Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 03:15 PM

Default Clutch squeel Pics

Well I have not been very successfull posting the pics but if you go to the thread Berkyboy attached one of the baskets (the one got I posted) looks like the picture of the second basket on the far right, the one referred to as the foursrtoke basket. The other basket looks just like the new style two stroke basket just underneath (second picture) the two baskets that are side by side in his thread. So could it be that I have a four stroke basket in a two stroke bike

2008 250 xc KTM
2007 200 xc KTM
To many KTM's to list
1983 175 IT Yamaha
1995 200 KDX Kawasaki

Old 01-01-2011, 03:17 PM

Default Clutch squeel

Hey guys if someone would like to post the pics send me an email at onegreyghost@gmail.com
2008 250 xc KTM
2007 200 xc KTM
To many KTM's to list
1983 175 IT Yamaha
1995 200 KDX Kawasaki
Old 01-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Nice post Berkyboy...Thanks!
I ride a lot of tech stuff, lots of clutch abusing and if I can get more oil to feed the plates and quiet it down some without risking basket damage then I'm probably going to do some type of mod...but we'll see.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Site Sponsor

Both the 2-stroke basket and the 4-stroke basket start out the same and it is possible that you got one were the webbbing wasn't machined out for the 2-stroke application as your photo indicates it is the older style.

Both could be in any GasGas bigger than a 125 used other than the "primary ring gear sprocket" itself, which is specific for the 200, the 250/300 and the 4-stroke and is rivited to the basket. Again those are the only differences other than the removal of some of the webbing.

Please note that the 200 clutch basket has a couple more teeth on the larger ring gear itself than the 250 and 300 and will not work properly. Yes the 200 basket will fit in the 250 and 300 but it is a very tight fit and it will eventually take out a bearing as well as produce a bunch of metal filings or both. A dead give away is the "whirring" sound you hear when the motor is running and the clutch is released as the mesh between the two gears is too tight.

Over the last couple of years we have only seen the two style of baskets in 2-stroke 250s and 300s. But to be honest we haven't been paying real close attention to the 200s and 4-stokes because there have not been many sold here in the US.

The part numbers (up until 2010) show that the basic design originated in 2004 for the 250 and 300 and has been unchanged in the 200 since 1999, so we can't even specify which basket we get when we order them from the factory as the numbers used haven't changed. What I mean by this is when we order new clutch baskets we get the one they send us with no designation for the newer style basket or the older one.

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist
Old 01-01-2011, 10:49 PM

Default Clutch squeel

Ok let me make sure I am following you correctly, Steve, any of the 250 or 300 could have either the old style or new style baskets in them when they arrive here in the U.S.

Another question for you Steve, If i get one of these billet S3 baskets will I have to rivet the primary gear to the back of the new basket? Do you think the S3 basket will come with the primary gear already attached?

I really don't want to drill or grind on the current basket and it disintigrate and damage the engine or void the warranty.
2008 250 xc KTM
2007 200 xc KTM
To many KTM's to list
1983 175 IT Yamaha
1995 200 KDX Kawasaki
Old 01-02-2011, 03:52 PM

Default Clutch squeel

Ok I have the basket out of the bike now. How do I remove the ring gear from the aluminum clutch basket and then attach it back to the new billet S3 basket?

Has anyone attempeted this?
2008 250 xc KTM
2007 200 xc KTM
To many KTM's to list
1983 175 IT Yamaha
1995 200 KDX Kawasaki
Old 01-02-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreyghost View Post
Ok I have the basket out of the bike now. How do I remove the ring gear from the aluminum clutch basket and then attach it back to the new billet S3 basket?

Has anyone attempeted this?
Typically you drill out the old rivets and use uber Loctite when bolting the gear to the new basket. If you dig around the web I think you'll find video tech features on the procedure if you want to brush up on the technique before your new basket arrives.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 01-02-2011, 09:41 PM

ive had this problem on my first nambo engine and on the second but dont really consider it a problem. my buddies ride my bike and dont here it because they ride differently. my buddies 2010 six days has never made the sound and then i road it and made the bike squeal. thats just the way i ride and i use amsoil(also tried moterex and motul didnt rectify the sound) i just think its a style of riding that brings this out. i would bet if i rode someone elses the bike would squeal as well. i havnt noticed any signs of wear or drop in performance yet so i dont think its something to be to worried about!
Old 01-02-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkyboy View Post
Both the 2-stroke basket and the 4-stroke basket start out the same and it is possible that you got one were the webbbing wasn't machined out for the 2-stroke application as your photo indicates it is the older style.

Both could be in any GasGas bigger than a 125 used other than the "primary ring gear sprocket" itself, which is specific for the 200, the 250/300 and the 4-stroke and is rivited to the basket. Again those are the only differences other than the removal of some of the webbing.

Please note that the 200 clutch basket has a couple more teeth on the larger ring gear itself than the 250 and 300 and will not work properly. Yes the 200 basket will fit in the 250 and 300 but it is a very tight fit and it will eventually take out a bearing as well as produce a bunch of metal filings or both. A dead give away is the "whirring" sound you hear when the motor is running and the clutch is released as the mesh between the two gears is too tight.

Over the last couple of years we have only seen the two style of baskets in 2-stroke 250s and 300s. But to be honest we haven't been paying real close attention to the 200s and 4-stokes because there have not been many sold here in the US.

The part numbers (up until 2010) show that the basic design originated in 2004 for the 250 and 300 and has been unchanged in the 200 since 1999, so we can't even specify which basket we get when we order them from the factory as the numbers used haven't changed. What I mean by this is when we order new clutch baskets we get the one they send us with no designation for the newer style basket or the older one.
Hey Berkyboy,
Got a question for you...If I were to do some type of modification to
the basket or replace it with one from Barnett do you think that would cure the problem.
I guess what I want to know is.... the clutch mods performed on the race bikes, did that solve the squawking problem form them.
Can the squawking be cured?
I'd hate to spend money on a new basket or tons of time modifying the stocker only to find out it's a way deeper issue
TKS
Old 01-02-2011, 11:52 PM

I thing GG should get on this issue as well, it's not helping sales any when others hear that noise during a ride.
I road with a group today, one of the guys was a x-pro, he did the "last man standing" one year.
He also owns a motorcycle shop...so we were riding some tough single track and my clutch was squawking quite a bit and he, asked me what was the awful sound coming from my scoot.
I tried to explain away that basically that's what they do..but it's not been an issue other than annoying.
It seemed to strike fear into the other riders as a serious issue...and to place a lot of doubt in their minds as to GG's reliability and toughness as a motorcycle.
It's hard to sell the bike when out of 12 bikes mine was squawking like a one legged chicken.
Just throwing that out there.
Closed Thread