Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:56 AM

Default KTM visits Gas Gas factory

As we all know, Gas Gas is bankrupt and the factory was "shut down" (not sure in what terms tough) a few days ago.

Today it seams KTM officials have visited the factory with interest in what it seams to buy the Gas Gas and move production to Austria (rumor only, anybody can know for sure ?).

This is how the employees at Gas Gas responded, pics here.

Since i can't understand Spanish, can somebody translate and summarize for all of us ?

I am very interested in the subject since I moved from Husky to Gas Gas a week ago and really want to know if (and hope) Gas Gas is moving in the right direction. I would hate to see yet another brand bought by KTM and moved to Austria.

I've got nothing with KTM however it's not very good for competition is it ? Plus, KTM in my heart died when they bough Husa (witch is now a dead) and Husky (witch now produces KTMs under a different color scheme), a big f'em from my part .

p.s. how come European Competition Network is not interfering with the matter ? this is clearly becoming a "starving and buying competition" thingy

Old 07-29-2015, 07:33 AM

Google translate is your friend:

Gas Gas KTM: 'This is not your house'

KTM has shown interest in Gas Gas, an open secret despite past statements from the Austrian brand ... However, today, a delegation of KTM was scheduled to visit the facilities Gas Gas has in Salt (Girona) and who are with constant activity due to the sales department and parts. The surprise was this morning when one of the majority shareholders of Spanish lamarca would bring the hand KTM to visit the facilities. Employees have hung a noose a stuffed orange full facade in Gas Gas with slogan in English and German: "This is not your home." Also, there have been burning tires.

KTM looking for a 'trial bike'

Rumors of the purchase of Gas Gas KTM become news. It is one of the few markets that are missing to occupy in the world of off-road, the trial, where Spanish is not only the leading brand in sales, but also the global benchmark. However, employees (who today do not get their salary) do not want the Austrian group would buy the brand because the closure of its facilities in Spain and moving to Mattighofen (Austria), where the company has its' headquarter '. Gas Gas employees believe they can pass a similar buying Husqvarna case, when the factory closed in Italy. The same has happened with a potential buyer and MV Augusta.

Current situation

Gas Gas is in liquidation ... But sales services and spare units still standing thanks to an initiative by employees. I'll tell you: a group of entrepreneurs within the employees, who do not receive benefits, they made a proposal of his own pocket to assure customers service parts and the sale of units that were already made. The insolvency administrator, to understand the proposal and see the desire of entrepreneurs, provided a small part of the fund to Gas Gas account. In this sense, users of Gas Gas are guaranteed to enjoy their mounts.

Buyers

As announced in EnduroPro few months ago, that's all that he needs to Gas Gas to stay alive. The only? With settlement there would be no bank debt, which was the most, and Gas Gas would remain a reliable company. Today, KTM, MV Augusta, other brands off-road sector and an Asian investor in the world of two wheels have exchanged numbers with the Catalan firm. The expectations of the management of Gas Gas happen because the company continues to exist because the bank removed, the company would eliminate much of its ballast.

2009 EC300 Six Days
Old 07-29-2015, 07:48 AM

Thanks jprizz.

I also really want to see how the gasgasrider community feels about this.

p.s. this also means Ossa is going down too ... since they joined with Gas Gas to reduce production costs at the Spanish government initiative
Old 07-29-2015, 08:02 AM

I would think we are at past the point of Gas Gas going down...that has already happened. Now rather than some liquidation garage sale that benefits no one, maybe KTM will buy them (or another brand) and will continue to at least make parts.

I have an Italian Husky, and KTM is making and distributing parts for the old bikes through the Husky dealer channel. This was the best scenario we could hope for...
Old 07-29-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95jersey View Post
I would think we are at past the point of Gas Gas going down...that has already happened. Now rather than some liquidation garage sale that benefits no one, maybe KTM will buy them (or another brand) and will continue to at least make parts.

I have an Italian Husky, and KTM is making and distributing parts for the old bikes through the Husky dealer channel. This was the best scenario we could hope for...
Yes, I know about the Husky parts sold thru the BMW Motorrad dealers.

What i fear the most is in the future we won't have the diversity we had till now. It will be either jap or orange bikes to shop around for, the thing is competition for orange bikes is dying as we speak ...

I really hope Beta does well this year with the new line, otherwise next year we will see the same regarding them too.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:09 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95jersey View Post

Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poelinca View Post
Yes, I know about the Husky parts sold thru the BMW Motorrad dealers.

What i fear the most is in the future we won't have the diversity we had till now. It will be either jap or orange bikes to shop around for, the thing is competition for orange bikes is dying as we speak ...

I really hope Beta does well this year with the new line, otherwise next year we will see the same regarding them too.
Don't forget about Sherco, AJP, and if you have $$$ TM. Still plenty of options and SWM is bringing back the Italian Husky line under a new name.

Also JotaGas is supposedly coming to market with an Enduro too and the japs seem to be waking up.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:14 AM

KTM obviously wants the trials, so they'd just dump the enduro models. I hate this scenario. I would much rather MV Agusta end up with the brand. Crossing fingers.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
KTM obviously wants the trials, so they'd just dump the enduro models. I hate this scenario. I would much rather MV Agusta end up with the brand. Crossing fingers.
MV Agusta would be the best scenario in my opinion. They would have an instant foot into the door of the trials market and gain a great 2 stroke along with the late model red head motors technology. All to go along with their street bikes.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:03 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGas View Post
MV Agusta would be the best scenario in my opinion.
It would be interesting for sure - look what's happened to Ducati now that they're owned by Volkswagen (by way of Audi). Not that Ducati sales were hurting, but I'd wager Audi's influence and deeper pockets has enabled the Ducs to be back toward the front of the pack in MotoGP - no easy feat given their track record after Casey Stoner left.

Daimler currently holds a 25% stake in MV, which is good as things looked pretty bleak after Harley bought them and then sold them in short order. Seems some of the car companies want a piece of the motorcycle game.

Just hope the GG brand endures, tough to see what's transpired.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:01 PM

FYI Ossa move into one of the less used parts of the GasGas factory to produce their bikes. Ossa is currently in court with the GasGas liquidators to sue to get their production back. They were never bought or merged with GasGas, only moved in to a part of their facility. This was told to me by my local gasgas/ossa dealer who visits the factory once or twice a year.

He's going over there at the end of August (pretty sure) and I see him at trials events all the time. Can't wait to hear what he says about the whole situation with both of them.