Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:48 PM

Default How to make gaskets

Hey guys just wondering if any of you make your own gaskets also can anyone tell me what gasket materials I would have to use for my ec 250 2000 model im not on about the gaskets with metal inserts inside like the exhaust gasket.. Just the crank case, reed valve etc. also as well as material is thickness important?
Any input welcome thanks. what I am after is a list of materials and thicknesses to order for when I strip her down over winter after the next race as id like to have a go at making these gaskets my self.. Cheers
Luke

Old 09-17-2011, 02:54 PM

If you have the skill and the patience an exacto knife taken to a cereal box works on most applications that don't require a rubberized seal.

I usually look at the original material and try to match it up with what's available.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:00 PM

Lots of good choices and info here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-gaskets/=e3shk9

The assortment pack looks like something I should have just so I have it.
I have a problem that way...
Old 09-17-2011, 04:08 PM
Site Sponsor

i bought a couple different thickness rolls from mcmaster - they last a long time... the most crucial item to have while making gaskets is a hole punch set. without it, you're wasting your time. exacto with good fresh blades helps.

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 09-17-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post
.. the most crucial item to have while making gaskets is a hole punch set. without it, you're wasting your time. exacto with good fresh blades helps.
Poor mans' hole punch works pretty good (better than exacto knife). O poor mans' hole punch is simply a bolt of the appropriate size used like a regular hole punch. Lay the gasket on a very hard surface (like concrete) and give it a sharp blow. Bolts are usually concave on the end so it will cut the gasket but you may have to strike it on both sides. Using a bolt one size larger than the bolt that goes through the gasket works best.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:46 PM

For the smaller holes I often use a leather punch that looks like pliers with a wheel of different sized spokes/punches on the jaw end. Larger hole punches for leather are also available or you can use spent ammunition brass as a punch but not very many times before it distorts the brass case.