Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:36 AM

Default PV Disassembly Help

I have searched the forums and found a lot of info on people having trouble with re-assembly but could not find too much on disassembly. My 09 EC 250 decided to eat a piston ring the other day and it did quite a bit of damage to the cylinder so it is off to PowersealUSA shortly for repair/replate. I was trying to strip the cylinder as they have an extra charge if you don't.

The GG manual as usual lacks detail and simply says remove bearings with an extractor tool.

Is this tool necessary? It looks like I am at a point where if I could get either of the bearings out everything would come apart. The ignition-side bearing looks like it would be the easiest to remove first. Not sure where to go from here I have removed the two allen bolts on each side and knocked the long pin out, but seem to have hit a roadblock. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 12-08-2012, 10:40 AM

I didn't need a tool, reomve the retainer & retainer screw and grab them solidly and pull with a bit of wiggle. The PV splits in the middle so it comes out both sides Hope this helps
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 12-08-2012, 10:51 AM

Thanks! That actually was very helpful, when I first read it I was skeptical. I pulled on it (didn't take much force) with a pair of needle nose pliers and one half of it came out with the bearing. I guess I expected the bearing to be more a press fit and be difficult to get out...

As I said earlier a piece of my ring fell off and did some damage to the cylinder. I am a bit concerned about pieces that may have fallen in the bottom end. Would you all recommend complete engine disassembly to check or is there some kind of drain plug under the engine that I could use to flush it out several times.

Not sure I want to take any risks with the $200 piston and $250 for replate/repair. Just looking for some opinions.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:53 PM

there is a small drain plug in the bottom of the crankcase under the crank. If the big end bearing feels good and is in spec for side to side play, .8mm-1.2mm I believe, then I'd use an air hose to very thoroughly blow the bottom end out.
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 12-09-2012, 02:25 PM

http://www.gasgasrider.org/html/pv_disassembly.html