GasGas Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   GasGas Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-08-2009, 11:42 AM
nhrider's Avatar
nhrider nhrider is offline
Silver Level Site Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Concord, NH
Posts: 496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidad View Post
Ok Steve that's looking pretty darn ugly now to my untrained eye. MUCH different than the original x-ray you showed me in the hospital (top left pic) which looked really good at the time. IMHO that need surgery. When is the next x-ray going to be taken?
Tell me about it!

The next X-ray is Nov 5th and I think that is crazy!

I called my PCP and I'm looking for a referral. They are getting back to me.

Here's the real kick. There was a radiology report with the X-ray it says " Unexpected Finding: Left mid clavicular fracture now displaced and angulated significantly."

What does that tell you? Tells me it should not be like this...


__________________
2005 YZ 250F
Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 10-08-2009, 12:14 PM
GMP's Avatar
GMP GMP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jefferson Twp., NJ
Posts: 7,597
Default

You have to remember something, to a lot of these docs, the old school non-surgical approach is acceptable, even for severe cases (like mine) because thats the way they were taught, its not their shoulder, and they are not riders . There are reports of studies in medical journals now that conclude plating is the prefered treatment for displaced fractures. Plating clavicles is relatively new, and the Ti clavicle specific hardware is very new(they started with stainless steel pelvic repair plates that had to be bent to shape), so unless the doc is on top of his continuing education and experience, you get old school. A lot of these guys have no business marketing "Sports Medicine" because all they do is discourage you from risky activities and make no extra effort to get you back in the game the way you were. The bread and butter of these guys seems to be in replacing trashed hips and knees in old people, common, accepted procedures insurance pays for, and the patients are almost certainly to be happy with compared to what they had.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-08-2009, 03:20 PM
flybars flybars is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cashmere,Washington
Posts: 643
Default

Boy Steve, that looks painful! What are the Doc's waiting around for? From what GMP stated, Ti plating makes sense to me. I wish U a full recovery man. Sorry U have to go thru all of this.
__________________
'14 Beta 300rr
'05 GG DE300
'03 GG EC250
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-08-2009, 03:50 PM
nhrider's Avatar
nhrider nhrider is offline
Silver Level Site Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Concord, NH
Posts: 496
Default

I got my answer from Dr. Mark. He said to come down and visit him next week.

Now to find out if I can get ready...
__________________
2005 YZ 250F
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-18-2009, 03:37 PM
nhrider's Avatar
nhrider nhrider is offline
Silver Level Site Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Concord, NH
Posts: 496
Default

Well, I'm still working on getting to Texas. My PCP wants me to see a specialist and let them refer me to TX. I guess it has better weight if it is done like that. Got me. I do have full motion of my shoulder. OT is a little shocked I can move it that much. Same here.

I got a nice bill from the Woodsville ambulance service. Over 500 bucks! I tried to submitting it but that was a no go. I guess I would rather pay for this then the Helicopter ride. I wonder if I can deduct the riding equipment they cut off me...
__________________
2005 YZ 250F
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-19-2009, 12:01 PM
GMP's Avatar
GMP GMP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jefferson Twp., NJ
Posts: 7,597
Default

That sucks Steve. Referals are a PIA. I never had a doc that was eager to give a referal, I'm glad my insurance does not require them. Good luck. Yeah, ambulance rides can be pricey. My little adventure in PA when I got impaled cost me a lot more than that for a ride to the hospital. The thought of paying for a chopper ride motivated me to ride most of the way out.

Some real expensive bills are for low level flights of diving accident victims requiring re-compression treatment.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-19-2009, 07:03 PM
nhrider's Avatar
nhrider nhrider is offline
Silver Level Site Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Concord, NH
Posts: 496
Default

I would have road out if I was with it.

I found out that the coding was wrong on the paper that was sent to the insurance. Now I need to get the ambulance service to re-send the correct code. Insurance said they would cover it but I think I still have a deductible of $500. I also found out what the bill for the helicopter "ride" was. Try $13,800! Thank God for insurance!

My wife just told me the hospital bill was over $32K WOW!

32K+14K+500=$46,500 And that doesn't cover the OT and my PCP visits which is around $120 and growing. All for a still screwed up collarbone...this sucks!
__________________
2005 YZ 250F

Last edited by nhrider; 10-20-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-19-2009, 09:22 PM
Skidad's Avatar
Skidad Skidad is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Littleton Massachusetts
Posts: 1,202
Default

Somewhere someone is making some serious money. It's like play money or Monopoly money. Crazy!!
__________________
07 EC 300
97 KTM 250 EXC
08 Cannondale Prophet 1
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-20-2009, 11:05 AM
nhrider's Avatar
nhrider nhrider is offline
Silver Level Site Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Concord, NH
Posts: 496
Default

Is not happy...I'll post later. Is it to early to start drinking?
__________________
2005 YZ 250F
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-20-2009, 11:25 AM
nhrider's Avatar
nhrider nhrider is offline
Silver Level Site Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Concord, NH
Posts: 496
Default

So where to begin… I saw the “specialist” and he said that because of the amount of time that has past, he would not do surgery. The X-ray’s he says show that the bones are starting to come together and that’s why he would not to do it. He said I had an 80% chance of everything coming out all right. Umm...what about the other 20%? He said surgery would require a bone graft and that takes longer to heal. I then asked him what he would do if it was his kid. He said nothing…now. I pushed the issue and he said he would like to see me in 4-6 weeks. Great…the run around begins again. Time wasting away…



__________________
2005 YZ 250F
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Broken Radius noobi Injury & Recovery 23 08-28-2010 03:11 PM
Broken Clavical GMP Injury & Recovery 68 06-17-2009 08:09 AM
broken clutch?? Simon_R Enduro Engine - 2 stroke 2 07-23-2007 06:50 AM
Broken Link Dingo Enduro Engine - 2 stroke 3 07-07-2007 08:15 PM
Anyone else ever broken an air screw? lukachuki Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke 16 03-12-2007 08:43 AM




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2009 - GasGasRider.org