Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:51 PM

Default tight nut

Isplit the cases ,changing crank bearings.My question is ifanyone has a trick to breaking that inner 30mm nut ,not the one on the c/basket,the one on the crank itself.My air gun at 130 psi won,t buch it.Keep in mind this is the first time in this motor.EC300 06 HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

When things are stuck, I usually heat them up. If you don't have a torch, you could always stick the engine in the oven at 300 degrees for about an hour. That gets all the parts warmed up to 300. I used an infrared thermometer on my engine when I put it together, using the oven method to install my crank bearings (NEVER BEAT ON THEM). It took about an hour to get the engine to 300 degrees. Make sure you use welding gloves, because three hundred degrees will peel your skin off!

A note on torches, you'll never get it off with a little propane torch, you need an Oxy Acetylene torch to really heat that bugger up.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 01-16-2008, 09:24 PM

That crank pinion nut is a REVERSE THREAD. A 1/2" drive pneumatic at 130 PSI should do it. I hope you didn't over torque it to bad going in the wrong direction.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:46 PM

Meaning left-handed tread,like for instance,threading on a fly-wheel puller or hooking up a propane?I don't think I over did it I'm a bit nervous about the mechanical ground I'm on now.For info sake what would over tourqing do?Before I touched it,I asked someone and they said nothing about left-handed threads.I'll ask you guys first from now on!Can you put the shift forks anywhere on the drum putting them back in?Just tell me when I'm being a pain in the a$$! Thanks a ton.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:04 PM

Yes, its a left hand thread. If you over tightened it by wrapping away with a big pneumatic, you could damage threads like overtightening any bolt.

If you mean any gear position, shift the drum to neutral and start assembly there. Hold the shift fork guides and shift the trans through the gears before closing it up.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:00 AM

My guess and it is a guess is that you won't have damaged a 30mm nut or thread with your air gun unless it is some big industrial thing designed for trucks. Try it the right way and it will most likely come off. You may need to let it hammer for a few seconds but provided you have a decent socket, it will be ok.

In my experience home use air wrench guns don't provide that much torque on the bigger nuts.