Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:29 PM

Default Engine Balancing

Hello Everyone! I began my gasgas experience two years ago with a low hour demo 07 300.Sent Forks and shock to LTR, head & carb to rb.Getting everything as dialed in as possible.Very happy with everything about the bike except the vibrations,which I found unacceptable. I tried most traditional aids for motorcycle vibrations, all having noticeable benefits but none being the cure only an aid. I was willing to look within in case it was me hanging on to tight, even though previous machines had not left my arms asleep at night. Liking the bike very much except for the vib's, I decided to go after what I belief to be the root cause, engine balance. I'm usually a do it yourself-er, but decided to treat myself to a complete rebuild at surf and turf, who specialize in crank truing and balancing. Being one of very few shops capable of performing single cylinder two-cycle crankshaft balancing.Well very long story told short this has been an amazing experience! The ignition inertia weight was left out and balance corrected.Kick starts perfectly,does not stall, awesome bottom end and must have gained a couple thousand in over-rev.I would do this to a brand new bike before ever riding it! It has to be something that would pay for itself in reliability. If this thing didn't make noise you would swear it was electric! I strongly recommend making a good thing perfect, balance your gasgas. I stepped out of the box and would like everyone to benefit. Would be more than happy to answer any question.Bill

Last edited by 360sprntr; 11-15-2011 at 09:30 PM.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:41 PM

Good post. I'd do it the next time I rebuild one. Did you also have the ignition flywheel balanced? I'm pretty sure Trail Tech provides that service.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:50 AM

Default balance

Ok i'm interested, so what part exactly are we talking about, i can't picture it in my head, the Gas Gas quad i have has very bad vibrations too the point i am snapping engine mounts, i had to remove my balance shaft as i twisted it and getting bits in Australia for it is a pain in the arse. if you could take a picture of it that would be awesome.

Cheers Bill
Old 11-16-2011, 06:31 AM

Sorry there will be no pictures, as my motor is together and running. It's a procedure that would be done during a rebuild as the crankshaft will need to come a part and reassembled with a solid mass of weight that does not swing so it can be spun. I'm on to work right know but I'll post web sight if there is interest,but I believe it to be surfnturfracing.com.Check it out there's picture's and info. Were you live you'll probably need to research who can do it. I live in Oregon, but sent my engine clear across the country. After researching were it could be done.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:33 AM

Thats close to me and right in NETRA land. Now I'm more pissed my brother sold the GG 125 before I could get it. I'd have these guys do a big bore before an EG hack for sure.

So what did you end up paying if you don't mind? i see the prices vary depending on what they have to do.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:12 AM

I feel your excitement, I had to rebuild my 90 RMX motor back in 92? i think and at that time Noleen Racing was doing balancing let me tell you that motor was smoothhhh and a double joy to ride, money well spent for sure.
Enjoy your New bike and you will be less tired after a long ride now
Old 11-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Bill, I am really interested in that.

(1)From what I've understood, a crankshaft can only be balanced for a certain part of the rpm range. Did your engine end up smooth all the way through?

(2) "The ignition inertia weight was left out" - Which part is that? I don't want to lose any flywheel-type weight, as I'm after the "no-stall factor" down low when plunking around on hillsides. Do you really still have the same "bottom end?"

Glad you found engine balancing a good solution!

Jeff
Old 11-16-2011, 01:34 PM

Hmm. I was thinking about installing the GG counterbalancer in my 2001 300 just like I did my 2002. Now I'm thinking of having the '01's crank balanced and then I can compare the two...

http://www.surfnturfracing.com/servi...rank-balancing

Looks like prices will be between $375 and $475 for disassembly, balancing and reassembling. The higher price would be if they have to add weight vs. having to subtract it from the crank.

'13 Beta 300RR - race bike
'02 GG300XC - "Billie Baroo"
'01 DR650
'02 GG 280 Pro
'06 YZ 250
'07 WR450
'00 TT125RL
'94 YZ200 - custom keeper
Old 11-16-2011, 09:12 PM

Howdy Glenn, I had to check out if my flywheel had been balanced. It was not, which surprised me and glad you asked. I will be checking that out for sure. As for how much it cost, remember I was treating myself. So I went all out with all new part's no work on my part. It cost $1185. returned to my house. Money well spent, as I would not trade for a brand new bike! When I was making the decision on what to do, STR was more than willing to let me supple all the new part's and send motor in pieces. But I just sent the whole motor and bought part's though STR.
Thank's Bill

Last edited by 360sprntr; 11-16-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:54 PM

Howdy Jeff, I was under the same understanding as yourself about RPM range. This guy has it figured out and nailed it! Very good everywhere, it just rip,s! It definitely will rev much higher effortlessly than before. The inertia weight is behind the clutch basket, and yes it really does have just as much bottom end. I was also skeptical and made contact with steahly offroad to custom build a flywheel weight for my ec ignition,which he will. Have a friend that would cnc a cover spacer,just in case. After riding it , I'm very happy and no longer have that concern. I also crave bottom end grunt, that's the reason for the 300. But was willing to give that up for a smaller bike if I couldn't solve the vibration issue. Ended up getting the best of both world's. Money well spent! Oh Ya it doesn't stall I tried.Bill