Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:08 AM

Default Clutch mas. cyl.

While getting my Gassers ready to ride Friday night, I found the clutch master cylinder reservior dry on the 2000 EC300, yet the clutch was working. I really have neglected the bike as it is rarely ridden, even though I still love the engine on the old bike the best. Anyway, I pulled the master cylinder apart and cleaned out the fluid passages with brake cleaner and dental tools. After putting things back together, I used a syringe to back bleed the clutch. The problem is that I could never get pressure to build by pumping the clutch. I found that if I removed the circlip that keeps the plunger from being pushed out of the mas.cyl. bore, and pulled it out about 1 mm further and pushed it back it, I had pressure and a working clutch. If I tried to bleed it normally, I lost pressure and had no clutch again.

My next test is to place a shim behind the spring that forces the plunger back to the ready position an see if it works normally. This may be the reason for the slightly dragging clutch. I tried all the other fixes and oils and still have a clutch that drags on my Y2K Gasser. The '05 works perfect.

If that doesn't work, I may replace the master cylinder.

2005 GasGas EC300 (Ohlins front and rear)
2007 Yamaha FZ1
2003 Pampera 280(hers)

Old 07-14-2008, 03:35 PM

When i just did the same thing i had the same problem. I had to get a more powerful brake bleeder from the parts store (Autozone has free rental) and that finally sucked enough fluid through it that it started working.
99 GG 250 Pampera
00 GG EC250
03 KTM 125SX
05 GG EC200
98 GG TX 270
85 Honda XR350