it up in place while moving like the ktm has. That way it won't fall down if the spring breaks....

BTW... my stand has been taken off the bike
The 12 has arubber hold up strap behind the left number plate.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:52 AM

This topic shows a chain link fix for older bikes. No idea if applies to the 2012. Bevel the chain link holes so the spring hook doesn't wear too much.
http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8