Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:20 AM

Default Improving my "woods" skills

I have only been a dedicated "woods" rider since Oct. 2011. Before that, more than 23 years have passed since I've owned a bike. The last couple of months I have been riding with some seriously accomplished riders(scary fast). I have determined, given the company I've been keeping, I suck! The positive: I don't get demoralized by getting dusted off, like I'm dragging a boat anchor. Another positive: I always enjoy my seat time. The guys I've been riding with have been patient & very gracious. I have improved way beyond where I imagined I'd be in 8 months. I can't wait 'till my son-in-law returns home in July. I still need to get "smooth" as I am an energy wasting machine. I guess time & more practice will be my friends. Thanks to those who've included me on their outings! Great Fun! Bill

Old 04-30-2012, 07:25 AM

You can attend any of the off road schools like the ones Shane Watts or Jason Raines put on. Those classes will take your riding to a whole new level.

If you can't find any in your area, You can go to youtube and Wattsy has his own page there. You can watch hours of techniques and exercises that you can practice anywhere. It's usually some of the most basic things where you can pick up the most on.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:04 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

+1 on training - I just did a training day with chris birch and most of the stuff we did was v slow speed drills - full lock figure 8's, small blip-wheelies etc. reasoning being that your balance and clutch control at those speeds are exaggerated and will help you at high speed once they feel natuarl
if you are new to the sport it will help you even more before you become good at doing it wrong, i now need to get rid of some bad habits!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:16 PM

Thanks for the input. Aside from riding, crashing, riding, & crashing some more...Hours spent watching videos has helped a lot. Realistically, I have progressed way beyond the guys I used to normally ride with, with exception of my son-in-law, who's an animal on his Gasser. Unlike my friends, I have the time and desire to ride at a higher level. I do see a riding school in my future. I love the debates...2-stroke vs 4-stroke, Sitting vs standing, etc.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

2T vs 4T / Standing vs Sitting / Riding vs Siteseeing See the relationship! lol

Seat time is your friend and it sounds like you're getting pleanty of it. The real challenge is to push your limits without biting off more than you can chew. Trashing the bike, your body and sometimes even your confidence doesn't help too much. Like others have said the basic skills are the same slow or fast. Probably even harder to do slow (think wheelies). I've never had the chance to do a training day but would jump if I could. For me I have a small trail close to home which is tight (1st gear on the pipe/2nd lugging). Very technical in terms of leaf litter, vines, trees, fallen trees, rocks, vertical drops and rises, and off camber turns. I just go out and see how long I can ride it without putting a foot down. It will take your body language, clutch, brake and throttle control to a new level.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:56 PM

I'm actually pretty lucky, road & mountain biking has kept me in pretty good shape. Some of the MTB, transfers to the motorbike. I do get out quite a bit. 1-3 times a week. I've discovered a little play area, where I can practice things like log hopping, riding up & over boulders, etc. I'm well aware of my weaknesses, and have been working to resolve those issues. Mostly, I need to stop being in such a hurry and ride smoothly & cleanly through the tight-twisties. Regardless of my lacking skills, it's a ton of FUN!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:07 PM

I am also always looking to sponge up skills and experience. If you want to practice together and make it to the Eastside of the hill.Look me up I have a nice well hidden training area. It has a little of every terrain in it.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waycrazy View Post
I am also always looking to sponge up skills and experience. If you want to practice together and make it to the Eastside of the hill.Look me up I have a nice well hidden training area. It has a little of every terrain in it.
Too bad, I sold my place on the west slope of White Pass. Aside from your secret play area, Is there any legal dirtbiking in the Rimrock area? Always wanted to jeep there, but always turned around at Whistilin' Jack's and headed back up to Funny & Moonrocks.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

got to do a watts class last year.. it was very cool.. i am a 49 yr old rider, been riding a while, was just not getting any better or faster. he teaches alot of basics, that i was sure doing wrong.. am i a ton faster ? no, but i am way more in control and dont have near the stupid crashes i used to. my corners are way better than ever..

alot of it is mental also.. he does a rut drill that is pretty cool, and teaches you think... "yeah.. a rut.. this will be great ".. and it works.. lots of slow speed stuff.. figure 8's.. sliding the front wheel locked up.. nose wheelies..
Old 05-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like you're on the right path bowhunter. The old tale rings true. You have to go slow to go fast. Like you said, don't go out there to try and ride fast. Just focus on riding continually and on refining techniques. I might even pick one thing to work on a weekend ride. Say corners.. Where I won't really try and push myself through much else than corners. Every corner making sure to tip the bike in, weight the outside peg, elbows up, looking forward. By the end of the day you are doing it all without really thinking. The next week corner entry speed/late braking. As they start to develop you'll notice them overlapping as well. I also make a mega mega mega point to myself to ride with my feet on the pegs all the time. If I need to paddle my feet like a duck to get up/over something I'll turn around and hit it again until its done right. Slow or fast! Foot pegs are made for feet and give you so much more control over where the bike is going and what its doing.