Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

For me, less is more. No need for a dozen models, so I second the original reply.

Two strokes in kick only or e-start, all but the 125. Truthfully, I'd like to see a 150.

It is nice that our bikes chime with lights. Front and rear please.

I don't give a rip about four strokes. If GG is going to sell them, that Yamaha powered 250 seems okay. The big one is a pile though (my opinion). I wouldn't bother. Maybe buy someone else's engine for that too. Not that it matters to me.

Maybe there is trouble back East with two stroke trail bikes, but we have no such problem in the PNW. It may be coming, but at some point, if the demand for two strokes is high enough, the producers will make them, and make them legal.

OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs

Old 12-20-2010, 04:43 PM

I'm too new to the brand to be taken seriously, but I think there's something to be said for less models. As a GG newbie, I'm swimming in a pool of confusion about what I bought and what is available. Simplification is a good thing IMHO. Just a thought.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Skidad,
I didn't mention this but I plan to give the factory some reccommended valving specs and ask for stiffer springs for fat assed Amewricans like me.

BTW....I am pretty much opposed to the 50mm Zoke. I think it is waaaay too stiff for the average rider.

Clay
It's not really about the physical size of the fork but the spring and valving choices made for the fork (as you can see from your top sentence). Plenty of guys love the 50mm Zokes....especially after Les at LTR gets his hands on them.

Perhaps GG could get Ohlins to make a TTX cartridge kit for 48mm Zokes?
Old 12-20-2010, 05:20 PM

Ok here's my .02......EC 150, 200, 250, and 300 standard kick start. 200, 250, & 300 EC with e-start. 250 & 300 Race/Six Days hybrid with the good race stuff (brakes, cooler, 48 mm forks, skid plate, rad braces, etc. This is the set up I would get now and what I think you are talking about Clay. I agree if they aren't out by fall just stick with the SixDay. I don't think Gasgas should go overboard with the models but don't loose sales to KTM because you don't have a 200 for the beginners or a race ready 300 for the pro's. Thank you Clay for asking our opinions I appreciate it.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostafish View Post
For me, less is more. No need for a dozen models, so I second the original reply.

Two strokes in kick only or e-start, all but the 125. Truthfully, I'd like to see a 150.

It is nice that our bikes chime with lights. Front and rear please.

I don't give a rip about four strokes. If GG is going to sell them, that Yamaha powered 250 seems okay. The big one is a pile though (my opinion). I wouldn't bother. Maybe buy someone else's engine for that too. Not that it matters to me.

Maybe there is trouble back East with two stroke trail bikes, but we have no such problem in the PNW. It may be coming, but at some point, if the demand for two strokes is high enough, the producers will make them, and make them legal.
Obviously I agree that there are too many models. I have spent the last 4.5 months first trying to understand the differences and then trying to explain them. Lots of confusion, no doubt. I also agree that the 125 needs to be a 150. That's on my list, too. We can't bring them w/ rear tail lights. There are a series of questions from the EPA that you have to pass to get the competition off road exemption. You can't have headlight, spark arrestor and taillight. Or a full warranty, less than 10" suspension travel or a seat that will carry two people. Those questions are designed to keep out the cheap Chinese stuff. You have to answer 'no' to 4 of the 6 questions above to qualify.I was told that next year the 450 may have a Yamaha WR motor.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieg View Post
I'm too new to the brand to be taken seriously, but I think there's something to be said for less models. As a GG newbie, I'm swimming in a pool of confusion about what I bought and what is available. Simplification is a good thing IMHO. Just a thought.
Absolutely not! A lot of the guys on this site have been around GG long enough that they get the small differences. Guys like yourself are the guys struggling the most with this overload. Your comment is exactly what I am trying to avoid next year so I especially want to hear from the "newbies"!
Clay
Old 12-20-2010, 05:29 PM
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by john01 View Post
Ok here's my .02......EC 150, 200, 250, and 300 standard kick start. 200, 250, & 300 EC with e-start. 250 & 300 Race/Six Days hybrid with the good race stuff (brakes, cooler, 48 mm forks, skid plate, rad braces, etc. This is the set up I would get now and what I think you are talking about Clay. I agree if they aren't out by fall just stick with the SixDay. I don't think Gasgas should go overboard with the models but don't loose sales to KTM because you don't have a 200 for the beginners or a race ready 300 for the pro's. Thank you Clay for asking our opinions I appreciate it.
Ok so John totally agreed with me so its a done deal. Discussion over!
Just kidding....!
Clay
Old 12-20-2010, 05:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidad View Post
It's not really about the physical size of the fork but the spring and valving choices made for the fork (as you can see from your top sentence). Plenty of guys love the 50mm Zokes....especially after Les at LTR gets his hands on them.

Perhaps GG could get Ohlins to make a TTX cartridge kit for 48mm Zokes?
Good point. I will ask Ohlins and the factory about the TTX/Marzocchi 48 kit. Maybe the 48 zoke will be so good that you won't want it. I'm looking forward to getting to ride a bike with that new fork on it.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:36 PM

Yep! Yes sir, sir yes sir LOL! I also like your idea on calling the EC's XC's. That alone with eliminate lot's of the confusion.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:54 PM

i rather like how ktm has their deal set up in the sense that they have a race edition (xc) and a trail (xc-w) for their two stroke enduros. if we keep the standard bike, with option of estart or not, a race edition with different suspension components and other little bells and whistles, then have the special editions for people with too much money on their hands. definately need to lay out the differences for new buyers, but being able to choose a full out race bike versus a trail hopper would be nice, and to be able to get a race ready bike without paying an arm and a leg (nambo) would be nice too.