Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Of course, the dealer should be figuring it out as it is a new bike. You listening GasGas?
Yeah, not sure that this dealer I purchased from is full bottle on this. He only had 2 GP300s and the pre delivery apparently missed a few things, like fitting the chain and rear sprocket, moving the horn etc.

I've upgraded the main + cable to the start solenoid to an 8GA cable and run a heavier cable again from battery - to the bolt that holds the starter on.

No marks on the CDI indicating it has been flashed, so waiting to hear back from a new dealer who are really across these models (owner rides a GP300 competitively). Problem is to get to them I need a cut lunch, a roadmap, a water bottle and a few hours.

Old 06-29-2018, 04:17 AM

Default Me too...

Hey guys, picked my bike up 2 days ago. I had the dealer fit the upgraded + from battery to relay and the earth cable from battery to engine prior to pickup. They removed the original earth cable all together. They also fitted a brand new lithium ion battery off their shelf rated at 140cca. I got maybe 5 or 6 starts out of this setup before i just got the click. After half hour ride off the kickstart there was enough power to turn the engine over but not fire....

Is anone running a heavier gauge + wire from relay to starter?

Not to mention the headgadsket has a slight weep, it has been suggested to me that i should flush the coolant and switch to a low glycol coolant as the high glycol coolant can bypass the o ring.....

May experiment over the weekend.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:53 AM

Kick it cold like recommended and starting won?t be a problem after that.

Check the coolant hoses. Or get a shop pressure test the system. Glycol won?t effect a viton oring.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keg View Post
Kick it cold like recommended and starting won?t be a problem after that.

Check the coolant hoses. Or get a shop pressure test the system. Glycol won?t effect a viton oring.
Cheers for the reply. Just waiting on my trickle charger to rock up so i can get a full charge back into it. I want to refit the original earth as well as the replacement/additional one supplied by GasGas. I will make sure not to use the starter when cold from now on and see how it goes.
Will go over the hoses again tomorrow. didnt see anything obvious today but will make sure everthing is tight and give her another run.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:00 AM

If you use a trickle charger or a charger with a de-sulfatimg function you'll kill your battery instantly.

However, today I installed a new, much thicker positive wire between battery and starter relay. I already installed a thicker negative wire from battery to frame and between ignition coil and starter bracket.

Nothing changed. Today I borrowed a power package, removed the battery and used the quick start power package, a pro device with which you can start a Tiger tank after its been parked for 40 years. You can imagine how surprised I was that it did exactly the same as with a fully loaded OEM or Shido YTZS7 battery. It hesitated, youst a knock from the starter motor, then the whining sound. Second attempt and it immediately started.

I re-charged the OEM and the Shido batteries with a special LiIon charger and tested again. Engine cold, first attempt just a clattering noise, then the whining sound. Second attempt it turned over immediately. I then made an acid test and started while depressing the kill button.
Both batteries turned the engine over nice and powerful for over 7 seconds before they got a bit slower. The Shido has a bit more power though.

However, I have no clue what is the cause but I know its not the battery. The same problem appeared with the quick start power pack and this unit is a strong beast.

Its not the relay, its not the wires and its not the battery. I am confused. And I am even more confused as it starts much better once the engine is fully warmed up.

I dont think its the well known KTM problem of a too weak starter. It must be something mechanical inside the starter gear, bendix etc. My dealer is also confused and doesnt know the cause...
Old 06-30-2018, 09:21 PM

My bike does exactly what yours does. It will start cold with one kick, yet on the button, the starter will spin the motor but the bike won?t start. I was on a ride with 2 x 300GP?s recently that both started cold @ 7c first stab of the starter. Go figure. Hence, I don?t buy all this ?You gotta warm up a lithium battery..? stuff. My RR started with the same battery every time - I never used the kickstart once in one 12 month period.

It seems obvious that the electrical system (on some ?18 bikes) is sending too much current to the starter & not enough to the spark plug lead. My Skyrich 220cca Li-Ion battery charges at 13.64v @ 3000rpm & holds 13.5v idle.

I never attempt to start mine cold on a ride on the button & the starter mostly works fine (even in gear on hills when the bike is warmed up). But, coming off a Beta I need to readjust my expectations of starters.

I?m trying!

Yes, I still love the bike!!

Ps - just got the head modded by TSP in Melbourne to drop squish from 2.3mm to around 1.5mm - will report when I get out again..
Old 07-01-2018, 12:25 PM

I see you're from down under. Thats cool, half of my famili lives there. If you drill a hole in the floor of your living room and you drill deep enough you'll end up im my living room I am from Austria.

The problem with my bike is, that the starter doesnt crank the engine on the first push of the button. Once it turns it over it starts fine. I do it exactly like you said, first start I use the kicker then when the engine is warmed up it works acceptable. But it annoys me that I am always unsure if it will start when out in the woods. Just doesnt feel good.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-02-2018, 02:49 AM

Was at a Vinduro last weekend and a mate had a 2011 EC300. Showed him pics of my GP300 and mentioned that the starter was largely decorative and he was amazed.

Stone cold, he gave his 2011 a flick and it idled. Choke on. Right in front of me.

Made me sad briefly. I have had Gasgas Australia confirm my CDI is delivered with the revised tune as well.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:51 AM

Got my bike back yesterday. The 140cca battery has been replaced with a 220cca SSB. Starting seems a lot better at this point, i have been for a short ride today and started cold on the kick starter then after 10 min riding i did maybe 5-6 stop starts a few minutes apart on the button. Seems to fire well, not KTM well, still needed a double press a couple of times but much better than before. My bike still only has about 3.5 hours on it so it may improve as it loosens up.

So to recap, I have the upgrade Gasgas + from battery to solenoid and - from battery to engine and now the new battery. Old cables removed.

Will see how it performs over the next week, will be commuting to from work on the bike. Looking good so far.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:28 PM

Was there ever any official gasgas starter fix issued. I followed the thread until is got stopped and i see they were working on it. This is about 8 months later now, plenty of time to gather data and trial fixes ect.

Mine has all of the issues mentioned, spins but wont start, sometimes just click, sometimes wont turn at all like battery is dead. its like the bloody KTM fiasco all over again.