Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 05-26-2011, 05:29 PM

Default Chrons disease and similar, any other sufferers?

It can be a right pain when racing/riding etc. Saps you of energy and all sorts. Rough choppy tracks etc can be bloody painful on my stomach aswell.
Anyone else have to deal with this?
I think the biggest thing that bugs me is i just dont get any speed anymore, tend to ride on instinct but with masses more self preservation. That could just be down to me being older now but you get the idea?!?!?!
Anyway, do you still race and the likes or has the likes of Chrons etc put an end to it and maybe im expecting to much?
Cheers.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:28 PM

Not chroms but many on here with physical issues from years of riding or bad wrecks like me(autowreck) that has us with some kind of issue to deal with. Mine is nerve damage or something(Dr's still arnt sure) have my hands going numbs and either loosing feeling and going limp or just going to sleep/pins & needles. Also a sciatica issue that has me without feeling from the knees down most of the time I'm on the bike. I take ibuprofen 800mg several times a day on riding days that really messes with my system. I'm sure a few others will chime in.
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 05-27-2011, 01:53 AM

Ah yeah, the old injury syndrome is a classic Knackered knees, neck, lower back etc. My right hand is the biggest issue due to it being broken and broken right wrist/nerve damaege etc. Hurts like hell for the first 30 minutes of a race or ride out but then goes numb. Weird.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:49 AM

Yeah,, that auto wreck did the most damage,, until then I only ever had a bad rib break on the bike,, 6 on one side... Ktm 300 with a throttle issue. The auto wreck was a head on with an old bitty who carded out while driving. Got her in a head on and broke my T1 in two places,, but we (wife was in the jeep too) walked out, so I can laugh and bitch about it. It makes riding interesting to say the least. Been 3 years and last sunday I can say I was almost at a real speed in the tight stuff.. Fun to still be twisting it. More than the idiots in the white coats w/clipboards thought I could do..
I'm trying to get a helmet cam so everybody can see my view of the trail/falls.
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 05-27-2011, 07:50 AM

GBR,

Welcome to the site. I have a neighbor with Chrones. He is not a particularly active guy and seems to be bothered by it often. On a good day he is out walking his dogs. Good for you that you can ride with it. I think one needs a passion to help push through the rough spots in life. My wife had a rare pancreatic cancer and a subsequent Whipple procedure, where they remove a lot of your stomach, intestine, duodneum, and pancreas. She has some rough days but can still trail ride her 250 Pampera (easy trails), ski, hike, etc. within reason.

In the end it is what it is and you play the cards you were delt. Just remember that the fact you are riding and competing on a dirt bike at what I'm guessing is middle age makes you a cut above the fat lazy wannabes that sit in frot of their bigscreens all weekend. Good luck to you.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:03 AM

Yeah, I too, am dealing with some health issues that have curtailed my riding.
In the end of Jan. of this year, I went in to have my prostate resection done.
I posted a thread about "Recovering" soon after. The urologist took about 95% of the prostate and sent some tissue to the the cytologist. Well, their findings came back as some cells from the bladder were suspicious. As it turns out, I have stage 3 bladder cancer. I started what they call BCG treatments the first part of Mar., the doc told me I would need from 4 to 8 weekly treatments. BCG chemical is some bovine derivitive and it basically burns off the lining of the bladder. The bladder lining in normal humans get sloughed off every 28 days and this chemical just does it in a matter of a couple of hours, then you start to generate a good new lining.

You're probably wondering how they administer this treatment.....its by catheter (of which I pretty used to now ) and I have to leave it in
for at least an hour but they would like you to hold it for 2 hours. I have yet to hold it for 2 hours. With it, the feeling is like you have to pee really bad....I mean really bad. Then when you do pee it out, for the next 3 or 4 days, it feels like you have to pee every few minutes and when you do, it burns like acid. Not fun at all.

I did have a 3 week period between the 4th and 5th treatment that I have felt great. The "plumbing" was working good, was just getting up maybe once or twice at night to pee. I was able to go trail riding on my new '11 GG and had a great time. My wife and I took a vacation out to Tucson to see the kids and had a great time.

The 5th treatment just kicked my ass, that was on April 21st and I have not been the same since. I have had to get up during the nite, at the very least 6 times and as many as 15 times in one nite, every nite! I told the urologist that I didn't think I could go through any more treatments and he thought at first it was a bladder infection but after testing, he thinks during that 3 week period the cancer came back and we need to continue the BCG treatments which probably won't bother me near as bad now since I have been pretty much dealing with those kind of effects ever since the middle of April.

All my life, (I will be 60 in two weeks) I have been really healthy. No major problems, a few broke bones and stitches and stuff, mostly related to mc racing. Never had ever spent the nite in a hospital until the prostate procedure, so I guess I should consider myself fortunate but you know.... getting old sucks.

But anyway, there are better days ahead and if the good Lord took me tomorrow, I'd have lived a good full life with no regrets.....

Last edited by bukwheat; 05-27-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:47 PM

I've got Ulcerative Colitis - as you probably know the brother/cousin of Crohns.

I still ride and still enjoy it also gives you something to look forward to when you are better.

I think my symptoms are different maybe I get very tired some-times and cannot get anything done when I'm like that, also worry some-times I will need the loo mid-lap or something. The good thing seems to be when you race your body shuts down your digestive system so that helps a lot. Some-times I will race without eating for 12-24 hours if I'm bad so that I can get the race done I'm lucky(ish) I can go without eating for long periods without it bothering me.

I'd say stick at it as long as you can keep enjoying it and you still look forward to riding or racing.

PS when my symptoms started I did not get pain in my abdomen but did 6-12 months later and it could get quite severe. I got a blood test done for food alergies which says i was off the scale for allergy to milk proten and cutting that out got rid of the pain - maybe worth a thought?

Health to ride
'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)