Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:19 PM

Default Can't find my power band MC250. is it in there

Hey folks
I just picked up an 05 MC250 and I can't seem to find my power band. Do other motocross 250's come with a powerband? My other bike is a 95 honda CR500, which I just had ported for smoother low end and more top end and went with a bigger better carb that adds HP and smooths low end power delivery. The power band is easy to find

I didn't ride much for a long period of time. I started riding again in 2002 when I was 37. The last time I rode a motocross 250 was in 84 and it was a 82 RM250 and it had a very nice power band. I remember cranking the throttle in 3rd gear and the front wheel came up and stayed up until I reached for fourth and catching fourth before the wheel hit the ground, all while going across this an open field and crossing a ditch in the middle of it while on one wheel.

I just got my MC250 and took it for a spin around my house. I didn't quite realize what a bear that 500 must be for some people-my previous bike had been a YZ490, which was big and heavy, and the CR still feels a little small and easy to turn. The MC was so nimble and easy to ride. I haven't yet broken it in, so I haven't wound it out yet. I revved it up to the midrange area a couple of times and sort of expected the beginning of a pretty strong hit, and nothing happened. I just felt like an average person on a four stroke. It was terrible!

Seriously, were's the hit? Is it because I haven't jetted it yet? I bought the kit, but was told to wait until I ran at least a tank of gas through it to mess with jetting. Someone told me how smooth they were and that worried me a little since I had had a 300xcw shortly and it wouldn't wheelie to cross a stream unless I gave it a bunch of clutch, and I don't believe that's how a bike should run. Maybe I just mean my bike. I gave it some clutch going around my house, and it really took off. I had about 15 min on it then, so I didn't try to wind it out.

I hope this bike will wheelie at will, like I think most two stoke motos do. It helps to cross streams, and do other stuff like have fun. Of coarse it is built for racing, and there are no streams on a MC coarse or guys just riding around riding wheelies or trying to roost there buddies. Man, I just wrote a bunch. Looks like a book. I wonder if I should name it

Anyone know the RPM range on this bike? I think HP is 40, same as the 300

Matt

Old 10-29-2006, 02:55 AM

Hi!

I have the same bike and I love the power band. It hits strong and for long and still is easy to control in slipery woods..!
Old 10-29-2006, 08:28 AM

I also have the same bike and have had no problem finding the powerband.
Sometimes going fast means going smooth & you wont find a smoother powerband. Its a blast riding in the woods for a "mx" bike.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:49 PM

Default I found it!

What a sweeet bike. I took it to an large open pasture to put a little break in time on it and it will fly! It was getting dark and the temp was down and I
felt what I was looking for. It just needs the jet kit installed. Felt at ease on it immediately.

I'm glad I got the MC and not the DE. I like a stiff suspension and why should I have to make a DE motor into an MC motor when I can buy an MC and have the 50mm forks. Installing lights are easy. People always try to tell me a bike will have plenty of power, and they were wrong. Then I got a CR500, and I was happy, and this MC is actually faster(or I'm faster on it in 30 minutes of getting used to it)

I still need to take my CR500 out somewhere and do the final carb tweeking. I just had Eric Gorr port the cylinder, and I put a bigger better carb on it, and was rushing to jet it before my GG got here and it got put aside. CR's only rev out to about 6000 RPM. All their power is midrange with very erratic low end power delivery. Mine should be different now. I checked it out on a short piece of road. It always wheelied through any gear when the power hit, but if you eased off the throttle, the wheel would drop and the bike wouldn't pull the wheel in the center of the powerband. Now, if the wheel starts dropping, just twist a little back on, and bring the wheel where you want it. It pulls strong and smooth right off idle. You can ease it along as slow and smooth as you want with no burps or sudden power changes between carb low end circuits. Just waiting to see if I have any major RPM change. Overrev should be classified as a narcotic. Hard to let go of the throttle when you're in the middle of that rush.

The MC250 is a mechanical work of art and my CR is a monster from hell. Perfect combination of bikes.. I'm definitely stoked with the GG.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:53 PM

Default Im glad you found it.

I SOLD MY CR 500 as soon as I got my 2005 GG EC 250.

