Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:17 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default Scotts Dampner the best ?

I have had WER dampners on my bike but would like to try a top mount dampner ? I have read some of the reviews and can get a new scotts from my local dealer for $500 seems reasonable . Looking forward to the moonshine run this weekend on my new 2011 200!

Old 09-09-2014, 09:46 PM

I have had both Scotts and GPR. There are just to many adjustments going with the Scotts. So I stick with GPR. Much simpler for my simple mind Both work extremely well. GPR`s are quite a bit cheaper to service than Scotts. I have also heard guys like Motosportz.
2009 450EXC Sold to Rapid Dog EURO Factory Anti-Hop slipper clutch, GPR V4, Akropovic Full Ti Exhaust, 2013 suspension and wheels.
2009 300XC
2005 525 MXC
2000 WR 400
1996 XR 600
1987 CR500
1990 KX500
Old 09-10-2014, 11:40 AM

I've been contemplating a damper too, though haven't decided one way or the other. I'll be interested to read the comments in this thread; I know the guys I ride with and firffighter swear by a damper for the terrain we ride.

One question that's come up recently in my pea brain; would it be better money spent on getting the CF bars from Twisted or Flexx bars rather than a damper? I know we're talking two different things, but the idea of getting some type of flex bars is appealing as I deal with arm pump and fatigue from the vibration and all the rocks/roots we have out here.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Look at the features of the damper.. In my opinion...

1. Should have low and high speed dampening circuits.
  2. Should return to center freely without dampening.

For woods riding I had scott's enduro damper (this is ohlins with scotts logo) - turned down the low speed and kept the high speed dampening in play to help with deflection off roots and rocks....

jeff
Old 09-10-2014, 01:17 PM

I look at the damper as a safety feature which helps with fatigue and stability in rocks and roots.

I look at the flex type bars as a comfort feature. But, I've never run the bars.

Scott's is pretty nice and no complaints from owners that I've ever found. I like my WER too.

I Feel the damper is a must have for any bike.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2day View Post
I've been contemplating a damper too, though haven't decided one way or the other. I'll be interested to read the comments in this thread; I know the guys I ride with and firffighter swear by a damper for the terrain we ride.

One question that's come up recently in my pea brain; would it be better money spent on getting the CF bars from Twisted or Flexx bars rather than a damper? I know we're talking two different things, but the idea of getting some type of flex bars is appealing as I deal with arm pump and fatigue from the vibration and all the rocks/roots we have out here.

A damper and bars are two different things. The bars like Twisted and Flex are for like Firfighter said comfort. Vibration etc. Damper is for helping everything to stay straight when hitting an off camber root, rocks, trees, cars other bikes etc I really dont think the Gas Gas needs to because of the weight and planted feel. Now if yo are talking a all over the place KTM or Husky, then I would say yes.
2009 450EXC Sold to Rapid Dog EURO Factory Anti-Hop slipper clutch, GPR V4, Akropovic Full Ti Exhaust, 2013 suspension and wheels.
2009 300XC
2005 525 MXC
2000 WR 400
1996 XR 600
1987 CR500
1990 KX500
Old 09-10-2014, 07:31 PM

I have had a few WER units n they work good and are very simple for sure . I just got my new use 2011 200 six days and really like the look of the headlight . The WER unit needs for you to cut the headlight , that is not happening I like the look of my bike . My 05 200 has the WER on it and it works great . Drew Smith owns WER and has always done my suspension work , he knows how to make it work so my old body doesn't work so hard ! So I think the Scotts is what I will go with since my local shop sells them . I will put up a report in a week or 2 as how it compares to the WER unit.