Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:35 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz955i View Post
Good on Beta for trying. I have the feeling a lot of people would be much happier with a bike like the XTrainer if they were more honest about they really intended to use the bike.
+1 on this; I was really interested in the KTM Freeride 2T when it was out in Europe; took the maroons long enough to bring it to the states.

There's a market out there for entry level bikes like the Freeride and X-Trainer; it's not like manufacturers simply build a bike without doing requisite market research. And if anyone thinks the folks buying these bikes don't have the potential to step up (ie full enduro) at a later point in time, they're not savvy to how market dynamics work.

As an example, local Beta dealer in town pre-sold all X-Trainers they ordered - which I believe was in the neighborhood of 8 or 9 of 'em. Some of it might be the "look what I have" aspect, but I'd wager it's normal people wanting to get into the sport; or maybe get back into the sport like I did a few years back.

Regardless, the sad state of affairs at GG sucks. I like the employees "welcome" to the KTM bosses - shows their spirit. It's a crap situation all the way around

Old 07-30-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2day View Post
+1 on this; I was really interested in the KTM Freeride 2T when it was out in Europe; took the maroons long enough to bring it to the states.

There's a market out there for entry level bikes like the Freeride and X-Trainer; it's not like manufacturers simply build a bike without doing requisite market research. And if anyone thinks the folks buying these bikes don't have the potential to step up (ie full enduro) at a later point in time, they're not savvy to how market dynamics work.

As an example, local Beta dealer in town pre-sold all X-Trainers they ordered - which I believe was in the neighborhood of 8 or 9 of 'em. Some of it might be the "look what I have" aspect, but I'd wager it's normal people wanting to get into the sport; or maybe get back into the sport like I did a few years back.

Regardless, the sad state of affairs at GG sucks. I like the employees "welcome" to the KTM bosses - shows their spirit. It's a crap situation all the way around
The fanciest tool isn't always the best tool depending on the job. I spent years riding motocross bike on trails because I was convinced bikes like the Kawi KDX were outdated and pretty useless. I finally bought one a couple years back and my eyes were opened. As a race bike, maybe not the best choice (unless your initials are JF) but a very competent and easy to use dirt bike. Apparently for Kawasaki not enough people shared that sentiment or they might still be making them. The Gas Gas Cami looked interesting but it is a four stroke and not sure any ever made it to the states.

I agree 100% on your last statement.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:41 PM
Banned

I know this is getting off topic, but the problem with easy to ride so called trail bikes is they looked liked crap until Beta made them look the same as there line-up of bikes. Beta nailed it by doing that. I couldnt get my wife on anything else because she noticed a difference in the looks dept. If the japs, ktm and GasGas would have figured this out long ago they would have sold the crap out of them. Had Kawasaki made the KDX to look like an mx bike it would have done a lot better then it did, same for the klx models, great motor and trail manners it just looked a little dated when it came out.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgasser300 View Post
I know this is getting off topic, but the problem with easy to ride so called trail bikes is they looked liked crap until Beta made them look the same as there line-up of bikes. Beta nailed it by doing that. I couldnt get my wife on anything else because she noticed a difference in the looks dept. If the japs, ktm and GasGas would have figured this out long ago they would have sold the crap out of them. Had Kawasaki made the KDX to look like an mx bike it would have done a lot better then it did, same for the klx models, great motor and trail manners it just looked a little dated when it came out.
Yeah, very good point and more than a few KDX motors stuffed in KX and KX-F chassis to support it.

To the topic it surprises me the amount of animosity KTM generates. KTM probably has done more to provide a full line of off road motorcycles in the USA than anyone else I can think of. IMO KTM is not a bad guy for what they did to Husqvarna or what they may do with Gas Gas. Without them Husky would likely be in the same place as Gas Gas is now, liquidation with current owners praying there will be some parts support going forward and maybe a viable brand if we really get lucky.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:01 PM

I've been following nearly every review on the Freeride and X trainer and have to say I agree with gasgasxc. I don't get it. A low HP soft motor with tons of lowend, soft, inferior suspension, below average brakes by today's standards. I would think you could save a ton of money and just buy a KDX or XR. Heck, if you want r-start, get a CRF230. I know it has low seat height, but there's lowering links, shaving seats, or even professional lowering your bike.

I saw 1 X trainer at the last race I did in May and the guy is in his 70's.

I would much rather take a modern 200/250/300 and make simple adjustments to make it suited for tight woods. FWW, Rekluse, jetting, PV adjustments, head mods, pipes, etc. are all effective ways to adjust your power delivery to suit your terrain.

Honestly, I could see KTM jumping on this opportunity like they did with Husky and Husaberg.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:48 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

I doubt KTM will be intimidated by the GG staff antics. If they are interested in the brand they will most likely move production to Austria where the guys work precisely don't take siesta and work during the soccer World Cup period as well

But hopefully their antics are getting them some local publicity that will encourage a rich Spanish patriot to buy it instead

PS a GG built/owned by KTM will kill most of the bike forums there will be no more brand bashing :-)
Old 07-31-2015, 02:48 AM

I have ridden a X trainer and its nothing like a KDX, yes its a modern version but its not the same, you cant compare them the same as you couldn't compare a 80's car to a current model, yeah they were built to do the same thing but they are no where near being the same.

Pity Gas Gas didn't build a modern Pampera 2 stroke, that would have sold very well. In the UK a 10+ year old 2 stroke Pampera is worth about $2500. The same money would buy you a 5 year old EC300.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemetal2 View Post
FYI Ossa move into one of the less used parts of the GasGas factory to produce their bikes. Ossa is currently in court with the GasGas liquidators to sue to get their production back. They were never bought or merged with GasGas, only moved in to a part of their facility. This was told to me by my local gasgas/ossa dealer who visits the factory once or twice a year.

He's going over there at the end of August (pretty sure) and I see him at trials events all the time. Can't wait to hear what he says about the whole situation with both of them.
Keep us posted with any info you can get your hands on please!
Old 07-31-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber Jonny View Post
I have ridden a X trainer and its nothing like a KDX, yes its a modern version but its not the same, you cant compare them the same as you couldn't compare a 80's car to a current model, yeah they were built to do the same thing but they are no where near being the same.

Pity Gas Gas didn't build a modern Pampera 2 stroke, that would have sold very well. In the UK a 10+ year old 2 stroke Pampera is worth about $2500. The same money would buy you a 5 year old EC300.
The Xtrainer is what the KDX should have been had Kawasaki not discontinued it. The once a decade re-style didn't help. Interesting quote about the Pampera. Guess not everyone is looking for a race bike with lights. I pulled some pictures and really like the ones with the high front fender. Were those street legal in the UK?
Old 07-31-2015, 11:28 AM

Wether you like the great for nothing but good and fun for some things style motorcycles.
Which is basicly a cheap and relatively easy to manufacture offroad bike with a price point far above its true value.

Why buy the Stihl Pro when you could buy the Walmart Poulan for just a few dollars less.??
Fun little chainsaw still cuts wood just fine.And its wife, kid and mother in law friendly.

Whatever, either way, that wasnt my point.
KTM will buy to exterminate the competition.
They dont need to make a Austrian version of a Gas Gas.

Gas Gas sticks with trials bikes and doesnt borrow a crapload of mulla to build a line of Offroad race bikes that they cannot support and we wouldnt be talking about Gas Gas being gone.

Im sure they were spending money that they did not have on R&D for these overpriced underwhelming mother in law friendly free rides also.Shitttt.

Did it to themselves.
We live in a free market capitalistic world economy.
KTM is stepping in and choppin heads off.
Thats how it works.