Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 12-06-2017, 11:22 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default 2003 FSE parts in 2017?

Hi guys!
I have a chance to buy a FSE 450 really cheap. I still have my 02 EC300 but I kinda need a dualsport bike that's tagged. It has a new (uninstalled) fuel pump with it and is pretty intact. It's only 700.00 so I'm thinking about getting it. I know some of the quirks it has as I rode the first one ever in the US back when they first came out. It was brand new and I rode a 85mile dual sport event without a hitch...but that was a long time ago. Looking for thoughts from other FSE 450 owners.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! What an incredible ride!"

Old 12-06-2017, 04:14 PM

This may help http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...ghlight=taiwan
Old 12-06-2017, 07:18 PM

I had a 2003 450 and it was a fun bike with big gobs of power when it ran. Not so much when it did not. Very expensive bike to own. personally I would move on to something more stable and reliable. I parted mine out so no one else would have to suffer the misery of owning it while helping some other 450 owners salvage another ride.

I will note that I bought one of those white/grey Yamaha YZ 450's a few years later thinking I could some how bring back that 450 feeling with gobs of power and great handling. I was never so disappointed in a motorcycle as with that Yamaha. If GasGas would have had their metallurgy in order when they released the 400/450 back in 02 it would have been a hit. It was a really great but unreliable bike. Meanwhile the Japanese were selling ticking time bombs to the MX crowd, but that was somehow OK.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:32 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

My thoughts are affirmed! LOL I have been drug into working on one that has been sitting around for a couple of years. Kind of a hobby/challenge to get it back up and running. I wont have any cash outlay just tinker time. It will be for sale as soon as we get it to go. I'm a two stroke guy anyway. Keep it simple. Thanks for your response.
Ozzy
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! What an incredible ride!"
Old 12-09-2017, 05:06 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Ozzy,
Do you have the engine shop manual?
Call me. I might be able to help you with your project.

The early FSE400-450 was a real fun bike to ride. The harder you pushed it, the better it did. Predictable manners. I'll tell you a story or two about my experiences with them.
I had a few problems, but they had nothing to do with suspension or handling.

Good Riding and Wrenching to You!
Jim
'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/