Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 04-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

I've passed the info on to the dealer who has forwarded it to the importer. I'm waiting patiently to hear back with an update. I personally still can't grasp how this would have happened. You'd imagine it would take significant over torquing to stress it enough to crack like that and wouldn't expect the factory or a dealer to go that hard on it.

I've done some back ground work on parts in the mean time. The cleavis is part number 01283-35. $60USD, however will have to be sourced direct from Sweden. ETA 4 - 6 weeks. I very much doubt they will have a spare one floating around Australia, and as Clay has indicated in another thread, even the shocks themselves are in short supply and being delayed. I'm not feeling very confident on a quick turn around short of Gas Gas Australia pulling a shock out of another bike. I would really appreciate their assistance in repairing the damaged one, but wouldn't expect them to replace a whole shock.

Checking TTX there are two part numbers listed GG1182 and GG1282, the later for the 2012 models. Can anyone here confirm if the 2012 model still uses the same size shock and same mounts with the new frame? I'm just trying to work out if the new product code is just for 2012 valving updates, or if there have been significant changes to other parts of the shock. I don't think I'll be riding for a month

Old 04-23-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
I've passed the info on to the dealer who has forwarded it to the importer. I'm waiting patiently to hear back with an update. I personally still can't grasp how this would have happened. You'd imagine it would take significant over torquing to stress it enough to crack like that and wouldn't expect the factory or a dealer to go that hard on it.

I've done some back ground work on parts in the mean time. The cleavis is part number 01283-35. $60USD, however will have to be sourced direct from Sweden. ETA 4 - 6 weeks. I very much doubt they will have a spare one floating around Australia, and as Clay has indicated in another thread, even the shocks themselves are in short supply and being delayed. I'm not feeling very confident on a quick turn around short of Gas Gas Australia pulling a shock out of another bike. I would really appreciate their assistance in repairing the damaged one, but wouldn't expect them to replace a whole shock.

Checking TTX there are two part numbers listed GG1182 and GG1282, the later for the 2012 models. Can anyone here confirm if the 2012 model still uses the same size shock and same mounts with the new frame? I'm just trying to work out if the new product code is just for 2012 valving updates, or if there have been significant changes to other parts of the shock. I don't think I'll be riding for a month
Honestly,
I would think that any Ohlins-qualified/certified suspension shop might have this part in stock... I mean the clevis must be an Ohlins part, not a GasGas part... Make some calls to some suspension shops... Maybe I'm wrong...
Old 04-23-2012, 08:33 PM

I just went through the same thing with my 06.
Ended up running it cracked for another 6 rides until the new clevis arrived.
All I did was put a thinned down nut on the back side of the bolt (gotta be careful that it clears the dogbones) to make sure the bolt couldnt back out.
The crack never spread or opened at all, so in the short term I'd say use it and just keep an eye on it.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

myrcrocks - I have been checking with a certified Ohlins dealer. Result - Back order from Sweden.

NZ - If it has cracked when being torqued up, I've either been riding it like this since day one, or at least 6 months from when it was last pulled. If its cracked under load then it could have happened any time within the last 15 months so its probably fair to say its safe to use in the interim. I'd rather not though if I can avoid it.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:17 PM

Check here in the US, start with Ohlins USA.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Check here in the US, start with Ohlins USA.
Had checked with HardRacing who goes through Ohlins USA. twowheels has been kind enough to also check with Ohlins USA. I've contacted a suspension company here in Australia to see if they can check availability etc through Ohlins Aus. I'm not liking the odds though.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:39 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Shock treatment? If so you are using the best. That shock with what...150 hrs? Is in need of a service no matter what, while it's apart you should pay for a revalve and save the double handling, I am dead certain gasgas spec the valving, and the shock expert works in the sangria bar next to the lunch room..hic.

Current. 2015 ec300r estart, 98 RM 125

2013 Ec300r 2011 Ec300e 2009 Husky TE310
1982 XR500 Honda 1981 KE100 Kawasaki
1978 GT80 Yamaha
Old 04-24-2012, 04:02 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I was looking at the pics a second time and that can be repaired untill you get a new one.

I suggest first to v notch the crack on the bottom and sides then tig weld.
Grind the welds flush with a dremmel tool.
Last weld a strip across the bottom, clean up to fit.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

Thats always an option too. Its not like its a load bearing part and should be repairable. Once again it comes down to finding someone who is capable to do the work

You are right as always Simmo. Terry Hays at Shock Treatment is who I emailed. We'll see what he says. Also agree with 160hrs it needs a service. As for the revalve what do I ask for? I have no real info to say the shock does this, doesn't do that.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:01 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I agree it's hard to know, but I would trust someone like terry to get it near spot on, use the form on his website, give him the spring rates you have, that you have ttx inserts, your riding weight, use the dbw ride grading for your ability, your most travelled terrain ( eg east coast hills, single track trail riding in sand, loam and clay with roots and rocks - pretty much what we've all got!!), your style of riding, what you dont like about your current setup ( e.g tiring, harsh over obstacles etc) what you do like (eg. gets better as you push it) let him know it all. He will have an idea what you will like, especially if he knows what you are running in the forks.

Current. 2015 ec300r estart, 98 RM 125

2013 Ec300r 2011 Ec300e 2009 Husky TE310
1982 XR500 Honda 1981 KE100 Kawasaki
1978 GT80 Yamaha