Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 11-08-2008, 05:52 PM

Default BMW 450 Ride

Today we were out marking trail for our upcoming enduro. A guy in our club just bought the new BMW 450. We traded bikes for about 10 miles or so and I was highly impressed with the new Beemer. The power delivery was by far the smoothest of any 4 stroke I have ever ridden. The ergos of the bike fit me well. If I saw a root in the trail I just twisted the gas and up she would go. It also has a factory cooling fan. The funny thing was that it never really boiled over like most 4 strokes. The bike also felt very light. It is going to be quite interesting to see how Knighter & Juha fair on them in 09.

Overall I will rate it a 7 out of 10. It has the zoke forks but no black coating on the tubes.

A few draw backs or concerns.

1. No frame to protect the engine. If rocks were around where we ride I would be highly concerened about busting the bottom half of the engine.

2. The seat is all one piece. There is no way to get a taller seat. Hopefully a company will come in and make one.

3. The way the rear shock is mounted gives it a very weird rear end feeling.

4. The factory muffler is huge!

Old 11-08-2008, 07:20 PM

Robby, did it feel big? I think a lot of the 450s feel big in the tight trail from the huge torque off the bottom. Bro's Husky was like that. I saw the Beemer proto at the show in NYC last year, and that lack of case protection looks scary in the rocks. Also, I wonder if parts prices are typical BMW. FWIW, I heard a lot of good things about the new '09 Husaberg as well. I'm absolutely positive I can go faster on my EC250, or a 250F if were talking 4-strokes.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

........and I though you were out marking trail for the Caney Creek enduro.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Ya, my buddy bought one too.
The available skid from BMW is very pricey, he is planing to fab his own. The aftermarket exhaust (akrapovic) is also not for the penny pincher.

The seat idea is pretty smart. No foam or seat cover and still quite comfortable, Should never absorb water and break down
Not sure I like the gas fill in the seat. Fast pit stops with spills...can you say itchin and burning.

Suspension takes quite a bit to break in, once broke in its far too soft for your average 450 pilot on a GP course.

The rear license plate holder and rear brake light set up is gawd awful.

The rear swing arm pivot and counter shaft sprocket mated together making for constant chain tension is a innovative approach and seems to keep the chain slap noise down to nothing.

Looking forward to watch how these bikes hold up.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 11-09-2008, 05:19 AM

Glen it did not feel big like other 4 strokes I have ridden. Once you get up to speed it is quite flickable. I was impressed to say the least. The guy that owned it said he felt like he was faster on my gasser because of the way the suspension handles. I told him once he get's it broke in to let Girard or myself know and we would hook him up with Les.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
........and I though you were out marking trail for the Caney Creek enduro.
We were! We did your section and it was very dry and dusty.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

The bike is quite compact for a 450.
The rear fender appears to be long but its just an allusion, it does not stick out any further than say a Gas Gas.

The Beamer guys even get a small electrical connector included with their bike. That I was told is all there is to their power up kit. Plug in and play, it completes a circuit loop I guess. No sniping the grey wire or getting a different carb stop. EFI is nice! Sure exhaust will probably help, but air box mods should not be needed with its Ram air style positioning.

Seems like a pretty good dual sport. I think my biggest problem is also no engine frame rails for protection, just seems scary.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 11-09-2008, 07:39 PM

Boom,
You guys did a great job on the enduro. This was my first there, had and good time.
J
Old 11-09-2008, 07:56 PM

Which enduro are you talking about? This is the upcoming Caney Creek enduro on the 23rd of November here in Houston.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:18 PM

Oops, I thought you guys were talking about the Redriver enduro at Bulcher, TX. They had a BMW demo going on.
J