Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 11-10-2017, 08:15 AM

Default 2006 SM 450 fse fuel pump replacement

Hi guys,
Greetings from Dublin.
Was given a 450 SM 2006 a while ago which had been sitting in a shed for @5 years. On inspection the fuel pump was clagged up and inoperable. I sent off for a replacement pump on advice from this site an Airtex E7000. I cleaned the tank, the fuel lines and the injector put a new plug in, changed oil, filters, and she fired up pretty much straight away. Happy days. Sort of.... She floods really easily which I read was the case with this bike. Dont open the throttle at start up, whisper sweet nothings to her and stand on one leg. In the morning she fires up Ok but cuts out sometimes at the first set of lights. Not too much hassle as a few seconds later she fires up again. Here comes the first real problem. At low revs or in low gears she surges, not smooth at all. Its noticeably jerky. It's not noticeable in higher gears and on the open road. No sweat, great fun, great bike and I see why people love supermotos around town.
After sitting at work for the day I get on nervously and 50% of the time she wont start up and floods. I've learned to carry a rake of tools (had thumpers before and something is always falling off) so I then have to take the plug out clean it etc. Invariably in my frustration I drain the tiny battery and have to ask for a jump. Very stressful in rainy Ireland!
It took over an hour outside work yesterday before she fired up.
Question.
Is it possible that the pump is too strong and is feeding too much fuel through the jets? I'm new to injected bikes and have no knowledge of pumps and jets. Is it that that is causing the surging and the quick flooding?
Anyone have any ideas on this or any advice? Not too many GG's around to speak to people mano i mano. Trolling the net some people love the GG and others hate it. I sit firmly in the middle at this stage and dearly want to love it as when she's cruising shes great.
Hanging on in quiet desperation,
Leeman

Old 11-10-2017, 01:45 PM

Default Air fuel spark

Hi guys,
A bit embarrassed after after opening this thread. In my haste to get my GG SM 450 going I'd rigged up a temporary air filter as I didn't have one. It seemed to work Ok. I then totally forgot about the temporary fix (which was rubbish anyway as it turns out) and freaked out about the new pump. After thinking about AIR FUEL SPARK I remembered the fix, took it out and hey presto I've got a new bike. These supermotos are great! Now to get a proper filter. There's a lesson. If you've got a rake of jobs to do, write down what your doing!
Old 01-03-2021, 10:50 AM

Hi leeman

I know it's a long time since you posted this but I have a few questions about the fuel pump. I am building a supermono and do not want to use the Gasgas tank. So could I use the replacement externally or would I have to house it in a small tank. Thanks Terry