Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:42 PM

Default 2018 gasgas

Is this the best 2stroke money can buy? I currently have a 2017 250xc that is really good except I don?t like the AER fork. Would going to the gasgas be a step down in any way? The only thing that worries me is that the gasgas has a dated frame and swing arm.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Yes!
So sorry.
No!
The '18 bike is 90% new.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
Yes!
So sorry.
No!
The '18 bike is 90% new.
Have you ridden a 2017+ KTM to compare? What are the differences?
Old 08-10-2018, 02:18 PM

I did the KTM Demo in Phoenix back in January.

I rode all of the non-SX 2-strokes, including the TPI 250XCW, and the 250/350 XCF. It was on a short, test loop that when ran multiple times per KTM Staff instruction, was about six miles. I liked them, well enough. My review is on my AZRickD YouTube channel.

Fast-forward several months and I have sold my 2011 GG EC250 and at long last have gotten a few short miles on a GG XC300 with a goodly amount of hours so everything is broken in and all factory updates (battery cable, ECU reflash) have been done.

A short review on the 2018 Gasser ? it is a XC300 BUT? with an EC pipe (supposedly to broaden the mid and calm the top). It?s still a beast.

Motor: Every bit a match for the KTM 300, with the usual commentary about the famous GG powerband. Nice off the bottom and maybe a little shy on top (that muted EC pipe, again).

Mind you, this was on a carby and motor running at a Phoenix 113F and likely jetted a little rich (the way I like, truth be told). When I rode the KTMs it was a Phoenix wintertime 60F.

The GG started first kick (and first button) warm or cold (as long as there was fuel in the carb circuits). No choke used. It didn?t smoke much when cold, and not at all when warm. There was zero spooge ? anywhere. Not on the end cap, and certainly none dribbling along the bottom of the silencer.

And all this power, starting, and nonspooge prowess is on a stock squish band (likely 2mm) that would normally make me rush, rush to get the head cut. I don?t think I?ll be in such a hurry now.

Vibration: I literally can?t recall if there was much on the Gasser. I remember all about the vibration of the counter-balanced KTM because with all the hype I was specifically looking for it. The Gasser motor seemed to be balanced very nicely. Throttle response was good, motor revved smoothly.

Gear box: Ratios were fine for me. I geared down all my 250s. I probably won’t gear down a 300. The clutch was light. The foot selector and action was as good as KTM. No false neutrals and neutral easy to find when needed.

Suspension: All bikes are set to stock positions and I had no opportunity to adjust them. I didn?t get much of a test during the KTM demo and not much on the GG, even tho I purposely pointed the 300XC at every rock and cross-rut I could find.

I thought the Air forks on the KTM XC/XCF bikes were ?race firm.? Compliant for the faster A/B guys, and very controlled for their design purpose. But I would revalve then softer for me. The KTM XPlor boingers on the XCW 2-Ts (there were no EXCFs at the demo), were pretty darn close from a plushness standpoint. I could see not needing to re-valve them for rocky single track, but I could be wrong.

The Kayabas on the 2018 XC300 were somewhere in between. Their action over the limited rough seemed not as firm as the WP AER forks but just as controlled. You could tell that both the WP and KYB engineers put in a lot of work on these forks. I didn?t get a chance to test any bikes on G-outs, unfortunately. The KYBs might be candidates for a slight softer revalve for technical trail riding, but for racing I would be tempted to leave them stock.

Shock? I didn?t notice them. A good thing.

Springs? I was geared out at 205, and my front/rear sag eyeball and seat of the pants feel suggest I could get away with leaving the springs. And since I plan on dropping back down to 170 after breaking my ribs 10 months ago, that?s what I would likely do.

Handling. Not very much turning done on the GG. The KTMs handled light, and rolled in light. But once in the turn I didn?t feel comfy with what the front tire wanted to do. As a result, I exited corners a little slower.

The GG rolled in a tad slower (maybe the gyro of a larger fly wheel weight?), but once in the turn, especially bumpy turns, the GG felt better in this segment.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
I did the KTM Demo in Phoenix back in January.

I rode all of the non-SX 2-strokes, including the TPI 250XCW, and the 250/350 XCF. It was on a short, test loop that when ran multiple times per KTM Staff instruction, was about six miles. I liked them, well enough. My review is on my AZRickD YouTube channel.

Fast-forward several months and I have sold my 2011 GG EC250 and at long last have gotten a few short miles on a GG XC300 with a goodly amount of hours so everything is broken in and all factory updates (battery cable, ECU reflash) have been done.

A short review on the 2018 Gasser ? it is a XC300 BUT? with an EC pipe (supposedly to broaden the mid and calm the top). It?s still a beast.

Motor: Every bit a match for the KTM 300, with the usual commentary about the famous GG powerband. Nice off the bottom and maybe a little shy on top (that muted EC pipe, again).

Mind you, this was on a carby and motor running at a Phoenix 113F and likely jetted a little rich (the way I like, truth be told). When I rode the KTMs it was a Phoenix wintertime 60F.

