Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 10-18-2015, 01:10 PM

Default 450 FSE 2004 starting issues

Hi all,

I spent time stripping and cleaning the callipers, new seals, pads etc... Changing the bars, tyres and just getting it ready to ride.

As a matter of course I carried out a compression test it was just above 100psi, further investigation revealed it had suffered a dropped valve and they had left the piston in. The barrel looked like it had been sandpapered and the rod had about 2mm vertical movement on the pin (it had worn through the case hardening).

I've spent circa ?800 on new rod, piston, nikasil bore, gaskets, bearings etc.

I have a good spark and after checking the injector - what looks to be a good fan spray. I have now the diagnostic lead and have re-set the tps. The CO trim is see to 0. The sensors all appear to be reading correctly (guzzidiag)

The fuel is new and so is the plug. I have 2 relays on order and my next steps are to check the value clearances again.

Chris.

Last edited by Leeky; 07-30-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:18 PM

So tonight I checked the valve clearances and the exhaust valve, with the decompressor, was now .3mm over size!

I also wanted to check out the starter motor. I could see a rubber bung in the casing where the DRZ positive terminal usually exits and could see where a hole had been drilled in the rear of the casing - after reading a few of the threads off here I recognised the mods to be a DRZ starter with a modified casing. It didn't look in bad condition and just needs a clean up and a set of brushes.

The new relays are also here, I've ordered the V23074A1001A403 in replacement for V23074A1001A402 - I picked up the A403's for just over ?5 delivered from RS where as I struggled to find a supply of the A402's in the UK. They should be suitable as the gasgas doesn't require the middle pin (4).
Old 10-20-2015, 02:15 PM

So now I know why the valve clearance had been increased so much - it hadn't! Turns out if you check the clearances on the back of the cam on the exhaust decompressor cam the decompressor is in the right position to hold the valve open a fraction (as it should during starting) - lesson learnt!

After a recheck the shim is too big by 0.08 so I'll sort a new one out tomorrow.

Next step is to have the injector checked for flow rate and new filter fitted.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:19 PM

Not much progress tonight, I should have the shim tomorrow and the bits for the starter motor.

When I was building up the top end last night to check the clearances I sat the chain back on the sprockets. I was reading through the small amount of literature I have on the engine and I noticed something I'd not seen before. When timing up the crank to cam position there is no marks on the flywheel. This makes things difficult but I set it at TDC and set the cams with 3 on the inlet pointing up and on the exhaust cam 2 pointing up. I counted the pins as 15 which is correct also. Then I realised the arrows were also pointing to specific pin positions I.e the exhaust cam number 2 arrow points at the left pin on a complete link and so does the number 3 arrow on the inlet.

I basically got it a link out - unfortunately I don't know the timing condition before I stripped it other than it was at TDC & I had 15 pins between the vertical cam arrows - chances are I got this wrong last time.

Question is was it wrong when I bought it? I'll never know now but I do know with its dropped valve it had been touched at some point.

So when it goes back together tomorrow I'll make sure it's correct! Injector should be back from cleaning in a few days and then I'll try to fire it up again.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:06 PM

Top end built back up again - re-shimmed and timed (correctly this time!) and starter motor built back up with a Honda brush plate (identical to the gasgas one).

I've sent the injector off also to be cleaned, filter changed and new seals so that should be back early next week.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:56 PM

Did you send the throttle body off as well

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2015, 12:16 PM

Hi, no I cleaned it through myself, took out the air bypass screw and cleaned also and replaced to 3 1/2 turns out from fully in.

Does anyone have a base setting for this?

Back on the engine timing - I'd not come across a 'wasted spark' concept before on a bike. As you time the engine up on TDC, and as the gasser runs a flywheel position trigger, the ignition system has no way of knowing its on the ignition stroke so basically it fires every stroke. Helps to recover any unburnt fuel I suppose on the exhaust stroke.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:20 PM

Here is a link to instructions on how to set up the throttle body. https://app.box.com/s/6y9z2poqq3btigecs99dsfa98k0ln5w1 Just make sure that your base setting is not lower than 351mV. The ecu will not be able to read the throttle position below that. If you need more info just let me know.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2015, 02:19 PM

That's great, thanks for the info. The throttle stop has definitely been touched as the yellow paint is missing from the screw - I'll check the values plus set the air bypass back to 1 1/2 turns out!
Old 10-28-2015, 02:31 PM

Ok so the injector came back today and the flow rate has increased marginally with the clean - they run a before and after - it's increased by about 3% and the spray pattern is now back to as new.

After tank back on and everything coupled up I hit the button - it now fires on no throttle but not enough to coax it into life. After a little more cranking and an open throttle it started up and ran well. Releasing the throttle it sat on a nice steady idle.

I turned it off and after 4/5 attempts on an open throttle it started and ran again well.

I bought it back into the garage as it's still missing it's chain and other bits and bobs and realised I hadn't yet set the air bypass screw to 1 1/2 turns. I hooked up to Guzzidiag and the throttle voltage was 530mV.

Yngvim - do you have the setting range for the throttle - is 530mV too high?

I've reset the TPS but didn't have the time to run the engine again this evening.

Last edited by Leeky; 10-28-2015 at 03:12 PM.