Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:33 PM

Default How do you get parts for it?

I was at the parts counter of the local Kawasaki dealer the other day trying to get a mudflap for the GG. I get to talking with the guy behind the counter about my bike. He says " Yah those are cool bikes but I would never own a bike you couldn't get parts for" I responded that their are a couple sources for GG parts that can have anything you need to your door in a couple days, one is even open on mondays now. He gives me a disbelieving look and searches his computer for my mudflap. He tells me that the mudflap for a 98 kx should fit a kx from 92-present, he also says they sell a fair amount of them, "seems like most bikes need a new one every year". I am thinking sweet I wont have to use a piece rubber strapped to what is left of my old flap after all. He then tells me it will take a week to ten days get one in!

My question is how do guys ride a bike like a KX, How do they get parts for it?

Paul B

I just ordered some obscure stuff from Gofasters today. An hour later I got an email, digital invoice attached, that my stufff had shipped.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:41 AM

Exactly, plus they usually want you to pay in full up front with no discount. I hate the local Jap bike dealers, most are more interested in selling Harley knock offs and associated bling, and only seem to have the dirt bikes as part of the contract. If I had a Jap bike I'd mail order from one of the big online dealers anyway.

GoFasters has been really good lately. Same here, I ordered some assorted stuff while at work, and when I got home and checked my email it had been shipped already.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:10 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Same conclusion here. I have stuff from GoFasters quicker than if I had to go get it from the local Honda dealer.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff View Post
Same conclusion here. I have stuff from GoFasters quicker than if I had to go get it from the local Honda dealer.
yep, same o same o here....
Old 02-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Banned

Big mainstream dealers have whored themselves out to get a piece of the so called lifestyle marked. Last time I was in a big motorcycle boutique I wanted to puke then punch out the retard parts kid who I happen know only got hired because the a-hole of a boss thought that the kids with pierced nipples and waist of his pants at knee level would allow his hip customers to identify with him. Later on that bro's. I love buying my gasgas stuff from all over. I get to talk to all kinds of interesting people who also happen to be real bike riders and enthusiast's not from some place were the staff have about as much personality as a half used bar of soap!

Last edited by widebear; 02-12-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:21 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quid pro quo here....... I'm not saying this to bash other brands of bikes, just noting how I do business.

A few years ago a local Honda dealer was after me to ride their bike, so I bit. I took the plunge and rode an XR 250 thinking it was my ticket to the ISDE. (the 250 FS class had just been created, there was no modern 250F yet, it was the year 2000) I was reasonably satisfied with how things were going until after a race, I had noticed my clutch going away (poor thing was abused too bad) and I slid into the shop and asked for new clutch plates. The counter dude told me it'd be a week to 10 days.....!!!!!!! I said, huh? You've got to be kidding. You are sponsoring me to RACE your bike, and you don't have regular wear items in STOCK for it?! It continued that way for the entire season. Luckily, it didn't create huge problems for me, but I didn't re-sign with them, and the following year I used mail order with great success. Then I bought another Gas Gas, and have not worried at all about parts. In fact, parts are really such an after thought since I've been relying on our excellent suppliers that I don't ever even think about it anymore. Never have I needed something and had it not available immediately. At least by overnight mail if necessary.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 02-12-2008, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

My first (and last) experience was trying to buy some cross-over parts for my old 2001 GasGas XC250. I went to the local Honda dealer and said I wanted some brake pads for a 2001 Honda CR250. He walks over to his computer and asks me "what are the part numbers that you want". I'm a bit stunned and repeated slowly "brake pads for a 2001 Honda CR250." However, I get the same dumb answer from the kid. It turns out that I have to memorize the Honda parts fiche because his computer only allows him to enter "part numbers". Stupid!!! Anyways, I told him nevermind and left the store.

After wasting my time and gas driving there, I went back home and called up Smackover Motorsports (great shop by the way... too bad it's not around anymore). Gabe was quick to answer, very polite, etc.., and had my parts shipped out the same day. The best part... when my Moose brake pads arrived, they had a nice sticker on them showing the cross-over bikes with 2001 Honda CR250 cleary marked. I love GasGas dealers!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 12:34 PM

There is good jap dealers around. Basically, I find any dealership that has owners who race usually has a good parts supply.

That said, most GasGas dealers put jap dealers to shame on knowledgability.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:56 PM

Our local GG dealer (Town & Country) also sells Kawasaki, and he is a very good dealer. Dirt bike oriented but also carries a few road bikes. Typically opposite of what you find. I think you have to sell at least one major brand to survive nowadays.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

One of the problems with model redesigns every year is that it makes it REALLY hard for dealers to stock parts. If you are a dealer, are you going to pay interest on every KX250F part ever made for each year it was made? Nope. Neither do dealers. By using warehouses, you trade off convenience for price. By having parts in a warehouse where dealers have "equal" access, you need many fewer parts to service more (potential) customers.

Now, many times, the problem is with the dealer who waits until they have $5000 in parts orders before they order from the warehouse. It generally takes 2 days for Honda to ship a part from a warehouse to a dealer. You might wait a week for a dealer to place the order.

Online alternatives exist, like bike bandit, etc. you can order OEM parts directly, and get them sooner. Sometimes.

GoFasters is very good. One of the problems we might see in the near future is that GoFasters is going to distribute parts in the US. I've been waiting for 8 weeks for a piston and a starter pinion because of problems with receiving parts from Spain. Depending on how long it takes to get the supply chain straightened out, it might take a bit longer to get the GG parts should GoFasters not have something in stock.

Oh, i am NOT complaining about the piston and starter pinion. I know they are on the way. It's only 9 degrees F today, and i won't be riding for a while. I just wanted to let people know that it may not be instantaneous as it has been until their inventory is replenished.

One really attractive thing to me about GG is that they don't redesign every year. They do it right the first time, and we all benefit. I won't buy a new street bike because of the parts issue. Do you think that in 10 years you'll be able to get a secondary throttle motor for your GSXR-600 when it dies? Nope. But i'll still be able to get parts for my 1971 bmw r60. The lack of yearly redesigns is one of the things that attracted me to GG. It's a great benefit for riders who don't upgrade every year.