Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 08-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Headlight lightbulb

I would like to replace the stock headlight light bulb (35W) on a 06 DE300 with a EC stator to somthing larger like a 55W or 70W bulb that will fit right in place of the stocker. Maby a halogen.Does anyone know of any that will fit in the stock headlight shell? Maybe a PIAA? Or any suggestions on boosting headlight power of the Ec coil without a rewind. Tight budget. I would like to get the most out of my Ec's stator!

Old 08-04-2006, 08:09 AM

Hi!,
And welcome to our little club here!

The stock bulb is a two filament 35 Watt halogen bulb and the DE models typically come with the low beam wired for operation and the high beam is not connected. The quickest way to get a brighter headlight is to switch the lead from the low beam to the high beam filament on the headlight.

Alternatively, You can replace the Single pole switch (the one on the headlight shell) with a dual pole switch and then then add a wire to allow you to use the high beam.

The new switch will be a 3 position switch - low beam, off and high beam. See the technical docs on this website for wiring diagrams and instructions on how wire up a high/low beam switch for your existing headlight. Matt has contributed a very nicely written article on how to do this.

Do not try to run both the high and low beam simulaneously or a high wattage halogen bulb. The plastic lens will not accomodate the extra heat generated and will melt.

jeff
Old 08-04-2006, 09:30 AM

Thanks jeffd, but My bike is already wired to the high beam pole,as my bike did not come outfitted with a headlight it just came with a number plate. I requested a complete Ec light kit and opted for the larger stator when I ordered my bike from Juan late last year and installed it after I got it home. I knew wiring to the high beam was possible as my 04 was a true ec with a blinker switch, horn, Low and high beam,and brake light that worked weather or not you are only using just the front brake. I Just figured what good is the extra wattage if I'm not using it. Why not improve it if possible. I run 2 Hid battery pack helmet lights already so I don't need the power for those.I wondered if more wattage would melt the plastic lens. Maybe some one makes a glass lens and bulb that will still fit in the stock Gas Gas numberplate light shell, as I like the look of the stocker! You always know what kind of bike it is from a distance when heading toward you with Its distinctive look. Any Ideas? I think I'll surf around on the Baja Designs web site.Thanks again for your quick response. Later, Roscoe
Old 08-04-2006, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVERUP
Thanks jeffd, but My bike is already wired to the high beam pole,as my bike did not come outfitted with a headlight it just came with a number plate. I requested a complete Ec light kit and opted for the larger stator when I ordered my bike from Juan late last year and installed it after I got it home. I knew wiring to the high beam was possible as my 04 was a true ec with a blinker switch, horn, Low and high beam,and brake light that worked weather or not you are only using just the front brake. I Just figured what good is the extra wattage if I'm not using it. Why not improve it if possible. I run 2 Hid battery pack helmet lights already so I don't need the power for those.I wondered if more wattage would melt the plastic lens. Maybe some one makes a glass lens and bulb that will still fit in the stock Gas Gas numberplate light shell, as I like the look of the stocker! You always know what kind of bike it is from a distance when heading toward you with Its distinctive look. Any Ideas? I think I'll surf around on the Baja Designs web site.Thanks again for your quick response. Later, Roscoe
You can go with a 45 watt halogen bulb without issue in the stock plastic lens. I wouldn't go with a 55 watt though...

Forgot to mention that going with an LED style rear tail-light will give more power to the front headlight - BTW, LED style taillight is stock on 2007 models.

On my honda XR you can buy a glass lens & 55W halogen bulb to replace the stock plastic lens - but this lens might be a little small and too "rectangular" to fit right... I'll check it out and get back to you.

The baja designs glass lens can be found at the link below - they sell a halogen bulb for it that is 60W. It doesn't look like it would fit in the the stock headlight shell, but might be worth a try.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/item...temCode=600002

jeff
Old 08-15-2006, 11:53 AM

Thumbs down

If you wire the Hi and Low so they are on together, the plastic socket melts and deforms before the lens. Ask me how I know.

What may be interesting is to modify the shell to eliminate the stock lens/bulb/reflector and install a single small 55W driving lamp on a custom bracket. No lens/socket problems then, just wire it properly. There is much more to effective bright lights than wattage, its in the reflector and lens design. On my Harley, the stock headlight is crap. Even with a top of the line H4 PIAA lamp its like a candle. I have a set of driving lights that do way more. Next is a new headlight with an HID, maybe duals.

I wouldn't expect the GG headlight assy to be any better. If you run HIDs now on your helmet, the headlight must seem insignificant.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffd View Post

On my honda XR you can buy a glass lens & 55W halogen bulb to replace the stock plastic lens - but this lens might be a little small and too "rectangular" to fit right... I'll check it out and get back to you.

jeff
I bought one and it actually doesn’t fit to bad its not perfect but with some thought I was able to fabricate a sturdy mounting system. I made some brackets and did not need to alter the headlight shell at all. No new holes or anything so if I want I can always put the stock light lens back in the shell. I did have to add some black plastic to fill in the void on the edge of the lens as the stocker lens is curved and the XR lens is rectangular. I will submit some photos in my photo album soon.

Roscoe
Old 10-05-2006, 06:31 PM

Pics are now up in my mods album if anyone is curious.This greatly improves the light output of the stocker and still keeps the distinctive Gas Gas look.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:08 PM

what bulb do i need h4 or h7 im clueless we have the phillips bulbs at my work.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:48 PM

I am pretty sure the bulb is an H4 55W it comes with the XR Glass lens when you purchase it from Baja Designs. I would not put that bulb in the stock plastic lens. Cause it will get hot enough to melt plastic.