Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:45 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Default Body Armour

My 5-6 year old EVS body armour suit is sagging worse than my granny.
So need a bit of direction.Has anyone got or used the EVS G6 Ballistic Jersey,Fox Air Cage,Thor impact rig or the Leatt 3DF Airfit. The Leatt 3DF is interesting but know no one who has used it.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:12 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I bought the Leatt fusion 3.0 earlier this year and love it. I had never worn a neck brace before and I was worried it might me too restrictive but, I don't even notice it. It's a bit pricey if you already have a brace but, it less than buying a brace and chest protector separately.
Custom billet bits
Old 08-03-2015, 11:26 AM

I have the G6. Its got great protection and I like the lumbar support I get wearing it but there are some draw backs.

1. Its not a hot weather item, it does not breathe. I wore it for a riding trip once this Spring but I wont put it on riding my local trails in the summer time.
2. I could not wear it under my jersey without an under shirt which only adds to the body heat issue. Maybe you could, but I couldn't. So over my jersey it went. I felt I looked something like Batman - all black and covered in body armor, all I needed was my cape!
3. It has thumb holes to help keep the cuff in place but my arms are longer and the seam dug into my palm so I don't use them.
4. It has a pocket for a EVS hydration pack but I have yet to purchase that as the capacity I believe is smaller than the Camel back I've used, and I usually suck that dry quickly.

2009 EC300 Six Days
Old 08-03-2015, 12:27 PM

I tried the 661 pressure suit but it was too hot. I keep going back to the AXO air cage. it's made with wide fish net material that breathes the best that I've found.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:13 PM

Thanks Guys,
Forgot to mention I have an Omega neck brace which may rule out the Leatt fusion.
Good points on the G6.No problem with looking like Batman (lumpy Batman) but I overheat on a cloudy day.
The Air Cage looks a nice bit of kit.Can you wear it without an undershirt/base layer? Anyone got any negatives with it?
Any word on the Leatt 3DF magic soft armour?
Old 08-07-2015, 02:20 AM

Bump.
Anyone with any review on the Leatt 3DF magic soft armour stuff?
Old 08-07-2015, 03:00 AM

I went from a 661 suit to a Leatt 3DF suit.

The Leatt suit material is much tighter fitting, and more comfortable. It's almost a 2 person job to get off at the end of the ride, after becoming sweated onto your body...

The front and rear pads on the 3DF are ~ 20mm thick, and are very tough. As strong, if not better than the 661 plastic tiles.
The arm and shoulder pads are thinner, I felt they weren't as good as the hard plastic on the 661.
Luckily, I never had to test it out too excessively. However, the first time I wore it was at the 2012? Desert Storm, NZ folks will know what that is, when it was run in the winter, and was a bog for 100k. At some point I got jabbed in the chest, because there was a mark and a tear on the suit, but I don't even recall it happening.

Would I recommend it, yes, I considered and tried all the non-suit armours at the time before going with the 3DF.
With the Omega brace, you'll probably have to mess around getting it to fit, maybe look into cutting the rear back armour. All the pads are removable from the material 'shirt', so its easy enough to do.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:44 AM

Thankyou Noobi of Knowledge.
Will make a decision & consult with the accountant.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:42 AM
Banned

I bought the TLD bodyguard, nice snug fit and works with the omega neck and others.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:58 PM

Gloves, boots, elbows, knees and helmet is all anyone needs.
The rest of that crap makes you slow, and makes you a crasher.