Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:46 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default '11 EC200 Jetting Help

Gents -

Finally got around to checking the jetting and here's what it is:

42 pilot
R1470 Needle @#2 (looks like Ktm 125 needle?)
172 main
A/S 1.75 turns out
#7 slide
AS1 carb(screw top type...right?)

Most riding is between 40-50 degrees this time of year
1000-4000 ft elevation

Riding is tight and technical with lots of lugging, some winding it out when climbing hills.

Would like to try and reduce spooge, throttle response is good. Maybe a leaner pilot (40?) or moving a/s out to 2.5?

Looked through all the posts in the jetting thread and didn't see another '11 200...lol.

Thanks!

Old 01-11-2014, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

I'll do some research on the needle sizes when I get a chance (diameter, taper profiles, etc). That should help make some recommendations.

What you need to do is determine where you think the bike could be improved. Does it start and idle well? How is response off idle? Does it hesitate at all like its gasping, or burble a bit and then hit hard, or is it instant? Testing should be done under some load, 3rd gear. 1/4 throttle response, half throttle, and WOT. Same deal.

Easiest way is to take some tape and mark the throttle and housing. Mark a line across both with the throttle shut. Then again wide open (mark on throttle against housing). Fill in the gaps to index the points (1/4, 1/2, 3/4).
Old 01-13-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
What you need to do is determine where you think the bike could be improved.
Thanks for the help Jakobi - appreciate any input you have.

Throttle response on the bike is very good, no lean bogs and no burbles at any point in the range.

The biggest thing I want to do is try to reduce the drool coming from the pipe - which is why I also started the 50:1 to 60:1 thread. Given the responses in that thread, I'm going to stick with 50:1 and focus on jetting changes.

I don't know anything about that needle, but being at the #2 clip is on the lean side. I don't have much experience on the jetting stuff, but did play with it when I had my KTM 300. I also had the Q on that bike and dealt with spooge early on, but it cleared up when I found a good combination of pilot jet and needle (don't spend a ton of time on the main).

My gut tells me to try going to a leaner pilot - like a 40 - and possibly switching the needle to #3. I'd probably try the 40 pilot first and see how that responded, then switch the needle clip to #3 if it felt too lean.

One thing I'm going to try this weekend is turning the a/s out to 2.5 turns and see what effect that has.

I'm good with being a little on the rich side, but want to get ride of that drool.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:04 PM

are the pr?- '11 200 that different for jetting?
there's not that many different carbs used in these bikes during the years,right?
you can allways try going 1 step leaner then what you have, and just see,feel and listen what it does...
but i do think that a needle is allso a good thing to change, it changes the whole way the bike rides.
it's allso rather a personal choice, thee are different kinds of needles that work for your bike, but maybe not for YOU :-)
the needle more or less descides the caracter of the bike.

put some work into research,look for other riders with the same bike, see what they did...

good luck and enjoy your "new" bike soon

Hannes.

btw i allso have drool, just not at all when i ride more on the pipe... oil with a lower flash point would do beter they say here :-)
just hard to know what brand suites your riding style :-p
Old 01-13-2014, 02:01 PM

Hey Brad,

That is a Honda code needle I believe. I have that same needle for my KTM200. They work really well on the KTM 200's and are popular with that crowd.

I would agree on trying a 40 pilot. I have played with jetting for years and one thing I notice is that our bikes run better here in the NW with a pretty lean pilot.

As far as spooge, I have been down the same road and have come to the conclusion that if the bike is running well, then I can live with the spooge. So many factors go into a bike producing spooge: How clean is the PV? How are the piston and ring wear? Has the silencer received fresh packing? Is jetting spot on? Is there a lot of carbon built up in the pipe itself (resonator)? Are you running a quality oil?

Sounds like you're one the right track and amsoil is the best I've run in terms of spooge.

BTW, we still need to hook up for a ride!
Old 01-13-2014, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

One change at a time and evaluate. If the needle is good where it is, I'd focus on the pilot, or possibly the same needle taper with a leaner diameter.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:48 PM

Have you measured your squish??This is what I'm running w/ great results.
6.5 slide=sudco
45 pilot
172main
Nozh needle 2nd clip from top (stock needle)
2012 xc 200 w/ cannon r/c silencer.

Last edited by john r b; 01-13-2014 at 05:49 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-13-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firffighter View Post
I would agree on trying a 40 pilot. I have played with jetting for years and one thing I notice is that our bikes run better here in the NW with a pretty lean pilot.
BTW, we still need to hook up for a ride!
Hey Russ - thanks for the input, it's good to know that you've had positive experience with a leaner pilot I'll hit the local shop and get one if they have it in stock.

And we definitely need to hit the trails together soon!
Old 01-13-2014, 06:17 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john r b View Post
Have you measured your squish??This is what I'm running w/ great results.
6.5 slide=sudco
45 pilot
172main
Nozh needle 2nd clip from top (stock needle)
2012 xc 200 w/ cannon r/c silencer.
John and I are both running the same jetting in our 12 200's. The bike just runs awesome with this set up. I don't know if it will work on the 11. Air box is different, maybe the pipe also. Mine works good from sea level to 2500 ft. Good luck jetting takes alot of test and tune time.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john r b View Post
Have you measured your squish??
I've read about measuring squish when doing a top end, but haven't done anything like this - ever (lol). Is it the thickness of the gasket...and is it something that's relatively easily checked?

My hope is I'll be able to address the spooge issue with minor jetting changes. Since the bike runs well right now, I don't want to mess anything up by "going drastic"

Do you know if the stock needle on the EC200 was also the NOZH? I'm the 2nd owner on this bike - only had what came in the carb when I picked it up. I have no idea what the base jetting was - it's not listed in the manual.