The LTR powervalve cover and Jet kit will help a lot.

After a few years on my CR 500 and then switching to this GG 250, I feel that the GG is every bit as fast as the 500, and twice as agile.

I keep my CR 250 for friends to ride, but I dont care to ride it.

You may notice that your Gas gas uses a lot of Gas during break in. I emptied a tank in about 2 hours on my break in ride. Now I hardley use a liter during a 3 hour ride in the sand dunes.

I love my Gas gas, and YOU will too.

RB designs does some nice work on the head too. I think that Mod did a lot for my bike.

LT Racing (from memory)
Powervalve cover
Jet Kit
Clutch MC and Primary sprocket chain guard

Skid Plate
Carbon Fiber Pipe guard

BikeBonz bar clamps
Acerbis hand guards

RB designs Head Squish Mod

Rear Chain guide from GoFasters

Switch for Dual0map ignition

I removed my front number plate and installed a GG Headlight.
I also removed my Rear Brake light

Now I REALLY love my Gas gas
Old 10-31-2006, 03:34 AM

Hi!

Can you comment on how the LTR powervalve cover helps. What does it improve?

(Recovering from a dislocated shoulder.. Now it's the 6th day. At least the bike wasn't damaged at all)

Leon
Old 10-31-2006, 02:16 PM

Lightbulb LTR improvements

First of all, it added some "BLING" to my engines look.

The LTR Jet kit & needle seemed to give me a little extra something way down low in the RPM. I used to have to use the clutch at very low speeds crawling past a barrier near my home. Now I just creep around it.

I added the PV cover after the jet kit. My impression is that it added some umph to the mid and top end of my powerband. The "hit" is probably slightly stronger, but still very managable. I think I gained some top end.

I have read that the PV covers effect is more strongly fealt on the 300 CC Gas gas due to the larger displacement.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:53 PM

Thank you for the answer!

In other post is said to improve the off idle and low rpms. And for you it improved mid and top. Still a bit confusing but I take your word.

Leon
Old 11-02-2006, 08:57 AM

Talking Confusing??

I understand.

The PV Cover and Carb jet mods work nicely as a team. When I did the carb mod, I went for a quick 10 to 15 min. ride and noticed the difference. Then I installed the PV cover. My EC 250s performance has been dramaticaly enhanced by the combo of PV cover and Jets. As individual mods, done independantly, I think the difference would be subtle (not as dramatic).

I think it would be very well worth the $$$$ to get BOTH sets of parts and do BOTH mods at the same time.

Next, I contacted Ron at RB Designs for a head squishband Mod. More than anything my fuel efficiancy has been improved. Additionaly, the bike just seems to pull harder across the RPM spectrum. at $2.97 per gallon, the fuel efficiancy is what matters most to me. My friends use a two to three gallons on a typical ride, and I run the whole weekend on a half tank.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:15 PM

Default Duel map ignition

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFRDave View Post
I SOLD MY CR 500 as soon as I got my 2005 GG EC 250.

The LTR powervalve cover and Jet kit will help a lot.

After a few years on my CR 500 and then switching to this GG 250, I feel that the GG is every bit as fast as the 500, and twice as agile.

I keep my CR 250 for friends to ride, but I dont care to ride it.

You may notice that your Gas gas uses a lot of Gas during break in. I emptied a tank in about 2 hours on my break in ride. Now I hardley use a liter during a 3 hour ride in the sand dunes.

I love my Gas gas, and YOU will too.

RB designs does some nice work on the head too. I think that Mod did a lot for my bike.

LT Racing (from memory)
Powervalve cover
Jet Kit
Clutch MC and Primary sprocket chain guard

Skid Plate
Carbon Fiber Pipe guard

BikeBonz bar clamps
Acerbis hand guards

RB designs Head Squish Mod

Rear Chain guide from GoFasters

Switch for Dual0map ignition

I removed my front number plate and installed a GG Headlight.
I also removed my Rear Brake light

Now I REALLY love my Gas gas
I started to ask a question about your ignition, but you have the enduro model. My riding boot won't fit under the shift lever. Have to wear Timberlands. Did you have a problem like this? I heard of lower foot pegs. Do they make longer shift levers?