Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:24 PM

Default Super Dumb Question about replacing Brake Pads

Thanks to go fasters I now have a new set of brake pads. My only problem I can't get the cylinder to release enough to get these bad boys in. Any tips without having to resort to a sawzall or an air bubble in the system? Like I said this is the first set i've ever replaced so I won't need to ask next time.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:35 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Maybe your brake reservoir is full of brake fluid? If there is no air left in there, then you will reach a hydraulic lock when trying to push back the brake pistons. Try opening your reservoir and take out some fluid.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:51 PM

Ok I will check the fluid level. What is that little nipple bleeder zerk looking thingy. Can that be used for releasing some pressure? There is a little plastic/rubber cover over it.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

You do need to apply some force to reset the pistons. Put your old pads back in and pry them apart with a large screwdriver. Just opening your reservoir is enough to avoid hydraulic stop. Beware of brake fluid spill when prying those pistons. The bleeder is for air bleeding. Dont open unless you are bleeding your brakes. The nipple is good for brake fluid replacement too.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:39 PM

Make sure you clean up any break fluid that spills or it can damage plastic. What year bike is it you may want to change the break fluid at this time as well? Just a thought
Old 09-26-2007, 02:02 PM

Thumbs up

it is allways better to open the bleeder valve and push the pistons in. this way any bad fluid or debris that is in the line or caliper does not get pushed back through the master cyl. and when you replace the fluid you are not flushing as much so it dont take as long.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:42 PM

Oh man I finally got it. I had to take the system off and back bleed it according to instructions given to me by jeff. There were bubbles trapped in there that just wouldn't come out until I I got everything running uphill. I ended up pumping 3 bottles of brake fluid through it until I got it air bubble free. I'm putting it all back together now.

Thanks for the help.