Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:56 PM

Default for my tool box

I'm doing my bottom end on a ec300 .What pullers for seals and bearings are best for the job?{ Please for a guy that the late 70's and all the 1980's were a little to good,if you know what I mean} paint a good description. Thanks

Old 01-19-2008, 10:46 PM

Once the cases are split the seals all come out easily. Don't use pullers or a press on the bearings in the case. The machinist down the street and I learned this the hard way last fall. He pulled on one of the shift drum bearings with a puller untill the case cracked from around it. At cost I think the new cases I had him buy me were well over $700! The proper way to remove the bearings is to slowly heat the cases and then slap them on a counter or work bench. It is shocking how easily they move around once the cases are properly heated. The GG manual calls for a hot plate I bake mine on an old cookie sheet in the oven for an hour or so at 250 F. Search the internet for two stroke rebuild tips and by all means download the GG manual it has lots of good stuff.

Paul B
Old 01-20-2008, 09:40 AM

Like Paul suggests, but be ready with the new bearings to drop in the hot cases. Freeze them, dry ice works better than the freezer and is fairly easy to get.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:20 PM

Steve was poking around the GG usa site and thought of you, http://www.gasgas.com/manuals/ec_shopmanual_06.pdf

Lots of good stuff. Before you remove your main bearings by heating the cases take carefull note, or a dig pic of all bearings in cases. Could come in handy if bearings other than the mains come out, and they likely will. Like Glen said frezzing the bearings works nice to fit therm in heated cases. They will literally drop right in. I have always put them in the freezer, dry ice would be even better; colder with no residual h2o.

Paul B
Old 01-22-2008, 09:19 PM

I have access to liquid nitrogen (LN2), you should see how good that works! Both LN2 and dry ice will freeze moisture from the air into the bearing, so its important to rewarm the finnished case assembly to drive it off, and lube when cooled. Use heat,cold, and finese rather than force and you will be in good shape.