Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:43 PM

Unhappy

Back in the 1980s and 1990s when I was a cross-country hang glider pilot flying the competion gliders, weight was often an issue (because we had to hoof them off the mountain launch. The comp gliders were heavier because they had to be made stiffer so as not to flex too much at speed. Sure, speed, glide ratio, sink-rate, handling and landing performance were the primary considerations. But weight discussions sometimes entered the mix.

The two main manufacturers were Wills Wing in California (sort of like KTM, today), and Moyes in Australia (very Gas Gassy). The owner's son, Steve Moyes was the Nambotin of his day (and never defected , of course).

Yes, the Moyes felt a bit heavy on the ground, but in the air the Moyes GTR turned circles (quite literally) around the Wills glider and easily out-landed it.

Everyone cited the weight figures in the brochures. I had talked to the manufactures and found that Moys weightls their gliders "in the glider bag" with all the pads and bags contained inside while the other manufacturers weighed them set up with extraneous doo-dads removed.

So, one day I bought my bathroom scale to the set-up area and had people weigh them. The Moyes glider actually weighed a couple pounds less while set up than the specs stated. The other gliders all weighed the same or more, narrowing the differences to an insignificant 3 or 4 pounds.

I think I'll do the same for our next camp and ride.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:57 PM

Don't get too worked up. A 2012/3 300e is 258 ready to go, 1 gal of gas, rad and hand guards.

PlusOnePerformance
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 06-21-2013, 05:10 PM

So, enuf of the weight talk. What, if any, was the substance of the article? I hope my mag is waiting for me at home.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:34 PM

I read the article and it was ok. I truely believe the bike was not set up well. I think about when I bought my 2011 Race used becasue the gentleman who had it just did not like it. I went to pick it up and it had maybe 5 hrs on it and the engine ws very tight. I knew it was basically new. Took it for a test drive and yea it did not run that well. Gearing felt gappy. Ok low end. flat in the middle and a big hit. I had a 2005 so I was confident. Bring the bike home. Adjust the power valve linkage to take out the slop. Do a bunch of Jetting with the help of this site. Get rid of excessive preload on the shock. Can run 13-48 in sand and esily catch gear to gear. The thing hooks up like no other.

Now back to the test. Power was smooth but flat the middle but it din't rev. Rear shock had a spike. Front end was a little sketchy. Forks just did not work well (was this air in the cartridge?). Heavy. Brakes felt weak because the bike was so heavy. Wierd gearing. Adam Booth persoal note just ragged on it. Outside of the comments on the forks it sounded lie the bike I picked I bought.

It is too bad because if set up right with no cost except a needle the bike is outstanding. My best validaion is all I do is mess with my KTM trying it to get it to be closer to the GasGas.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukwheat View Post
You might see me there but I'm in the "Grandpa" class. I love racing down in Perry Mtn. I was this past year at the shoot out and started, got about 4 miles and the newly installed Recluse started slipping real bad and lost drive.
Where are you in GA?
Forsyth County-30 min. north of Atlanta. I race the SORCS series in Ga., Tenn. its alot of fun. I havent raced SETRA in a while but I always liked the shootout. Racing guys from other series is fun and I like Clanton. Alabama is beautiful. I also am in the "old man" class. Will be 45 this year. Hopefully we will run into each other sometime.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estwudsracer View Post
Forsyth County-30 min. north of Atlanta. I race the SORCS series in Ga., Tenn. its alot of fun. I havent raced SETRA in a while but I always liked the shootout. Racing guys from other series is fun and I like Clanton. Alabama is beautiful. I also am in the "old man" class. Will be 45 this year. Hopefully we will run into each other sometime.
Drop me a line when you plan to be over this way and I will look you up. If you want to come over and ride, let me know....I've got some good places to ride.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:42 PM

Just read the article. Funny, if I hadn't ridden most of those other bikes I wouldn't know what to think.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:42 AM

Well to someone like myself who hasn't ridden all those bikes, it does raise some questions. But hopefully I can make it to the Cross Fork PA round and ride as many as I can get my grubby little paws on. I also know that no matter what the "EXPERTS" say at the dirt rags, they aren't going to bite the hand that feeds them. Gone are the days of Rick "Super Hunky" Sieman who regularly pizzed off the manufacturers. I don't hold anything against KTM, remember years ago when the Japanese big 4 ruled the earth and Honda won every shootout! Besides the people on this forum are not paid for their reviews so I'm thinking that the GasGas might be just a little better than Dirt Rider says.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCG61 View Post
Well to someone like myself who hasn't ridden all those bikes, it does raise some questions. But hopefully I can make it to the Cross Fork PA round and ride as many as I can get my grubby little paws on. I also know that no matter what the "EXPERTS" say at the dirt rags, they aren't going to bite the hand that feeds them. Gone are the days of Rick "Super Hunky" Sieman who regularly pizzed off the manufacturers. I don't hold anything against KTM, remember years ago when the Japanese big 4 ruled the earth and Honda won every shootout! Besides the people on this forum are not paid for their reviews so I'm thinking that the GasGas might be just a little better than Dirt Rider says.
Super Hunky is the man! He still sells bikes and stuff on the vintage forums.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 06-22-2013, 10:18 AM

Definitely disappointed with DR's review. I have riden a KTM 200 back to back with my GG 200, yes my gasser does feel heavier, but it doesnt feel that much heavier, and I feel like it actually turns better and tracks better than the KTM. I can somewhat agree with there being a bit of harshness in the fork and shock in the midstroke, but after a revalve which who doesnt do that anyways, it is like riding a cloud. Just kind of saddening to see the bias with which the article was written.