Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:47 PM

Default terrorist Cause DAKAR!! to cancell

as reported in Dirt Rider,after all have arrived to start and the millions spent in promoting and cost getting there they cancel the day before I think it was to start?
got this from a link
Dakar '08 Cancelled
John just heard it on the BBC on his way to work this morning. Such a shame as that's one of the ultimate racing venues but understandable with all the problems.

Carol

Here's the latest from Autosport:

Dakar Rally organisers have said the future of the event is not in danger following the official cancellation of this year's edition.

The organisers were forced to call the event off this year amid safety fears in Mauritania, where the rally would have spent eight days.

The French government on Thursday warned against holding stages in Mauritania after three attackers, who authorities suspect are linked to Al Qaeda, killed four French tourists.

Organisers ASO said they had also received direct threats by terrorist organisations, which left them with no choice but to cancel the rally despite causing "huge frustration" to the participants.

They said, however, that the future of the event was not at risk.

"Based on the current international political tension and the murder of four French tourists last 28th of December linked to a branch of Al-Qaeda in Islamic Maghreb, but also and mainly the direct threats launched directly against the race by terrorist organisations, no other decision but the cancellation of the sporting event could be taken by A.S.O.," said the organisers in a statement.

"A.S.O.'s first responsibility is to guarantee the safety of all: that of the populations in the countries visited, of the amateur and professional competitors, of the technical assistance personnel, of the journalists, partners and rally collaborators. A.S.O. therefore reaffirms that the choice of security is not, has never been and will never be a subject of compromise at the heart of the Dakar rally.

"A.S.O. condemns the terrorist menace that annihilates a year of hard work, engagement and passion for all the participants and the different actors of the world's biggest off-road rally.

"Aware of the huge frustration, especially in Portugal, Morocco, Mauritania and Senegal, and beyond the general disappointment and the huge economical consequences in terms of direct and indirect repercussions for the countries visited, A.S.O. will continue to defend the major values of great sporting events and will carry on its engagement for a durable development through the Actions Dakar, started 5 years ago in sub-Saharan Africa with SOS Sahel International.

"The Dakar is a symbol and nothing can destroy symbols. The cancellation of the 2008 edition does not endanger the future of the Dakar. To offer, for 2009 a new adventure to all the off-road rally passionate is a challenge that A.S.O. will take on in the months to come, faithful to its engagement and its passion for sports."

Old 02-26-2008, 10:22 PM

News must travel slow to folks in Tennessee. Would have never guessed it by the looks of your avatar. Seriously it does suck they called off the race.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:54 PM

What? They shoot your postman or something

'06 Raga Rep

(hopefully '08 EC200 & '10 TXT Pro 250 soon)
Old 02-27-2008, 06:02 AM

Question I didnt know,,,

Just read it in the new Dirt Rider yesterday,, ,and PEB is the one on the right in my avatar!
Old 02-27-2008, 11:11 AM

As the old guy at work says when he gets burned, "Oh yea, well same to you" Speaking of hillbillies I recently had an oral implant done replacing one of my front teeth. For years I could take the "flipper" out that held my tem porary tooth in. I miss being able to switch from normal white guy to white trash in an instant. I saved alot of money at junkyards over the years by being able to assimilate.

Paul B
Old 02-27-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEB View Post
I miss being able to switch from normal white guy to white trash in an instant. I saved alot of money at junkyards over the years by being able to assimilate.

Paul B
LMAO!!!
So True!!!

btw thump ... this was news about Jan 1 of this year!!! You need to spend more time on the internet!!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:03 PM

Did they cancel the 2009 race also.....Just kidding man
Old 02-28-2008, 02:55 PM

While we're on the subject of Dirt Riders incredible speed at getting crucial info to us, how many of you still buy traditional or paper mags? I stopped, must be. 10 years ago now. I only occasionally pick up a mag, usually VMX or classic dirt bike.

'06 Raga Rep

(hopefully '08 EC200 & '10 TXT Pro 250 soon)
Old 02-28-2008, 08:08 PM

Thumbs down

Takes me an hour standing at the magazine rack at Wall Mart to find an article hidden amongst all the ads in Dirt Rider. This month the editorial wasn't about motorcycles it was about advertising. Makes me wanna puke. - Ken
Old 02-29-2008, 05:56 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFastTim View Post
While we're on the subject of Dirt Riders incredible speed at getting crucial info to us, how many of you still buy traditional or paper mags? I stopped, must be. 10 years ago now. I only occasionally pick up a mag, usually VMX or classic dirt bike.
Don't ya read CycleNews ? Thats the only rag I can't live without !