Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:04 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Default stripped hex head

I stripped one of the hex head pinch bolts. What do you guys think is better to get it out?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0P?vName=Tools

or

or

or something else.

Steve

Old 05-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Site Sponsor

I'm assuming you stripped one of the triple clamp pinch bolts. If you did you are going to have trouble with your 1st and 3rd "link" choices as you won't be able to get around the bolt head as its recessed.

Your 2nd choice has the right idea but only works as good as the torque provided by the cordless drill you’re using.

The extractor that I’ve had the best luck with is the one that uses a 'left handed" (reverse cut) drill bit and a matching tapered extractor tap you place into the hole you drill into the center of the bolt in question.

One thing to try, if the bolt you’re talking about is a triple clamp bolt, is to make sure you tighten the bolts along side the one that is frozen as this takes some of the pressure off of the bolt you are trying to remove.

No matter where your bolt is located make sure you use penetrating oil prior to using any extractor to possibly help loosen the stubborn bolt.

Please note that the problem with using any extractor is that you normally get only one chance to make it work before the process damages the bolt head to the point that making a second attempt usually doesn't work.

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist

Last edited by Berkyboy; 05-27-2008 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:07 PM

You get 2 attempts on the pinch bolts. First, try what Berkyboy has recommended. If that doesn't work, remove the other pinch bolts then use a hack saw blade to CAREFULLY cut the stripped bolt in the triple clamp slot. Once this is done, try again with a tapered extractor. Be very careful not to damage the threads.

By the way, does anyone make an aftermarket lower triple clamp for the Gassers?
Old 05-27-2008, 04:35 PM

I had this very problem on my 04 when I was taking the suspension off to send to Les.

I used a big torx bit and a heck of a lot of penetrating oil but I got it out. I hammered the bit into the head of the bolt and then removed it.

Remember when you put them back in to use anti seize on the upper and lower triple clamp bolts.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:13 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
I had this very problem on my 04 when I was taking the suspension off to send to Les.

I used a big torx bit and a heck of a lot of penetrating oil but I got it out. I hammered the bit into the head of the bolt and then removed it.

Remember when you put them back in to use anti seize on the upper and lower triple clamp bolts.
Yep, this way works on most. I have used this method on many striped out allen heads. I would definitely try this before you cut or drill anything. You will have to hammer the crap out of it to make new torx groves in the allen head. Once tight they usually break loose.

Good luck,

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 05-27-2008, 07:06 PM

OK, I've never tried this but could you use JB Weld to first glue a hex and/or torx bit into the head? I would think the glue would fill the voids in the head.

And if there are surfaces you don't want the glue to bond to, you can carefully "paint" it with liquid candle wax; the glue won't stick to wax.

Dale
Old 05-27-2008, 10:08 PM

Two more things to note:

1. Drip ATF on the threads. ATF is a great solvent (they add solvents to keep the many, tiny hydraulic valves from sticking), and will work wonders to loosen corroded bolts.

2. Heat the triple clamp in the area of the stuck bolt a bit. NOT super hot, but heat it up. The AL will expand more than the steel, and it will help break this loose.

3. I like the idea of the TORX socket. Pound it in, and use an air gun to zip it out. The air gun is less likely to break the socket than is a big push with a longer breaker bar.

4. If that fails, you can just drill it out. being a socket head, you have the center located for you. once you get the wall thin, you'll be able to spin what is left of the bolt out.

good luck.

blitz
Old 05-28-2008, 06:56 AM

Thanks!

My buddy has a kit that may help. If it works I'll let you know.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkyboy View Post

One thing to try, if the bolt you’re talking about is a triple clamp bolt, is to make sure you tighten the bolts along side the one that is frozen as this takes some of the pressure off of the bolt you are trying to remove.
This is key. When ever removing the pinch bolts, only loosen them a small amount at first. If one feels like it is binding then I tighten the one next to it and then loosen it. I also use anti-seize on re-assembly.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:45 AM

I got it out!

I'll post a pic later of the tool I used but right now I need to do "real" work.