Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:21 PM

Default TBM 200 shoot out

for those stateside TBM is a brit dirtbike mag. I get it at barnes and noble for $10. Seems like a tell it like it is mag. anyway they did a ktm gg 200 shoot out in the march issue. For those that read the shoot out ... do you think that is a pretty fair assement of the 2010 ec 200??

for those that haven't read it, or can't get the mag. the shoot out was a draw. two different bikes with two different ideas of what a 200 should be. ktm motor had more bottom and more mid range hit and was more flickable more racey, gg more stable, motor was smoother but needed to reved more, much better brakes, felt more planted, easier to ride.

The one thing I wonder about is they mention a lack of bottom end on the gasser and that the bike needs more revving and clutch work in the technical stuff. I'm going to assume the bike was run as stock from the factory .. is there a set up, gearing, pipe, powervalve cover. etc etc to get some grunt off the bottom. I ride a lot of technical stuff .... bottom end is a good thing!!!

Old 04-18-2010, 08:38 PM

You can do all of those things to increase bottom end, probably easiest is the bigger pv cover.
Iv also heard of running a 10mm spacer on the exhaust to help boost bottom end as well, but not too sure on the exact specs of this mod
Old 04-18-2010, 08:50 PM

and i think its rbdesigns that does a carb mod that improves the power throughout.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:14 AM

Hi,

I read the test and without having ridden the bikes, guess it was fair.

I like TBM and subscribe to it.

Fixing jetting, compression and PV chamber would definitely make the GG the winner.

I'd guess stock compression is way lower than the KTM. Jetting is probably off.

Check the PSI & get it up with thinner base gasket or by fixing the squish.

That, and a bigger volume PV chamber and you prolly have the best of both worlds.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:07 AM
Site Sponsor

IMHO the 10mm spacer (extension) at the exhaust flange is the key to widening out the power delivery on the GG 200 and can be performed by any custom muffler shop.

Also keeping the hi-lo ignition switch in the low position is a big plus as long as the jetting is spot on.

After that I'd do the RB head and carb mods

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist
Old 04-19-2010, 06:03 AM
Site Sponsor

is the 10mm extension at exhaust flange basically the same as using a large volume pv cover? if it's not, would using both large pv cover and flange extension be counter intuitive or just be too much?

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 04-19-2010, 10:22 AM

TBM are normally very cose to the mark when testing bikes, I bought my gasser off the strength of one of there tests. It will be an "out of the box" bike, which wont allow for any modifications, I think it's fair to say that Ktm make a more race devoted bike.

TBM did a test on the 250f bike which was a little to honest for the head of Gasgasuk's taste