Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalex View Post
Steven, thanks for the 2:41am first-ride report!

Noting you said the rear rebound could have stood to be slowed down a bit, I also wonder how you felt about the as-delivered Low-Speed Comp setting and the lack of an HS adjustment.
. . .

You warned us. Now I'm hooked. Money. Gotta find money......
... that's why it's called AfterHoursCycle.com ...

For the particular area I was riding I would have liked more rebound and if I had my little allen wrench I certainly could have dialed more in - it was set at 23 out, and Ohlins typically are sensitive to one or two click adjustments.

I would imagine most guys never used their HS compression adjustment, and that's why it was dropped. I'll have a better idea whether it needs more or less after the shock breaks in and I've had a chance to ride some roots and rocks.

Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters

Old 03-25-2012, 09:52 PM

I've hit about six hours on the 2012 and have had a chance to get to know the bike a little better. A couple comments on the build more than the ride -

* the new AXP plastic skid plate rocks! Decent coverage, only minimally aggravating to install, quiet (reflected noise), and light (643 g without mounting screws as opposed to 968g for the 2011 SD/Race aluminum plate)

* as Wimpy described the airboot rubs on the joint between the diagonal and mostly horizontal frame spars on the left side. Isolate the contact with some split fuel line or file off the corner of the weld ... do something before your carb is exposed to unfiltered air

* the tiny button-head screws that hold the shrouds on have a bad habit of wandering off. Trying to clamp plastic is a bad idea anyway, but it's tough to maintain enough torque to prevent them from backing out and becoming one with nature.

* the 2012 frame seems wider at the point of contact of the steering stops. I removed the washer and will look at milling down the head of the screw to get more steering angle. A slight mod to my radiator braces may be necessary, and there could be some interference with the small radiator lines on the left.

* I'd really like to meet the man that designed the battery box attachment scheme ... and then say not nice words to him, over and over. Three screws are easy to start and the fourth - not so much. I'm rethinking eliminating the lunchbox/parts bin though because I think it supports the seat base as well as locates the seat tab.

* Three rides in and the filter is really clean. Nice.

* A friend pointed out the break-away feature of the Magura clutch lever today. Clever, and one more reason to think the bike is really trick.

* The more I look at this bike the more I like it. It's got its little quirks, but overall a big step up from the 2011, which was itself a decent refinement from 2010. Hot Spanish girlfriend indeed!

... if you haven't got your deposits in, do it soon!
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 03-26-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I've hit about six hours on the 2012 and have had a chance to get to know the bike a little better. A couple comments on the build more than the ride -

* the tiny button-head screws that hold the shrouds on have a bad habit of wandering off. Trying to clamp plastic is a bad idea anyway, but it's tough to maintain enough torque to prevent them from backing out and becoming one with nature.
A dab of RTV silicone does the trick to keep fasteners for plastic parts in place & other small fasteners for other items.

Been doing it for years- it keeps the screws/bolts in place even in a high vibration environment, seals then from water induced corrosion, yet has enough give to break free easily when they need to be removed. This is especially good when they're screwed into brass fuel tank inserts etc.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3beejay3 View Post
A dab of RTV silicone does the trick to keep fasteners for plastic parts in place & other small fasteners for other items.

Been doing it for years- it keeps the screws/bolts in place even in a high vibration environment, seals then from water induced corrosion, yet has enough give to break free easily when they need to be removed. This is especially good when they're screwed into brass fuel tank inserts etc.
i use a rubber washer backed by a regular washer on all plastics. compressed slightly, they don't back out, and don't trash the plastic..

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com