Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 09-15-2009, 04:10 AM

Yes Chiro is chiropractic.. and I'll be seeing my guy on friday.. the rotor cuff isnt as bad as it seams,, had the lower part of mine removed when I was 21,, had an issue with it dislocating and it folded in on itself when I put it back in.. lost most of the feeling of my arm.. They fixed it with the surgury but I wish it was done later in life as the procedure they do now is much much better than mine,, some 18 years ago,, and if they clamp you on the spin table,, you will be sore the day after.. believe me!

03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone

Old 09-15-2009, 07:13 AM

NSAID = non-steroidal anti-inflamitory drug. A family of drugs which include Ibuprofin, Naproxin, (yes, the same over the counter pain killers) and additional stronger precription medications of the same type, like Celebrex. Avoid them while bone is healing.

With the way my life schedule is now, I'm lucky to get a home cooked dinner a couple times a week. Make my own bread? Let me mention that to my wife and see how that goes over. Very good advice in theory, just tough to practice in the rat race of today, especially here in the cut throat northeast.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:26 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I suppose making your own bread isn't for everyone, but I'm a simple farm boy, and I can't see paying $6.50 for a loaf of bread, which is what the local bakery (real bakery) charges.

If you are willing to spend the money, there are lots of good options out there. Eating healthy can be expensive if you have to buy organic food. I'm not completely sold on organic, studies have shown that organic has no more nutritional value than any other food. I go for Organic meats, but veggies, not so much. Nothing like home grown beef! I miss it.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 10-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Still recovering from the knee operation, my morale was boosted with the following joke:

In doctors' office:

- Doc, my knee hurts?

- Can you flex it?

- Sure! In which direction do you prefer?
Old 10-16-2009, 12:28 PM

Some progress from me. Short flashback - O'Donaghue's triad plus more after luxation of the knee.

Yesterday, 5 weeks post surgery, I had a visit to the doctor who mercifully allowed me 30 degrees of flexing.
Today I had my first PT session. There was some pain and crunching noises from inside. I'm at about 30 degrees, though. Extension is something like -5, -10 degrees and I agreed with the physiotherapist to take it easy on it and focus on flexing for the time being. Can't help it being terrified with hyperextension and the pain.

Man, it's weird how the knee seems, feels and behaves like a brick. Complete disobedience of direct orders to flex! Unfortunatelly I can't fire the MF and through it out of the door

P.S.
My PT therapist is "she". I sure hope that helps
Old 10-16-2009, 05:40 PM

Do as much movement/PT as you can, even if you have to take pain medication to do it.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:15 PM

Some update if someone is following my tragedy

First week of PT has elapsed. I'm slowly progressing, I think. I have some improvement in flexing and extending, but nothing dramatic. PT sessions are still painful and weird. I can't help it feel that something will pop, snap or brake in there at any given moment. When the physiotherapist is flexing the knee and applying pressure I'm sure that my tibia will pop to the front. The whole knee is still hard as a rock when you touch it (or flex it). The patella has finally stared moving around a little bit when you push it with fingers. I still comfort myself that there can't be miracles in 7 PT sessions after 45 days of immobilization (and surgery, of course). Muscles are still quite sponge-like, especially on the thigh.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:27 AM

Today was my PT seesion #11 (I have them daily) and something very weird happened.

For about half of the sessions, I lay on my bellie and the physiotherapist is flexing my knee up to it's limit. Naturally there is a lot of pain during these exercises and today was not different. But at the 2nd or 3rd repetition, I think (I repeat, I think) something crunched in there and the pain decreased tremendously! There is no dramatic increase in ROM or something, but the pain is definetely much less. Even now, while sitting and writing these the knee feels better than before.

Have you, rehab veterans, experienced something similar? Could I've snapped or ripped something (like the new ACL, for example)? We have a saying round here that too good is no good...
Old 10-27-2009, 02:05 PM

Probably some scar tissue releasing its death grip.

I had a 5 for 1 deal on the operating table to fix the outcome of a rather violent shoulder dislocation and have had a few instances of just what you said during the last 5 months of rehab.

Oh ya, gotta love pain if you want to recover!

Good luck!
Old 10-27-2009, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the reassurance.

I also came to this conclusion, after applying some common sense. The sensation was remarkably close to what I felt when I dislocated the knee and then it poped back into place.