Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 11-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Default 1st ride 2008 ec300

Just picked up a 2008 ec300 off a forum member. Low hour bike tweaked with LTR tuned suspension and RB head and carb mods. This is my first Gas Gas.

I am 39 years old. Got my first mototbike when I was eight. Don't get out as much as I want due to work and family so I am not nearly as "bike fit" as I once was. I certaintly am more conservative that I once was as well. I also ride a 2007 Husaberg Fe550e.

Where: Vancouver Island "Burnt Bridge" area. Really ugly day weatherwise. Tons of rain. Cleared up somewhat. It was good in the trees. Typical west coast: steep, skinny, rutty, slippery, rocky, rooted trails. Great area, has something for everyone.

First impression:
The bike is wild. Very good low end. Killer midrange. Short and compact package. Notice the weight difference quite a bit (approx 20lbs lighter than the berg). Easy to hold on to and not let fall over because of it being shorter and lighter. Handles extremely well. Terrific suspension! Smoky on startup but cleaned up considerably when warm. Starts easy - one kick. Totally different riding style. Promotes standing. Sitting down provokes wheelies!! Must have a shorter wheelbase than the berg. Hand grips under the seat are pretty useless, only can get three fingers in. Notice the vibration in the footpegs when doing road work. The throw in the gear shift seems a bit long. Several times I missed the rear brake/shifter as boot hit skid plate. Hit a tree. Now have a busted rad shroud...

I feel faster on the berg. Much faster on the road sections. The 300 is alot of engine. A 250 may be a better choice around here. I really liked the way it felt light and I did not feel the need to summon super human effort in order to save it from falling over. Brakes are decent. Can't say enough about the suspension. I like the simplicity of two strokes. I like the smell of premix but it can get a bit much at times. I know there will be times I will miss the e-start but I really didn't mind the kickstart - it brought me back to my roots.

I had a real fun day and the bike is a blast. Can't wait to ride again.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting your ride.

Regarding the seat/airbox cutouts... I would not lift the bike by the seat cutout areas. The seat is held by a single bolt and the seat base can flex easily if you grab by this cutout area. IMO this cutout functions more as an air intake for the airbox. When lifting the bike, it is better to grab under the rear fender where it joins the subframe (near the silencer). There is a comfortable grab point here and you can swing the bike up on a workstand easily.

EDIT:
Here is a pic showing the lift locations.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:21 AM

Default Thanks

Great information - thanks for the tip!
Old 11-10-2009, 11:31 PM

Welcome to the Forum , this place will boggle your mind with usefull info on the Gassers

Out on the Trails on Vancouver Island , BC

Steve
Old 11-12-2009, 04:46 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

congrats on your new gg !
you'll fall in more in love as time rolls on.
i too have a husaberg [02 fe650e] and a gasgas [06 ec 300]
they are very different and want to be ridden differently.
for me, any issues are rider related mostly and not the bikes.
i find that i can go places and thru stuff with the gg with ease
that the berg would be plowing thru.
the 550 is a nice motor but there is something about the two stroke
that allows it to glide over the terrain where as the 4 stroke digs into the terrain.
try a pirelli trials tire on the rear [its the cheapest, can be run flat, and has the thickest sidewall] and you will be able to tool up anything.
are you a memeber at the uhe [husaberg.org] site? great site for bergs.
best of luck
gasgasdreamer
2014 Beta Evo Factory 300
Old 11-13-2009, 10:31 AM

Default Grab strap

MattR - I do not have the black moldings under the rear fender - are they stock? In its current state, gripping and lifting from the rear fender is not overly comfortable as the edges bite into my hand. I just ordered a rear grab strap from www.thetugger.com - looks like it will solve my problem.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:34 AM

Default Will send you a PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflica View Post
Welcome to the Forum , this place will boggle your mind with usefull info on the Gassers
Yes, lets go for a ride - hopefully I will be able to keep up!
Old 11-13-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGasDreamer View Post
congrats on your new gg !
you'll fall in more in love as time rolls on.
i too have a husaberg [02 fe650e] and a gasgas [06 ec 300]
they are very different and want to be ridden differently.
for me, any issues are rider related mostly and not the bikes.
i find that i can go places and thru stuff with the gg with ease
that the berg would be plowing thru.
the 550 is a nice motor but there is something about the two stroke
that allows it to glide over the terrain where as the 4 stroke digs into the terrain.
try a pirelli trials tire on the rear [its the cheapest, can be run flat, and has the thickest sidewall] and you will be able to tool up anything.
are you a memeber at the uhe [husaberg.org] site? great site for bergs.
best of luck
gasgasdreamer
Hey, you are like a brother! I always wanted to ride a 650 - I hear they are an absolute blast!

I have ridden the bike several times this week including my first trip ever to an area called Tansky Main. Wow, what a place. The bike was incredible here, definately in its element. I told the berg something it has been suspecting all week - that I am falling for another bike. I popped my head into the garage this morning and the berg is still weeping from its water pump. Taking it pretty hard.

Yes, I am a member of uhe but do not post much. Taffy is hilarious when I can figure out what he is saying. DaleEO has been very helpful.

Trials tire: does it make sense to run one all year long or just the summer? I have some S-12's on my berg and I really like them.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgstandard View Post
MattR - I do not have the black moldings under the rear fender - are they stock? In its current state, gripping and lifting from the rear fender is not overly comfortable as the edges bite into my hand. I just ordered a rear grab strap from www.thetugger.com - looks like it will solve my problem.
That black molded under fender support piece comes with the OEM LED tail light assy/tiny useless license plate bracket. It does add some nice support and stiffness back there and better hand hold. If you want it call Go Fasters because it's not shown in the exploded diagrams.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgstandard View Post
Trials tire: does it make sense to run one all year long or just the summer? I have some S-12's on my berg and I really like them.
Depends on the terrain. I love a trials tire even in wet weather but change back to a knobby when the leaves fall (no traction at all in deep dry leaves). If you ride where there aren't any steep hills that are covered with leaves or dry sand or silt the trials tires will work year round. I like the Chen Shin 755 for technical hill climbs (it's very soft and the closest knobby I've found to a trials tire)