The GG started first kick (and first button) warm or cold (as long as there was fuel in the carb circuits). No choke used. It didn?t smoke much when cold, and not at all when warm. There was zero spooge ? anywhere. Not on the end cap, and certainly none dribbling along the bottom of the silencer.

And all this power, starting, and nonspooge prowess is on a stock squish band (likely 2mm) that would normally make me rush, rush to get the head cut. I don?t think I?ll be in such a hurry now.

Vibration: I literally can?t recall if there was much on the Gasser. I remember all about the vibration of the counter-balanced KTM because with all the hype I was specifically looking for it. The Gasser motor seemed to be balanced very nicely. Throttle response was good, motor revved smoothly.

Gear box: Ratios were fine for me. I geared down all my 250s. I probably won?t gear down a 300. The clutch was light. The foot selector and action was as good as KTM. No false neutrals and neutral easy to find when needed.

Suspension: All bikes are set to stock positions and I had no opportunity to adjust them. I didn?t get much of a test during the KTM demo and not much on the GG, even tho I purposely pointed the 300XC at every rock and cross-rut I could find.

I thought the Air forks on the KTM XC/XCF bikes were ?race firm.? Compliant for the faster A/B guys, and very controlled for their design purpose. But I would revalve then softer for me. The KTM XPlor boingers on the XCW 2-Ts (there were no EXCFs at the demo), were pretty darn close from a plushness standpoint. I could see not needing to re-valve them for rocky single track, but I could be wrong.

The Kayabas on the 2018 XC300 were somewhere in between. Their action over the limited rough seemed not as firm as the WP AER forks but just as controlled. You could tell that both the WP and KYB engineers put in a lot of work on these forks. I didn?t get a chance to test any bikes on G-outs, unfortunately. The KYBs might be candidates for a slight softer revalve for technical trail riding, but for racing I would be tempted to leave them stock.

Shock? I didn?t notice them. A good thing.

Springs? I was geared out at 205, and my front/rear sag eyeball and seat of the pants feel suggest I could get away with leaving the springs. And since I plan on dropping back down to 170 after breaking my ribs 10 months ago, that?s what I would likely do.

Handling. Not very much turning done on the GG. The KTMs handled light, and rolled in light. But once in the turn I didn?t feel comfy with what the front tire wanted to do. As a result, I exited corners a little slower.

The GG rolled in a tad slower (maybe the gyro of a larger fly wheel weight?), but once in the turn, especially bumpy turns, the GG felt better in this segment.
Thanks for the detailed response. It sounds like the suspension is a lot closer then I would have suspected. I ride at an A level pace in the tight single track. Nothing to technical but mostly 2nd and 3rd gear. It seems like I might not be gaining a whole lot going to the Gasgas. I figured the KYB would be worth it alone to make the switch.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:18 PM

Well, you asked:

1) Is this the best 2stroke money can buy?

I would argue, yes, overall. And it costs less, generally.

2) I don?t like the AER fork. Would going to the gasgas be a step down in any way?

No. It is a step up in plushness, if that?s what you want. Firm enough for all but the zoomiest racers.

3) The only thing that worries me is that the gasgas has a dated frame and swing arm.

Both are now ?modern? examples of frame and swing arm.

I sold my GG so I could buy any bike out there. I strongly considered KTM, Sherco, Beta, and Yamaha.

The 2018 Gas Gas now tops my list.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
Well, you asked:

1) Is this the best 2stroke money can buy?

I would argue, yes, overall. And it costs less, generally.

2) I don?t like the AER fork. Would going to the gasgas be a step down in any way?

No. It is a step up in plushness, if that?s what you want. Firm enough for all but the zoomiest racers.

3) The only thing that worries me is that the gasgas has a dated frame and swing arm.

Both are now ?modern? examples of frame and swing arm.

I sold my GG so I could buy any bike out there. I strongly considered KTM, Sherco, Beta, and Yamaha.

The 2018 Gas Gas now tops my list.
The frame and swing arm are a 2016 KTM copy so I?ve heard. Old tech
Old 08-10-2018, 03:44 PM

If that is going to sway your purchase decision, so be it. The manufacturer says it’s not a KTM copy.

But having ridden both makes, I can tell you that the ?old tech? GG frame turns better than the KTM in most regards. The front end behaved predictably, and the rear wheel follows the front as it should.

I didn?t notice the swing arm in either bike, so it is a wash.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:30 PM

There’s no denying that the frame and swingarm come from WP. That’s where the similarities stop. Of course they look similar but the frame geometry is different. The GasGas feels much like a Honda. It’s tall, bars are higher, and it’s longer. It goes through rough choppy trail like a bullet, and it loves to turn if you get up on the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2018, 08:52 PM

I've ridden both a 2018 KTM 300 XCW and I own a 2018 GG XC300, having ridden multiple KTM's over the years, I had no interest in owning one as the GasGas is the superior handling bike. KTM's to me feel like they have a stink bug feel to the front end and are fairly twitchy. The GasGas feels more balanced front to rear, but still incredibly nimble.