Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:43 PM

Default 2011 EC 300 E- No Power froim Battery

I have a strange electrical problem. The bike was working fine. Now when the key is on and the engine is off there is no power to the lights and Estart. After kickstarting the bike with the engine running, the lights work fine and the light switch illuminates and functions fine(switches from low to high beam etc.)

The battery tested at 12.85 volts, and the lead to the relay in the airbox tested about the same voltage entering the relay. However, the positive lead coming from the relay going straight to the starter motor shows 0 volts(that is with the key on and the e start button pressed). I checked the fuse on the relay and it was ok. I even replaced it with a new one to be sure. I checked and cleaned all the connections on the relay. I checked the starter with another power source and it turns over fine.

Is the relay bad? Has anyone had this problem? How can I test the relay?
Or is this a regulator problem or other problem? Ideas?

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar

Old 03-24-2012, 05:26 PM

Can you use a multimeter to check for continuity at the relay coil? You should get a reading of several ohms. That way you know the coil itself is good. No reading means the coil is "open". The only other relay problem would be if it's armature is stuck open and won't move. Do you get 12 volts at the relay coil when you push the button?

If all your connections are fine, the relay is the only thing that can prevent voltage from reaching the starter.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:54 PM

No, I get no reading at the relay when I push the button.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 03-25-2012, 12:34 PM

Then if you put 12V to the relay coil, the engine should crank. That indicates your button is not feeding power to the relay coil. Thus it would be a bad button, bad connection or broken wire.

Now you have to trace power up to the switch, then out of the switch, and down the wire to the relay coil.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:01 PM

Here is the update. I removed the switch from the handlebar. I found the starter wire that leads to the starter button. This wire was showing power. But with the starter button pressed the exit wire did not show any power. I used a spare wire to bypass the button and the starter immediately cranked without a problem. I tried this several times, so the mechanical part of the button is the problem.

However, as I examined the starter button and connections I couldn't find any problems. The wire connections are clean and in excellent condition. The plastic components are clean and are not cracked or damaged in any way. The starter button depresses smoothly into the housing. I've only had the bike a little over 3 months so this is weird. Does anyone know how to disassembly the button w/o damaging the switch?

Any suggestions?

―Comedian Lewis Black

-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 03-31-2012, 12:19 PM

Since you have the housing apart, I would suggest positioning it so the top housing sits on an angle. Flood the button with contact cleaner and let it drip out the back side away from the other switches. Keep working the button and maybe you can get it functioning again.

You might be able to warm the housing with a hair dryer and push the button out from the inside. The little mushroom spear on the button might be OK to re-use to get it back in place. Worst case you might have to use a soldering gun to melt it over once reassembled.

Don't try to remove the headlight switch knob. It's very fragile and will break just by touching the stops firmly when you use the switch.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Since you've only had it 3 months I'd be discussing said diagnositics method with the dealer and hoping for a warranty replacement.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:03 AM

If you take the starter button out of the circut...aka...disconnect all the wires. You could do resistance checks with and without the button depressed. If you don't get close to zero resistance with the button pressed the button is bad. Big key there is have it disconnected from everything else.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:02 PM

I spoke with the dealer, he thinks the microswitch is bad. It appears that they are going to replace it under warrranty. I'll give another update later.

―Comedian Lewis Black

-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 04-07-2012, 05:17 PM

[QUOTESince you have the housing apart, I would suggest positioning it so the top housing sits on an angle. Flood the button with contact cleaner and let it drip out the back side away from the other switches. Keep working the button and maybe you can get it functioning again.][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip. I cleaned the button and guess what? Its working again! I will try it for a few days then give you an update. I ride in very sandy conditions. I suppose the sand must have fouled the button contact points.

―Comedian Lewis Black

-Unknown Sardaukar