Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:23 AM

Default 300 or 250?

Can anyone give me some clarity please? I now own a 2002 XC 300 Gasser and I love it, BUT, I have all that horsepower at my disposal and that little voice in my head tells me to not to really open it up for fear of doing myself and the bike harm. I had a 200 EC which was also a very nice bike but, I had to be way more aggro on the loud handle which I have been told made me a better rider than I am now. That all being said, I am a rather large man and I don't think a 200 would be enough for all conditions I ride in. Should I consider an EC 250? A middle of the road choice? Now that there is snow on the ground and I can't really ride, I have time to think about these things. Any suggestions? Also, how does one turn that voice in the head off? Riding more?

Old 11-30-2008, 01:03 PM

I have the EC250 and love the bike, it's closer to what I grew up riding (mx 2 stroke 250's) When I got it I thought it was the easiest bike I had ever rode in the woods. Then I tried a 300.

The 300 is easier to ride slow, it makes enough torque off the bottom end and you don't have to keep it on the pipe all the time. Get out in the clear and put it up on the pipe and it'll rip.

If you like to ride hard get the 250, if your slowing down a little and want to make your bike do more of the work get the 300.

Always a top end or two for sale on here so you could switch yours out. I'm looking at picking up a 300 top end for my 250.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:05 PM

I've always liked the 250 better than the 300, it has the same peak power but a bit less off the bottom that makes it eaiser to deal with when its slick and/or your tired. I think you will find all the newer GGs smoother, the '00 to '02 XCs with the FMF Gnarly pipes were the hardest hitting bikes.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:44 PM

I find it much easy to take away power than ad to it. Things you can try:

1. lower compression EC head
2. higher gearing
3. different needle jet (CCK)

2005 GasGas EC300 (Ohlins front and rear)
2007 Yamaha FZ1
2003 Pampera 280(hers)