Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:52 PM

Default ok guys i need help again.......

Ok heres the deal. ive got my forks on their merry way to be serviced. i have my old shot front tire just sitting in the shop and i get to thinkin. it should really be replaced, and what better time than now? its an S12 that was made in spain, and the outside knobs are breaking off. i think ive got my choices wittled down to two tires. do i go with the 70 dollar Maxxis IS tire? or do i go with the 45 dollar GBC dirt shark. i have a dirt shark rear, and am extremely happy with it, but am i better off going with cheaper, or more expensive?

My next problem. that S12 is a 90/90/21. which to the best of my knowledge does not exist. what size of tire do i need then? the 80/100/21 or the 90/100/21?
this will be my first tire swap, so any help or advice for it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 05-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

If you can get your hands on a Maxxis. Look no further.
07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 05-07-2010, 09:04 PM

I like the Michelin M12XC front. FYI 90/90-21 is the metric equivalent of 80/100-21.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:13 PM

Thanks speed! that alone was a big problem. i got a michy s12, but the knobs started to rip off the sides on rocks and logs. looking for something that i wont have to replace for a long time. i dont go fast enough for traction differences to matter, and the cheaper the better at this point. i know my rear dirt shark has lasted a long time and does well on alot of different terrain, but alot of people (including my girlfriend) swear by the maxxis. thus my indecision. theres no real persuasive argument one way or another besides price, so im inclined to lean towards the dirt shark, and if i need to, i can buy a better tire when i become a better rider.
thanks for the tire size info! that would have had me pulling hair out for a long time if nobody knew what it was.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:16 PM

second thought... if my old inner tube is intact, is it ok to use it again? or should i buy a new one to go with the new tire?
Old 05-08-2010, 05:53 AM

Your old tube should be fine unless it's been patched a few times. I can't even remember the last time I replaced a front tube and I live in ROCKY New England. Clean up the tube and load it up with baby powder before you put it in. If you leave the new tire in the sun they get nice and soft and easy to change although fronts are pretty easy anyway.

Get a GOOD front tire. It's far more important than the rear IMO and if you can't trust the front end of the bike life is not good. I'm not sure what the riding conditions are in MN but talk to local guys (or local riding forums) or Go Fasters and see what people are using and have had good results with. Here in New England (rocks, roots, more rocks, greasy mud) the Bridgestone M59 is really popular and so is the Maxxix SI and the Pirelli Scorpion Pro (which has fragile side knobs) which I love and does look to still be available. Reports here from other members are that the new Dunlop MX 31 is awesome both front and back. Don't skimp on the front tire bottom line.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:51 AM

from what ive heard the dirt shark is as good a front as it is in back. out here its clay. the kind that fill in the treads and turn to a 3 inch deep layer of thick grease. when its dry its just an intermediate loam type soil, with some rocks and tree roots and dead fall from the trees. from what ive read the dirt shark performs on par or just a shade under the maxxis is tires. and their 30 bucks cheaper.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:10 AM

ok just did some digging, and found maxxis maxcross si front tire for 48.99 plus shipping. does that sound as good to anybody else as it does to me? also found a dunlop 952 for about the same. been told those are a good tire that wear well too.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Site Sponsor

the 952 wears great, but its not a great tire. i've had good luck with the pirelli scorpion pro front, and the s12/s12xc. i'm currently running mx31 front and rear which i think are awesome..but i'm assuming you're not planning on changing tires a lot, and you're probably not gonna run 6psi - so i cannot recommend them.. if you want long life, the 952's and the motoz tires last a long long time.... if you want traction and turning that ain't gonna let go, you're probably looking at a soft terrain tire which will not last - it depends on how hard you push the front end, how hard you turn, how far you lean, and how fast ya go....

gbc (dirt shark) makes junk tires in general, and you get what you pay for. to the best of my knowledge, there are no good and cheap tires. tires are crucial, i wouldn't trust a cheap front. nothing like having a bad day because a front (or rear) tire sucks...

i have no experience with maxxis tires -but they're owned by chen shing and they devised maxxis name to convince consumers they were not an asian tire.. (i.e. harley guys wouldn't run chen shing but they'll run maxxis. same mfr, with a non asian sounding name..) or at least that's my take on it. i really do like some chen shing tires for the street...

anyways, in the terrain here (soft/loose dirt, some hardpack, roots,LOTS of rocks, mud, no clay or sand at all) everyone runs s12, mx31, and 756 (if you can find them)...

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 05-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post
gbc (dirt shark) makes junk tires in general, and you get what you pay for. to the best of my knowledge, there are no good and cheap tires. tires are crucial, i wouldn't trust a cheap front. nothing like having a bad day because a front (or rear) tire sucks...
You get what you pay for...how true with everything in life.

Don't skimp out on buying a good front tire. Man it's the only thing keeping you from eating dirt. So what if it's $30 more... having a good quality front tire that sticks around corners, tracks straight etc. will give you more confidence in riding which in turn makes you a better rider.
07 TXT 280
77 TY175